Tuesday 13 September 2016

Dog Agility - Matsqui Sept 10-11 (First Trial!)

This weekend we had Sherlock's first agility trial. It was held at the Abbotsford Exhibition Park in a barn with stadium-seating along one side, and two rings running dogs at the same time. It was our first time doing any sort of agility at this venue, so I wasn't expecting much out of Sherlock.

Overall, Sherlock did exactly what I expected. He was distracted, excited, over-stimulated, exhausted, but boy did he have fun!


BASIC AGILITY RULES

Standard: follow the course numerically. Faults occur for knocked bars, refusals for jumps and tunnels (dog comes close and then dodges or backs away from obstacle) and off-courses (dog takes wrong obstacle). No refusals called on contacts (teeter, A-Frame, table or dog walk) or weaves in starters. 
Gamblers: each obstacle is worth a certain amount of points. Plan your opening (40 seconds) to get as many points as possible, taking each obstacle no more than 2 times. When the buzzer goes, you have 18 seconds to get to and complete the final gamble. It's a gamble because you have to stay behind the tape on the ground and get the dog to the the obstacles at a distance from you. 
Jumpers: follow the course numerically. Faults occur for knocked bars and refusals for jumps and tunnels. 
Snooker: each obstacle is worth a certain amount of points, indicated on your course map. You must complete a red jump, followed by an obstacle, followed by a different red jump, followed by an obstacle, followed by a third red jump, and then another obstacle. Once you have completed these things, then you can start on your closing sequence (obstacles numbered 2-finish). You need 32 points to get a Q (Qualifying Score), and you have to get your 32 points within 60 seconds. If you accidentally take two red jumps in a row, or two obstacles in a row in the opening sequence you are whistled off the course. No mercy in Snooker!

Saturday we had 5 runs: Starters Standard 1, Starters Gamblers 1, Starters Gamblers 2, Starters Standard 2, and Starters Jumpers 1. 


Starters Standard 1
This was Sherlock's first run in the new building, and our first run under pressure. Overall I suppose he did pretty well! We ran out of time because he decided to visit people and attempt a mad escape out of the ring a few times... It's tough with all that excitement around! Haha

Results: 112 faults. Allotted time: 72 seconds; our course time: 114 seconds (42 seconds over = 42 faults); and then the remaining 70 faults are for refusals, missed obstacles, and all around goofiness.

Starters Gamblers 1
I really like gamblers, because as long as the dog is taking obstacles, you're getting points! In hindsight, I would have done this run much differently, anticipating Sherlock's speed (or lack thereof). We would have completed the mini-gamble before the time ran out, and we ALMOST completed the final gamble (less than 2 seconds shy)... That would have been a Q (Qualifying Score). Live and learn!!

Results: 15 points. Allotted Time: 58 seconds; our course time: 59.44 seconds. 
{If we had completed the mini-gamble in time that would have been 22 points in the opening. 20 points are required with completing the final gamble in order to Q}

Starters Gamblers 2
Sherlock was pretty dead by this point, but we had a plan, and Sherlock did pretty well! We got enough points in our opening (need minimum 20), but I lost track of time and ended up in a terrible spot for when the closing buzzer went (my bad...). Sherlock got distracted during the final gamble or he totally could have had it! Again, very happy with how this turned out (even though Sherlock was a distractoid). 

Results: 23 points in the opening. I do not know what the course time was, as the official results weren't posted for some reason. All I know is I gave up on the final gamble and just decided to end on a good note and help him out to go through the tunnel! 

Starters Standard 2
We had quite a few spectators for this run (and most of the Saturday runs), but Sherlock did very well considering how mentally exhausted he was! One moment of wanting to run out the gate to visit all his friends (You see him look right up into the stands at one point in the video), but other than that I was very happy with this run. Slow as molasses, but only 1 missed obstacle! No other faults (other than going way over the allotted time)

Results: 35.25 faults. 20 for missing jump #7 (he just blew past it and I didn't feel like correcting him); 15.25 for being over the allotted time of 67 seconds by that much! Not bad Mr. Sherly!

Starters Jumpers 1
This course came at the end of a VERY long first day of agility. He was completely exhausted. Again, I was very happy with him! He decided after the first jump that he was done and ran towards the exit where he knew all his friends and spectators were waiting. Once I got him back, I missed the 2nd jump (being frazzled) and started right on the tunnel. The rest of the run was fairly slow, but great!

Results: 34.4 faults. 14.4 for being over the allotted time of 36 seconds by that amount. 20 for missing the 2nd jump. We are getting closer and closer to Q's which is more than I could have asked for at his first trial!

