Monday 5 September 2016

22 WEEKS (SPAGHETTI SQUASH): Aug 28-Sep 3


  • 18 more weeks! We have known I'm pregnant for 18 weeks now, and I have 18 weeks to go... This feels more like the halfway point for me... But that still means time is winding down!
  • I think I am 5 months pregnant this week! September 1 marks 4 months until my due date... so I guess that makes me 5 months! 
  • Baby has hit the 1lb. mark now! That's like... a measurable amount! Time for me to start packing on the pounds!!
  • Baby measures about 11 inches from crown to heel. Think small doll... or spaghetti squash apparently
  • As baby's nervous system develops, his sense of sight, hearing, and touch are developing as well. He is exploring his surroundings and may be sucking his thumb or grabbing the umbilical cord. Not much to do in there I suppose! I catch myself feeling almost bad for him when he's awake and moving around in there. Obviously he's keeping busy you know...growing and stuff... I just think it must be so boring! (Guilty of being one of those moms who gives babies personalities even when it's not possible)...
    • On that note... When I have my baby (or hold any baby for that matter) and he's teeny tiny, and he "smiles" and I say something like, "Ohhh smiles for mommy?!" PLEASE don't be one of those people that says, "You know... that's just a reflex... he's not actually smiling at you..." I know... don't ruin the moment! Haha Party-poopers! ;)
  • Baby has teeny-tiny fingernails! I call baby nails talons as they are always so sharp!!
  • The other day baby was up and at 'em, so I shined a flashlight on my belly. Baby noticed... No questioning that! Started tossing and turning. Pretty bizarre! Fun to feel like we're "playing" with him. 
  • I've been getting most of the typical pregnancy symptoms: heartburn, constipation, foot cramps (or leg cramps), faintness/dizziness, etc. Nothing too crazy or note-worthy. Maybe I just forget what it feels like to be "normal" Renee. 
  • I've been really tired again lately. I find myself feeling lethargic, even though I've been up and moving around for most of the day. I find myself getting frustrated when I have to take a nap or when I just can't pry myself off the couch. I keep asking, "Why am I so tired?! I shouldn't be so tired!" David takes this opportunity to remind me I'm growing a human. So now I just say the baby is sucking the life (and the food) out of me. 
  • David and I would love to plan a baby-moon. We just have to figure out when... David is going away hiking with his dad for a week in September, and my family has a house in Lions Bay booked for a weekend in the end of November. We would love to get up to Whistler or something for a weekend before I get uncomfortable (aka third trimester), but time and money are factors! We also want to stay semi-close to home... I think Whistler is the farthest we'd go... Just in case! Any suggestions for a fun, affordable weekend away with no responsibilities?
  • Braxton Hicks Contractions? I was sitting at my desk the other day, and all of a sudden my lower abdomen felt funny. I touched it, and it was ROCK SOLID. It didn't hurt, it just felt... strange. I wasn't concerned, and figured my uterus just got rock hard for some reason. Some research on braxton hicks contractions led me to realize that is very likely what happened! They're "warm-up" contractions for the big day. Most first-time moms don't even notice them this early as they're not painful. The uterus just contracts and gets hard and sometimes contorted as it's practicing. After this happened, my baby went crazy in there!
  • We had our first prenatal class with our Midwife Community Group on August 29. We arrived early to get our "belly-check" out of the way with the midwife, and 4 of the 7 other moms (and partners who could attend) trickled in and did the same. There were a few who couldn't make it as it's the end of summer. The first class was a lesson on the program, how it works, and nutrition during pregnancy. David and I decided to bring a snack for the group. We were going to bring cookies, but Amy recommended maybe something healthier like watermelon since we're talking about sugar... GOOD CALL! As we brought out the snacks they started talking about gestational diabetes and sugary foods. Nobody would have eaten the cookies!
    • Uterus measured 20.5cm (maybe a little small, but there are factors that can cause that)
    • We got our ultrasound results. Everything looks perfect and baby is measuring in 50-90 percentile range in all areas! Healthy-size baby boy!!
    • Cervix length: 3cm (I think... they said it was good, haha!)
    • My Weight Gain since 1st appointment: 5 lb... BRING IT ON!
    • Baby Heart Rate: 148 BPM
    • My BP: 103/64
    • We have to look into booking the glucose screening test. She recommended I only do the screening test (half as long as the diagnostic test) because my risk is so low. GLADLY!
  • David and I have decided we are going to register to have a doula for labor and delivery. A doula is like a birthing coach... a support for both mom and dad. Typically they cost about $500-$1000, but for some amazing reason, they're included with the cost (covered by MSP) of our midwife program! We're getting $1500 worth of prenatal classes and doulas for free!!! A doula will be 1 on 1 with us the whole time I'm in labor, and will likely come check up on us after the baby is born as well. A midwife gives excellent care, but may be pulled to other rooms if there are other moms laboring at the same time. Since this is our first, and since studies show awesome results with having doulas, we're excited to go this route!
  • Baby had a dance party on Tuesday night! I drank some juice and went to bed, and that seems to be his play time! David's hand was on my stomach and even he thought it was crazy! Pretty cool!!!
  • We had a little impromptu photo-shoot this week to go along with our 22 week photos. Sherlock joined the party, so obviously had to get him involved!

What's in here?


It's an outtake, but I love it <3

No comments:

Post a Comment