Monday 9 April 2018

Baby-Moon 2.0!

We were not counting on getting a baby-moon of any sort for this pregnancy. David's parents have time shares and they had some points they were willing to use for us to stay at the VI at Homestead in Lynden for a night! What a nice surprise!!! They even offered to watch Dom for us overnight so we could go enjoy stress-free!

We headed down to the states on Saturday, and spent the day touring around Bellingham. Little known fact, my family actually lived in Bellingham for a year and a half when I was in Grade 4 and 5. 

We were expecting terrible weather; rain and wind, but it turns out we got light cloud and warm wind for most of the day! First thing we did was go to the Marina to stop by the "Touch Tank" and go for a walk to the park. This is something we often did as a family when we lived down there, so it was nostalgic for me.


I only made him take a few obligatory selfies

So much nicer than the downpour we were expecting

The "no touch" portion of the touch-tank. Sea anemones, sea cucumbers, crabs, scary fish, star fish...


It was soo windy! Took a few tries to get a picture where my hair wasn't completely covering David's face


Playground at the park at the Marina. I remember as a kid this being SUCH a cool, huge playground. I was telling David about it and then had a big laugh as we walked up. Maybe it was really amazing when I was 8 years old and had an imagination...

After the Marina, I was ready for a seat and we were both ready for some food! We went to "Mount Bakery" which had excellent reviews. I had a delicious hot turkey & gouda sandwich, while David had the daily special - biscuits & sausage gravy. We were very hungry, but definitely forgot to account for the American portion sizes! Yikes!! 




From here, we went for a little drive (I swear everything is within 10 minutes of everything else. When I was young things felt much farther away) up to see my old house and neighborhood (elementary school, the pool, parks, etc.). The neighborhood was such a cute little area, and close to so many parks! 

Cool Last Supper artwork we saw on our way from downtown.

That's the old house! Nothing has changed. Same blue paint and red/pink/purple door!

Many memories from this Elementary School (Carl Cozier). My teacher had all these stuffed wild animals in our classroom including: Lynx, Wolf, Beaver, Pheasant, and a Hare just to name a few. He was a quirky guy, but I recall really enjoying his classes. 
This is also the first place I got in trouble, for telling a boy he "wasn't cool." I had to come up with some BS apology in front of the Principal and tell the boy, Micah, that what I meant to say was that "Everyone is cool in their own way". I was in Grade 4 at the time. 
We had to "Pledge Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America..." every morning.
One day they put the two Canadian girls in the class in charge of hanging the flag, and we definitely clumsily dropped it on the ground (a huge offense anywhere, but especially in America). 
We had some sort of "Field Day" once and I had to do some activity on stilts. I couldn't get more than 1 or 2 steps without falling over, and I let my whole team down, and they wouldn't let me give up. I was mortified. I cried. I'm still scarred by this experience. All the other teams passing by me, and them forcing me to "keep trying" when I never got going. Absolute worst nightmare. No wonder I have fear of failure!

We went up to Whatcom Falls Park to check it out, and I honestly didn't remember too much about it, but there is a lovely bridge and waterfall just off the parking lot, so we did some walking and picture-taking around there. David was continuously nagging me about not slipping, and being careful, and how I'm "making him nervous," bla bla bla. Naturally, I came out spick and span, while he slipped down a hill and muddied up his whole elbow and knee. HA!! 






Oh Dave... Good thing I reminded him to take an extra sweater! 

I wasn't quite ready for much more walking yet, so we went to Fred Meyer to look around and pick out some snacks for the evening. The walk at the Marina had really been a lot for my big pregnant body. After Fred Meyer, we drove down to Fairhaven, a super adorable few blocks with historic buildings and cute little shops. We did some window-shopping and browsing through book stores and stuff until we worked up enough of an appetite for dinner.




For the record, it smelled horrifyingly terrible.


We walked down this alley and turned the corner to see Homer & Marge creepily sitting at the end of the alley with nothing else around. EERIE!

Dinner was La Fiamma - Woodfire oven pizza. Yum yum! We weren't starving, so we just shared a medium "Sweet & Savory" pizza. 



After dinner we were both beat and ready to relax! It was time to head to Lynden. A quick 25-30 minute drive later we arrived at the golf resort and checked into our room. It was a cute, very quiet place with a nice view of a pond and the golf course from our room. Not a lot to report from our stay at the hotel, because we literally checked in and then spent the next 4-5 hours watching home renovation shows on the cable TV. Zero regrets. We do not watch TV at home, because there's always something to be doing and I can't sit and relax for that long when there are dishes on the counter, or meals to be planned, or shelves to be organized, etc. It was perfect!


Ring Pops! Because we're grown-ups, so we can!

We went to sleep around 11, and didn't roll out of bed until 830!!! When is the last time (other than when I had food poisoning) that I stayed in bed until 830?! It's been well over a year. We had waffles at the hotel for breakfast,and puttered around until it was time to check out. 


After that we were excited to go pick up our boy! We went to David's parents' for lunch and Dom was napping when we got there, so it was nice to go fetch him when he woke up :). I missed him, but not to the extent that we weren't able to enjoy our time without him. We definitely enjoyed it and the lack of responsibility!! 

Now it's back to reality, but I am done work and looking forward to another year off from the office! Wish me luck in the next few weeks/months as I juggle being home all day with a toddler, being 36+ weeks pregnant, bringing a newborn home with a toddler, and trying to be a regular human being all at the same time. I'll need the well-wishes! 

1 comment:

  1. What a great getaway! I've never seen a pic of the Bellingham house before! Looks super cool. I'm so excited for Baby Girl to get here and to see you guys regularly again!

    ReplyDelete