Monday 18 January 2016

Happy Birthday Ajooni!

Saturday evening I attended Ajooni's first birthday party. 
{Ajooni is my friend Monica's little girl}

Monica planned a beautiful party at a hall for Ajooni. It is my understanding that having a large party (like almost wedding sized) is a cultural tradition. 

I'd never been to a first birthday - or any birthday for that matter - that was so grand! There were appetizers and a full buffet dinner, DJ music, a bounce house, open bar, candy bar, popcorn machine, and even a selfie station. {I am just realizing now I forgot to use the selfie station. Oops!}

I apologize for the poor quality of the photos. my iPhone 5S doesn't do well in low light. I was intending on bringing a "real" camera, but it's much simpler to use the phone that is already in my hand!

Monica purchased this from a Facebook bidding site. It's pretty cute and makes some super tasty popcorn!

A Lohri ceremony was held outside the hall. I'm not positive exactly what the significance of the ceremony is, but everyone took a handful of sesame seeds and tossed them into the fire for good luck.

Michelle and I made Cotton Candy before the party. Later in the evening when it ran out David and I made some more. We had a lineup of kids (and some adults, let's be serious) watching and waiting for the delicious treats! Making cotton candy look nice isn't as easy as it looks!

Michelle and I before she left for a Celebration of Life. (We are now called "Rechelle" according to Monica)

Ajooni was spoiled with gifts and cards!

Oh. I forgot to mention that at the candy bar there was a MILK AND COOKIES STATION! Monica truly thought of everything!


We had lots of fun and really appreciate all the hard work and planning that went into the party! I forgot to get a shot of the birthday girl! She was decked out in a tiara and an adorable polka-dot dress! Love!

The party was the main feature of our weekend, but there were a few other fun things that happened as well...

Thursday night Oma had some people over for dinner! She had David and I, my parents, and Aunty Sonya over for Boerenkool met worst. If you're unaware what that is... you're not Dutch! It's kale and mashed potatoes topped with beef gravy and served with rookworst (sausage). We also eat ours with pickles. I don't know if that's a Dutch thing, or just an "our family" thing. The cold, crunchy, vinegary pickles are a nice contrast with the warm, soft mashed potatoes. I'm salivating just thinking about it!

{The Dutch: eating kale before it was cool.}

A visit to Oma's isn't complete without a game of Crazy Dice!

Friday and Saturday David was a part of an alumni basketball tournament. I watched his two games Friday evening. It was nostalgic for me sitting in the stands with his parents watching him play. That hasn't happened since high school (almost 7 years ago!).


Saturday morning I had band practice and then was hanging out with Sherlock for a while before getting ready to go to the party. I like this picture because I feel like he looks like a giant. Also, I find it rather creepy how his one eye is sort of open.



Lots of fun things going on lately, but I feel like I need a vacation! Not from work necessarily... just from being busy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment