Thursday 3 December 2020

Thankful Thursday - 242

 This week I am thankful for...

1. Emilia is potty-trained! That was easy!! Last Friday we were down to 5 diapers and I really didn't feel like buying more. Dave and I decided we were ready to potty train Emilia, and she also decided she was ready. The first day she had one mini accident and then just got it! She's so proud of her self and tells us every day that now she's ready to go to preschool! We're seriously considering sending her one day a week with Dom in January assuming things are still open. It would give me an extra 4 hours a week to work or be alone (GASP!!! WHAT IS ALONE?!), and they are both thrilled at the idea. We could send her both days, but I like that Dom has his time to himself to make friends and grow independently, and I like that Emilia has that time at home to play independently and hang out with me. 

This is her face every time we do preschool drop off. She's so excited for the day she gets to go. (This was literally taken outside the gate at drop-off)

And Dom at preschool drop off :) Cheesy almost 4-year-old smile

Dom in the reading corner with one of his friends and preschool

She wanted to take a belly photo like Mommy this week <3

Dom was such an awesome encourager this week with her potty training! I'm sure it helped the process be so quick! Hooray for being done with diapers for 4.5 months!! It's been 4 years of diapers every single day. Going to be so nice (and money-saving!)

2. The start of Christmas traditions! I know I've said it before, but I'm really excited for Christmas this year as we start traditions with the kids. We started our advent calendar this week. So far we've made Rudolph garlands and watched Lego Star Wars Holiday episode. Today we are doing a Christmas I-Spy colouring sheet. We also read a mini-book from our Christmas Story Advent book set. I picked things that seemed doable for our activities. For example, while I admire those with the patience for it, I did not pick "make Christmas cookies" as one of our activities. We can make cinnamon buns from a tube instead haha!

Cornerstone (Sunday School) dropped off a bag for us with this nativity set and another little craft in it. Super cute idea and Dom and Emilia love playing with the characters!

I may never have a non-Chandler photo of these two again...




Check out that focus!

Proud of myself for relinquishing control and letting her put the eyes up at the antlers haha. 

I let them do all their own gluing and "colouring" (they weren't so into that part, mostly just drew a couple cirlces on the faces). Dom's are 1,3,4,6. Emilia's are 2, 5, 7. I am so impressed with the placement of Dom's features, but also Emilia! Not bad! Also if you know Dom, you know it's a big deal that he sat down and did a crafty thing for 15 minutes and enjoyed himself! With no coercing from me! 

We even went down to the theatre to watch Star Wars. Very special!

3. COVID restrictions. Seems like a funny thing to be thankful for because it means that we don't get to see our families or friends, or go to church, or live a normal life. However, I look at the states or at other provinces, and even parts of our own province, and see what happens when people don't follow/have these restrictions and it is so scary. I am grateful we have a government who takes charge and sets boundaries and encourages us to do the right thing. It's a hot topic that churches are closed right now, and while I do understand it to a degree (why are big box stores and bars/restaurants open if churches can't have socially distant services?), I am also more than happy to lock down and follow the rules in order to keep those around me safe! It's temporary. As Christians I feel it's more important for us to care for one another and keep our distance than to break rules and gather right now. 
Maybe I won't be happy for COVID restrictions closer to Christmas time, but we're planning Christmas things around them and hopefully it all works out! Everyone just needs to do their part!

We did manage to take advantage of one nice morning last weekend and went to Tynehead. Jeff on Dom's bike haha!

4. More crafting. Ashleigh and I used the 50% off sale at Michaels to get some stuff to make a Christmas wreath to follow up our Fall wreaths we made a couple months ago. Mine has little lights in it that you can't see in the photo, but it looks nice in the dark.



5. Instagram gifties! I got my gifts from the Instagram giveaway I won! Thank you to Dave for helping me take a nice photo of them haha.

Just awaiting mine and Emilia's matching sweaters in the mail! 

6. Big Little Feelings course. If you are a parent and don't follow Big Little Feelings on Instagram, drop everything and do it! I follow a lot of parenting accounts, but they're my favourite. I actually spent $99 USD on their online course for Dave and I to go through to get us on the same page with some things. We aren't even a quarter of the way through and it has already made SUCH a difference in our home life! 

On a totally unrelated note... do you like pop, but not the sugar and calories?! Then this is for you! President's Choice sparkling water came out with a new line of pop-like drinks. This is Vanilla & Cherry Cola, they have Cream Soda, Root Beer and Gingerale. I honestly prefer this zero sugar, zero calorie version better than the actual version of these pops. I don't know what sorcery goes into them, but the ingredients are just, "carbonated water & natural flavours"... Worth a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment