Monday 18 December 2017

The Show Must Go On

This weekend was SO busy. I was flat out on Sunday morning. Woke up at 6:30 with Dom, fed him and watched the News, and then cried because I was so tired. David and I switched off taking naps at that point because we were both tanked. David was also getting sick at this point... Just in time for Christmas :(.

Friday evening Ashley invited me to go see the Singing Christmas Tree at Broadway Church. I had never gone before, but it was their 50th anniversary since starting the show. SO FUN! I can't believe I've never been! Right up my alley. Talented musicians, very talented singers, live orchestra, live theatre, and Christmas themed! I think this will have to become a new tradition. Next year we have to arrive more than an hour early though. We almost didn't make it in! They over-sell the (free) tickets to account for people not showing up, but everyone and their neighbours seemed to have showed up that night! Hundreds turned away at the door. 




Saturday was the busiest day of the weekend. David's parents came over to watch Dom for the afternoon/evening because we had our Gerber Christmas with my family planned for the full day! We all met at Adam & Aly's house in Vancouver at 2pm for some snacks and to start off our games tournament.

Early bath-time with this cutie!


Instead of drawing names and buying gifts for each other, we all put in $25-$50 per person and had a tournament of games, each worth a different number of points. The winner of the tournament got all the money and got to donate it to a charity of their choice. Four of us chose the Advent Conspiracy at our church, where they're raising money to build a well in an African country who is drinking out of a mud puddle right now. Scott won the tournament, so I'm glad the cause I chose was still supported from this!





We started out with a game of Linkee (Boys v. Girls) at Adam's, and the boys won by a hair. After the game was over and our tummies were stuffed, we all hopped in our cars and drove downtown to attend Cirque Du Soleil - Kurios. I've never been to Cirque before, but I used to LOVE watching it on TV when I was younger. 
Oh my goodness! I loved every second of the show. It was overwhelming and exciting. At the start of intermission, Aly was saying how stressed out she was during the last act and I agreed. I checked my Fitbit to see what my heart rate was at, and it was 96!!! I hadn't moved from my seat in over an hour! Hahaha! Wow. That is like a light workout!
During the second act, the "clown" character came and scanned the audience for someone to join him on stage. He ended up settling on Marta, who was directly in front of us. She got brought up on stage and the act was basically him trying to woo her, but he acted as himself, a bird, a cat and a T-Rex. It is really hard to describe and impossible to do it justice, but it was hysterical. She was great up there. I would have died a thousand deaths! That's my worst fear when I go to shows! Definitely made it all that much more memorable for us! Only one out of 2000 people to get called up! 






This was definitely one of the best T-Rex impressions I've ever seen!

 
A rainy walk back to the cars

After Cirque was over, we all convoyed back to our house, where David's parents had already gotten Dom to sleep and were awaiting our arrival. They headed home, and we prepped some more delicious snacks and got ready to play the rest of our games! Codenames was next on the docket, followed by Hearts. The top 5 at this point played one game of Crazy Dice to determine the winner of the tournament. The top 5 just happened to also be all the boys. Funny how that works eh! As mentioned above, Scott won and donated to the Advent Conspiracy. 

I knit all the girls some ear warmers for Christmas.

Scott & Dave with their mis-matching matching socks



Delicious Cranberry Jalapeno Cream Cheese Dip. Definite Winner!

By the time the games were all over it was approaching 11pm and we were all pretty beat! Time for bed! Goodbye everyone! Merry Christmas!

Sunday morning I woke up barely functioning. People hangover to the extreme! Dave and I got up, and by 8:15am I was already in bed for my nap. He went for a nap at 9:30 and we traded off. That was enough to get us through the rest of the day! David's sister Rachel came to watch Dom that afternoon/evening as we had tickets to go see the new Star Wars. I'm not allowed to give anything away obviously, but I'll just say thumbs up! 

Living the life in the lazyboy seats at Landmark Cinemas


Three shows in one weekend! 
Now it's Monday, and I'm TOAST!! Looking forward to a day of nothing later this week. Not today or tomorrow or the next day though (yawn!). 

Wrapping presents with an (almost) toddler in the house...


No comments:

Post a Comment