Sunday we were only scheduled for three runs: Starters Standard 3, Starters Snooker 1, and Starters Jumpers 2. After our Snooker run, I made a last second decision to register Sherlock for the Starters Snooker 2 run as well... You'll see why... (insert embarrassed face)

Starters Standard 3
Considering this was Sherlock's first run of this day, and he was already tired and goofy from the day before, I'd say we did quite well in this standard run! 100% my fault that he missed the teeter the first time, and I don't know why he missed the jump before the table... Got excited about the table I suppose! Remember, no refusals on contact obstacles (like teeter and A-frame). He ran for the exits a few times that morning, but see how excited and speedy he was compared to Saturday?!

Results: 26.16 faults. 16.6 for being over the allotted 64 seconds by that amount. 5 faults for refusal on the jump before the tunnel, and 5 faults for refusal on the final tunnel when he blew past it to the exit (what a stinker!). He was much more direct able than the Saturday runs as you can see. 

Starters Snooker 1 (read rules above)
This was my first ever snooker run, and I was just figuring out the rules. I had a few people help me plan a course, and I walked it and was feeling very confident and prepared to run with Sherlock. I got him good and hyped and focused before the run, and then went in to set him up and go for the teeter. (My plan was to do 1a, 7, 1b, 7, 1c, 5, then closing sequence). As you will see in video below, Sherlock had other plans... 

Results: 1 point. ONE POINT! 

Sherlock took the first jump and booked it straight out of the ring. There was nobody watching the gate and he ran right up the stands to visit Shel (his favorite). How embarrassing after I was so ready for this run eh?! I was pretty disappointed feeling that Sherlock didn't want to be there with me at all, and almost went home for the day. I sat outside for a bit with David, and when I felt ready went back in. Time crept closer to the Snooker 2 run (which I wasn't registered for), and I took a look at the map... I got a sudden feeling of... I can do this... I can't let that be my only experience with Snooker! As they were about to start briefing and walking the course, I ran over and registered Sherlock and I for it.

Starters Snooker 2 
My plan? 1 (bottom right); 7 c, a, b; 1 (bottom middle); 3; 1 (middle left); 5 b, a; then closing sequence. 
What did we do? EXACTLY THAT! Sherlock stuck with me the entire way, and we finished with time to spare! Do you know what that means?
OUR FIRST Q!!!

Results: 45 points (only 37 required) and in 51.98 seconds (allotted 60 for the course). 
HOLY AMAZING!!! So so so happy we decided to register for this course last second. After the defeat of Snooker 1, this big win felt like a Hollywood moment for me. Proudest moment of the weekend right here. What a way to redeem ourselves!

Starters Jumpers 2
Our last course of our first trial. I was so excited after our Snooker run that I didn't even care what happened with Jumpers. Maybe that relaxed attitude (or the hot dogs I was feeding him before-hand) was a good thing! Sherlock had one moment of goofies, but the rest he stuck by me and completed the course 100% clean!

Results: 8 faults. Official results weren't posted, but I believe the allotted time for this course was 40 seconds. We finished in 48(ish) seconds with zero refusals or anything. 

SO CLOSE! If he had been just a little speedier, or didn't take that one detour around the tunnel and to the gate (where they forgot to pick up his leash... he got distracted by that a couple times), then we would have had another Q this weekend!

Overall, I am so so happy with how this weekend turned out. Sometimes I come out of the ring feeling kind of discouraged, but watching the videos back and seeing where we can improve, and seeing improvement over the weekend, I am excited to register for another trial! Maybe I should try get into another one while I can still run (although I already think I run funny with this little belly...)

Thank you to those of you who supported from the stands and from home! Much appreciated :)

This is what a very sleepy Sherlock looks like when I woke him up on Sunday at 5:45 am for day 2 of agility. That's my pillow he's curled up on. Refusing to crawl out of bed...

Sherlock having some down time between runs. He is so so calm and relaxed when we put him in his pen. Thanks in part to bringing him to trials when he was little maybe? So grateful he's not one of the dogs that barks and whines the whole time. I'll take his occasional excited toller scream over the incessant barking any day!

Our ribbons!!!! We got two ribbons for our Snooker 2 run. The big fancy one is for getting a qualifying score. The smaller one is for getting first place in our height category. (No need to mention we were the only dog jumping at 16" specials...)

2 comments:

  1. This is all way over my head, but I'm glad you were successful and had fun!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I expected it to go over most peoples' heads! I figure it will be nice for me to look back on. And those that get it will follow :)

    And yes... overall it was great fun! haha

    ReplyDelete