Tuesday 17 April 2018

36 Weeks (CHIHUAHUA/CABBAGE PATCH DOLL) - 2.0: Apr 10-16


The most common comments I get about my belly from everyone (friends, family, strangers) is that it looks like I just shoved a basketball under my shirt.
  • We installed our car seat base this week. We were hoping to get it into the middle seat in the middle row of our vehicle, but it won't fit properly unfortunately. I think we may just have to upgrade to a mini-van before we get to 3 kids... We have one car seat on either side, and Sherlock will be moving to one of the back seats. This is all fine, except it makes it nearly impossible to drive passengers other than the 4 of us :(
  • Another midwife appointment this week! 
    • My Weight: 140lb (up 20.5lb from the first appointment. 7lb less than 36 weeks pregnant with Dom.)
    • BP: 106/72
    • Fundus: 34cm. Still 2cm "small", but growing consistently, so no concerns!
    • Baby HR: 142-146 BPM
    • I asked her about the pressure I'd been feeling in my pelvis, particularly after walking or standing for a long time, and she said to just listen to my body. If I'm uncomfortable, stop. Easier said than done!!
    • Baby is still head down, and she said it feels like baby has an above average head-size for gestational age, but my belly is still measuring 2cm small. So.... small baby with giant head? Great! Haha
    • Her prediction is that my labor will be 4-6 hours start to finish this time, and that I will only push for 15 minutes, AND that I will not make it past 39 weeks. If my water breaks, head to the hospital. If contractions are 5 minutes apart for 30-60 minutes, head to the hospital. If I'm feeling pressure in my bottom with my contractions or they're getting intense quickly, call 911 and get taken to hospital in ambulance... Oh my! That makes it sound so stressful! This is of course not a guarantee. It all depends on baby's positioning, etc, but she gave me some exercises to start next week (37 weeks) to get baby into prime position. 
    • Starting on April 17 baby can come anytime (one you're 37 weeks baby is considered term), so I can pick up my activity levels and if I start getting contractions or cramping I can choose whether to stop and rest, or keep it up. Yikes... stop making it sound like it's going to happen so soon!
    • My Group B Strep test came back negative, so that's nice. If I do go to my due date they'll have to do the test again, since it's only good for 5 weeks, but that's fine. 
    • Interesting note! I asked her about sleeping positions because everyone says you have to sleep on your left side during 3rd trimester. Apparently that is old science, and it's no longer the "recommended" way to sleep. She said I can sleep however I am comfortable, except for flat on my back on a flat surface. If I want to sleep on my back, prop one side up so it's kind of like a wedge. If I want to sleep on my right, go for it! If I want to sleep on my belly, good luck, but go for it if I have a fancy pillow for that. That is nice to hear, because at this point it's so uncomfortable to sleep that I need to change positions much more often. 
    • I'd been having these hot flashes almost with Braxton Hicks contractions the last couple weeks. I feel the contraction come on, and it's like I get super flushed and hot on my face, and it feels like all the blood gets trapped in my head. I asked about this, and she just said it's fine, but drink more water if it happens. Deal. 
  • I am experiencing all sorts of punches(?) or headbutts(?) to the crotch this week. I guess it would be my cervix, but it is painful! It catches me off guard and makes me have to stop and catch my breath for a second. It only lasts as long as the "bump" does. If it hadn't JUST been confirmed by the midwife that baby was head down, I'd definitely think this baby is upside down and kicking me down there. Those are hard punches! If she's that far down and engaged already there's a good chance she will try make an early appearance. There has been lots of low down movement... You can come early, little one, but not TOO early! My guess is May 4 :) Just because!
  • I have been so blessed with an uncomplicated pregnancy so far. I am incredibly grateful for that.  
  • We have officially decided not to hire a doula for this labor and delivery. The cost is high ($500), and I feel like we have a much better idea of what to expect. Also, if labor and delivery is as quick as the midwife says, then the hourly rate for the doula would be really good! Haha. Besides that, the midwife team is very supportive and our experience with the L&D nurse at SMH last time was super positive. I'd love it if she was there again this time. We'll save the $500 we don't have anyway.
  • TMI Moment... sorry! I've been having more "discharge" lately, and my boobs are getting sore. More signs my body is gearing up for this baby! BH contrations and "actual" contractions are quite frequent now. No pattern, and mostly completely painless, but they're still a little annoying and uncomfortable! 
  • 36 Weeks Pregnant with Dominic. The week that everything started to feel real and imminent. I can't believe how different my belly looks! My muscles were so much more taught the first time around. This time my body didn't get a chance to heal and re-tone before I got pregnant again, so it's all just hanging out there. My whole belly is much lower. 
  • 36 Weeks Huggies Graphic
    Pregnant lady

Freshly awoken from a nice long nap! <3

1 comment:

  1. You look so good and I can't believe how close you are! We have so much going on those first couple weeks of May and I keep forgetting that I will be meeting your baby somewhere in there too! Love a freshly woken baby :)

    ReplyDelete