Monday 4 January 2016

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!

Since our holiday season was so busy, we decided to take things a little slower this past weekend. {Last weekend I had 5 days off, this weekend I only had 3 days off, but it felt twice as long as my 5 day weekend!}

New Years Eve David and I were invited out to a couple parties/get-togethers. We appreciated, but declined these invitations. We opted for a date night! We realized as we were at dinner at the Cactus Club that we hadn't gone out to eat with just the two of us since... Orlando in November? Almost two months! (Good for the budget I suppose)

We both got a gift certificate to Cactus from my Oma D., so we decided to go out and indulge! Use up those gift cards! Don't worry about the money, just get what we want - this is very hard for me, everything is typically very calculated (surprise!). 


Two delicious sangrias to start us off!

I can't believe how much my stomach has grown over the holidays! I got the Creole chicken with mashed potatoes and asparagus. Typically I struggle to finish this meal, but I even had enough room at the end to help David by eating a rib! Embarrassing!

Sherlock was feeling particularly snuggly that evening.

My boys.

Too many parties for Sherlock too apparently! At least David and I made it until Midnight (barely).


New Years Day we woke up to gorgeous blue skies and cold weather! 


The view of the mountains from my craft room. I still love that I have a craft room, although it is under-used.

Mom and I met up and took the dogs for a brisk walk at Tynehead to enjoy the crisp weather!

Because of the moisture in the air, as well as the cold weather lately, the frost built up on all the trees. It was really beautiful!


David and I had a late lunch/early dinner. I'm a little embarrassed to admit it consisted of nacho chips and M&M Spinach Dip. We played Sleepy-Head while we ate so that it would seem more like a casual snack and not a meal.

With my down time on my wonderful day off, I started and finished a coloring page from my new book from Jeff! Funky eh?

Dad got a new deep fryer for Boxing Week, as his old one finally stopped working on Christmas Eve as he was trying to make croquettes (after 29 years - it was a wedding gift). That was a disappointing loss - the croquettes, not the deep fryer. Naturally, now that he has a fancy new fryer, we must fry everything! Over the weekend they made more croquettes, potato chips, french fries, and these delicious onion rings!

Beer-battered onion rings. So perfectly crispy!

New years Day was also the day the new Sherlock special came out! Sherlock - The Abominable Bride. The cinematography in this series is unparalleled. The dialogue as well... truly a treat. 

This episode was so captivating, I watched it twice over the weekend. Things made a lot more sense the second time around!

I made a Shutterfly calendar for my parents and myself for Christmas this year. Naturally... It's a Sherlock calendar for David and I. He's such a picturesque/photogenic dog!

Saturday, David and I spent the morning doing some chores. Later on, we decided to see if Scott wanted to come over since he's heading home Monday. We spent almost the entire day playing games. I never used to be that into games, but we had a blast!

This is a very odd game that Scott brought from Edmonton. Definitely NSFW (I just learned this means "Not Safe For Work"), but it's good for a laugh!

Despite all the crap-food we'd eaten over the holidays, we were craving pizza. The Looneyspoons Collection has a recipe called Barbecutie Patootie Chicken Pizza. I did the grocery shopping and then we made two delicious BBQ chicken pizzas!

So yummy! I'd buy this. Also, so easy!

We played 3 games of Settlers of Catan (one of Scott's Christmas presents). Scott won twice, David won once. One time Scott beat us in 20 minutes or so. I'd never seen such a quick game of Settlers!

Sunday morning we were off to church a few minutes early. It was our first service in the new building on Fraser Highway! What an amazing way to kick off the new year! The building is still a work in progress. There are a few things that have to be done in the next few weeks, months, years. There is no flooring yet in the foyer or sanctuary, the kitchen isn't entirely set up/hooked up, etc. 

Foggy Days in Provinceton!


Group photo before entering the building for the first time as a church community!

The sanctuary. 

First worship service. We ran out of chairs because there were so many visitors and new families coming to check it out! 

After church and some visiting we were off to David's parents house for brunch! Aunty Val is heading back to Winnipeg on Tuesday, so it was our last brunch with her before she leaves. We had French Toast with homemade syrup! It was delicious! I was so excited about eating my french toast I forgot to take a photo of it... TWICE!

Sherlock and a rare photo of Larry & Shelley's dog, Mathias. He is 12 years old, but was playing like a puppy yesterday! I'm sure he will be sore after all that running around!

After brunch we went to my parents house for a last dinner with Scott before he heads home. We watched Sherlock again since Jeff & Adam missed it, and then went to Edith & Arthur's for dinner!

Shadow looking rather distressed. I wasn't petting her enough obviously. Poor Sherlock looks jealous too!

After dinner David and I zipped home and did a speed-tidy of our house. Katrina and Brayden were on their way to the Keg in Langley for their anniversary dinner tradition (anniversary is actually January 5) and stopped by since Brayden hadn't seen our place! We had a nice, albeit short visit. They won't be back until May most likely, so we won't see them again for a long while! That is, unless we decide to venture out to Edmonton for Scott's grad. In that case, they offered to let us stay with them! Perfect!

The rest of our evening, as most evenings end, we watched a couple episodes of Friends. It never gets old!

What's this?! Snow on the roads!? Sketchy drive to work this am through the neighborhoods, but I made it!



No comments:

Post a Comment