Thursday 10 December 2020

Thankful Thursday - 243

This is kind of weird, but I think maybe when I posted my last Kids Say post on Facebook it didn't share properly. Either that or people just didn't care to read as much haha! It got about a quarter the reads as it usually does. I know these are a crowd favourite, so here is the link again just in case it was missed :)

https://reneekimber.blogspot.com/2020/10/kids-say.html

Back to business! This week I am thankful for...

1. Girlfriends. We had a Chickaletta Zoom chat last night for the first time in months, and it was so great to see everyone's faces again. It's so not the same as our weekly play dates, but it was very refreshing and nice to catch up. I can't wait until we can see everyone's babies again. There have been two babies born since the pandemic started, and mine is next. Our group keeps growing!

2. Finding ways to get Dom into crafting. Dom is not a crafter. At preschool he's done (well less than half-done) one craft in the months he's been there. He would much rather play something else, or watch others do the work. However, with this advent calendar, he's been so into it at home. Even asking to do crafts when it's not on the agenda. This craft was a major winner. It's inspired by something I saw on Pinterest, but I modified it for what I thought would work for my kids. 

I again forced myself to relinquish glue-control. They actually both did great placing their leaves and keeping the glue on the paper!


Look at that engagement!

My sample-craft (prepped the day before)

Emilia's wreath - check out that very methodical placement of the pompoms. She also put a dot of glue on the end of each leaf for me to sprinkle glitter on. She is so me...

And then Dom's beautiful wreath. A bit more of a cacophony of large decorations, but hey. He did it! He filled every leaf without any extra encouragement! These wreaths are now hanging on their bedroom doors and they love them. 

3. Fresh bread. I am not a baker. I like cooking, but baking is definitely not my activity of choice. Somehow I've gotten into sourdough. Scott brought over some starter and now of course it's my responsibility to keep it alive and use it. Just give me a responsibility and some rules; it'll get done. I've made two loaves of sourdough and some wheat thin crackers so far. The bread must be foolproof. I keep thinking it's going to be a disaster, and then it still comes out tasting delicious. I don't know how people make them look so pretty with the scoring and perfect flouring and baking, but I'm happy that they're edible! Haha. My starter has taken a life of its own so I finally just had to put it in the fridge to slow it down. It was wild; much too happy. 

4. Christmas lights! Last night our advent activity was supposed to be "watch Rudolph", but after I walked the dog in the afternoon I realized it was going to be way too nice an evening to waste. Dave and I decided to switch two days, and we went for a Christmas light drive instead and will watch the movie another night! We had an early dinner (tuna melts on sourdough, yum!) and then hopped in the van and drove around for just over an hour. We hit up some houses in Clayton, and then a couple in Fraser Heights, with a stop for Timbits in between. Both kids decided they had to pee on our way to FH, so we pulled over and lo and behold, they both peed! Thankful we brought the potty! Haha. 


Emilia got a little confused and started wandering to the door. Pretty sure she thought we were trick-or-treating as this was our first stop haha. 

Dom was a little overwhelmed at our first stop


Thanks for the heads up about this house Katrina! She texted me about a house-sized Death Vader and big white robot guy haha! Death Vader was obviously a typo, but I had a chuckle when we pulled up and Emilia right away accurately said, "STORMTROOPER!"

5. Speaking of pee, because everyone cares, I'd say Emilia is officially potty-trained. Pandemic potty-training! I highly recommend! Just kidding, what I actually recommend is waiting until your kids are READY. On THEIR terms if possible. It just so happens that both Dom & Emilia decided they were ready during this never-ending pandemic when we weren't leaving the house anyway. 

6. Speaking of Pandemic (a few unintentional segues here), thankful for a light at the end of the COVID tunnel! A vaccine has been approved for use in Canada. The actual rollout and release of restrictions will take many more months, and I don't anticipate things will be opened up again completely until next fall/winter, BUT... at least there is hope! Strict restrictions have been put in place in BC (and most of Canada) so NO social gatherings indoors or outdoors are allowed. Period. Until at least January 8. Goodbye Christmas! I grieve a little bit, but also at least we're not in this alone. So 2020 may be a Zoom Christmas... we'll never forget it!

Today our Advent activity was to make some Christmas ornaments. Again they were both totally engaged! Emilia helped me pick out the pompoms at Walmart today :) I bought two 2-packs of clear plastic ornament balls so we just pulled the tops out, let them put pom poms, sequins, bells, and beads inside and then put the tops back on. Sooooo simple, mess free, and special for the littles! Also good for fine motor skills.




Oops, I cut one of Dom's out of both pictures. Oh well.


I didn't get a chance to re-take the above photos because before I knew it they both took off to the tree and hung up their ornaments!

No comments:

Post a Comment