Wednesday 14 September 2016

Baked "Apple Pie" Oatmeal - Recipe

I got this recipe for a Baked "Apple Pie" Oatmeal that I just had to try.


Baked "Apple Pie" Oatmeal
Yields: one pie plate or one 9"x13" pan. Cut to preferred serving size

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. sea salt
  • 2 apples, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 1 cup of water with 1/2 cup chia seeds whisked in - sit for 10-15 minutes to gel
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup unsweetened applesauce (I made my own applesauce)
  • 2 Tbsp. raw honey (I just used regular honey)
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • pure maple syrup (optional)
  • blueberries (optional)
Directions:

1. Heat oven to 400F.
2. Grease a pie plate (or whatever dish you decide to use) with coconut oil
3. In a large bowl, mix the oats, walnuts, cinnamon and salt. Fold in the apple slices (reserving a few for topping if you wish)
Dry ingredients

Apples folded in

4. In a separate bowl, mix the 1 cup of water with the chia seats and let sit for 10-15 minutes to gel. 

5. Add the second 1 cup of water, applesauce, honey and vanilla to chia seed mix once set. Mix well. 

6. Combine dry and wet ingredients and pour into the pie plate. Top with apple slices as desired

7. Bake for 45 minutes. Let cool 10-15 minutes before serving
Not the greatest photo, but you get the idea :) Yummies!

Extra Notes:
- I made my own apple sauce. I (okay... with David's help) chopped three apples into small cubes and put them in a pot with a little bit of water. Boil/simmer until apples are desired texture. BAM! Unsweetened applesauce!
- We ate a piece each that night, and then cut the rest and refrigerated it. Just microwave for 30 seconds or so to enjoy in the morning.
- I added a few blueberries (whatever I could scrape out of our frozen berry mix) for additional yummies.
- I sprinkled a little bit of cinnamon on top before baking as well.
- If you find it too bland, try adding a little pure maple syrup to the top after it is heated. 

Have your husband help you by peeling and chopping the apples! Saves tons of time ;)

Applesauce. So yummy and simple!


Happy baking (and more importantly; eating)! Enjoy your no added sugar, high in omega-3 fatty acids, healthy filling breakfast oatmeal! 

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I'm going to try this. Looks like a super healthy, filling breakfast for H & I. Love your time saving tip ;)

    ReplyDelete