Thursday 25 February 2021

Thankful Thursday - 254 & Lately

My last few posts have been more focus posts, so they've missed a lot of the day to day. 

*Heads up, there are some pictures in here of me and my belly. They're tasteful, but do show some skin*

This week I am thankful for...

1. New Local Library. The Clayton Rec Centre is half-open, but the library is available to us now! Emilia and I went last Thursday while Dom was at preschool to register for a library card and pick out a few books. It's been so nice having this new rotation of books in the house this week! The kids spend a lot more time sitting down reading by themselves, together, and of course pestering us to read to them. The favourite this week is the Frozen Storybook Collection. 






A rare moment as I cook dinner with all three quiet on the couch. I think I had an audiobook playing in the background - sometime I'll have it with complete silence maybe... One can dream :)

2. Photographer Husband. I reluctantly asked Dave to take a few pictures of me that were "just for me" with my belly. I was a little nervous, but it was fun, and the pictures way exceeded my expectations! They made me feel confident and beautiful, which helps when I physically feel exhausted and uncomfortable. "Just for me" clearly means share on the blog... Haha



Sorry, you may not have been expecting so much skin...Oh well! My blog, and you were warned! :)

3. Paying it forward. When I was due with Dom, I got a gift basket from some people at work and it included all sorts of postpartum supplies that I did not even know I needed. I decided to pay it forward for Aly & Ashleigh, and finally got their gift baskets to them this week! It includes: a crochet baby blanket (all the 2021 Gerber babies will have matching patterns with different colours), a cozy crochet bear toque, breast pads, Lanolin, Bum Bum Balm, epsom salts, stool softeners, Mother's Milk Tea, homemade lactation bites, and a "Hello Baby" book. Plus it all came in a handy little rubbermaid! (Thank you Costco!). Gift baskets are my favorite kinds of gifts to give and often receive as well. I love putting thought into them and always take far too long putting them together and perfecting everything. Hi, I'm an Enneagram 1, and I am a perfectionist. 

4. Offers of "bubble" childcare. Scott offered to watch the kids for us one evening and we went out to Camp Beer Company. Was the most normal we've felt since summer, and it was so nice! I got a Starbucks to enjoy, and bought some snacks at the brewery :). Then Mom texted and asked if she could take the kids from 4-7 yesterday evening. Um... yes! We had chili for dinner, and went to the new Duke's Ice Cream shop in Clayton with Scott & Ashleigh. I have been having a really hard time lately with feeling pulled in a thousand different directions, not having the energy to get things done around the house, for the kids, for myself, etc. I feel completely overwhelmed much of the time and then end up really uncomfortable on the couch, or not eating/drinking enough during the day. So these breaks from the big kids are SO welcome. 

5. Women's Prayer Night. Our church organized a Zoom evening for "moms in the thick of it" and I signed up. A gift bag showed up the day before with goodies to enjoy during the call. I love our church. I opened it up and inside I found: 6 DELICIOUS macarons made by Desiree (@sweet.little.bakeshop), a homemade nanaimo bar from a lady in the church (honestly probably the best nanaimo bar I've ever had), some tea, aged cheddar and gouda cheese, and a mini bottle of red wine. Remember me saying I loved gift baskets? This falls under that category and I could not have been happier. What a thoughtful thing to do for all these moms who have been struggling to keep it together the last year, and are burnt out and rarely find time to do things for themselves. The prayer evening was really lovely too, and it felt good to see some of the faces I haven't seen in a year, and to connect with some new people. 


Bonus points for very moderate wine consumption (for obvious reasons), and having leftovers for the next day or two!

6. Dom sometimes understands where my limits are. He came down during quiet time on Tuesday, which happens almost daily, and I don't fight it anymore. I was JUST sitting down to enjoy a cup of tea, a cookie, and open up a book I got for ME at the library. I laid out clear boundaries, saying, "You are welcome to be down here, but it's Mommy's quiet time, and he can sit quietly with me, or do any of the following activities: x, y, z. Oh, and no snack until 2:30". He managed to do just that, giving me almost 2 more hours of quiet time to read my book. The next day he also let me close my eyes for 30 minutes. This boy really understands and enjoys independent play. Can someone please remind me how we accomplished this so that Emilia can be the same? It's been a major struggle for me with her needing me all. the. time. 


Practicing math with Daddy on the cash register (calculator). They're both so proud <3



7. Online games. Jeff, Adam, Dave and I have played Colonist (Settlers of Catan) online twice now. It's pretty well done! We Zoom call while we do it so we can chat still. This past week, I just happened to pull out a surprise win at the end! I very rarely win Settlers, and was low threat the whole time until the last two rounds when I stole longest road, built a settlement, and bought a development card with a victory point. BAM!

8. Tuesdays. I may mention Tuesdays every week for a while, but after 4 years of parenting, these are the one bit of time I have consistently with NO CHILDREN (except the one kicking me and sucking the life out of me from the inside). This week I spent time sitting on the couch relaxing and reading, sitting in the sun and getting a sunburn, tidying a little bit, pulling out some newborn clothes, and juuuuuuust doing me. The rest of the afternoon was a bust and I ended up in tears and taking a nap at 6:30 pm, but the morning still counts!

9. A new (to us) glider chair. We tossed our old lazboy recliner chair last year, and now just have an old wooden rocking chair in the nursery from when I was a kid. My newborn nighttime routine involves me feeding the baby in the nursery, so I wanted something a bit more comfortable. Mom sent me a link to a Facebook Marketplace listing for a second-hand glider chair and we picked it up yesterday for $70. 

10. A new (to us) baby swing. A lady from church borrowed our infant carseat for a few weeks, and when she returned it this week she offered us a baby swing. It's more compact than our old one, so we accepted. We figure if we don't use it maybe my parents want it or something. Well... it's dead silent when it's on! Soooo ya. That's a keeper! :)

One more thing. Happy Birthday Benny! Mr. Benedict turns one today :) We celebrated with a trip to the dog park!

The Birthday pup didn't make the cut for the photo apparently haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment