Tuesday 19 March 2019

We Escaped! - Cove Lakeside Resort



This past weekend Dave and I escaped to the Cove Lakeside Resort in West Kelowna for two nights. It was our first time leaving both the kids, and we split them up between our parents. Leading up to the trip I was nervous that it would take me a full day to relax and stop thinking about the kids. I was wrong. It took no time at all. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I did not miss them haha!

I (we) had the most amazing time. I haven't felt that relaxed, selfish, or like myself (instead of Mom) in probably three years. I had complete freedom! It felt like a honeymoon. A 48 hour honeymoon haha!

We drove in to Kelowna, but had a couple hours before check-in at the hotel. We went to Volcanic Hills for some wine tasting and a bite to eat, and then to Mt. Boucherie which was right there for some more wine tasting. Volcanic Hills was David's first ever wine-tasting experience. We had fun, but it's definitely more fun when you don't have to worry about driving :).

Total mish-mash of phone photos and camera photos; the good ones are camera photos ;)



Scrumptious flatbread!

Silly me. I gave up alcohol for Lent, except for this weekend which was planned way before I made that decision. Now I have to wait to drink all these yummy wines we bought!

On to check-in at our hotel. The room we booked (1-bedroom suite with garden view) "required some extra maintenance", so we were upgraded to a lake-view suite! I am so incredibly grateful for this. I am quite sure this made our weekend what it was. Our room overlooked the pool and lake. It was so peaceful and beautiful. Our balcony was huge and it got sunlight from 8am-6pm every day. Heaven. I had all these plans to go out and do fun things the whole weekend, but I quickly changed my mind and wanted to spend as much time at the hotel as possible. 

Enjoyed some perks of your husband being a photographer









We got some food from Save-On Foods up the road and ate dinner in the sun, and spent the evening playing games, and just being. Just us. Such a needed break!










I made the most amazing comeback i this game of Crib Wars

Our first morning I woke up at 6:59 am. About the exact same as every day at home. I didn't expect to sleep in, and I'm a morning person anyway, so suited me just fine! We spent the morning at the hotel, had a quite bite to eat at the Bonfire restaurant downstairs, went for a walk, played some games and then got ready for more wine tasting!

I've seen worse views











First stop, the Hatch. Super rustic and unique. Our sommelier was most definitely stoned, but very knowledgable. We bought two bottles of wine there, and then it was off to Quail's Gate! Quails Gate and the Hatch are complete opposites. Quail's Gate is posh, fancy, clean and snobby. Our sommelier here was awesome though, and we had a great experience. I also really loved their wines! 





This ceiling was made from 1920's pressed aluminum from some factory or something. Moral of the story, it was really cool!







On to Quail's Gate. The sun was SO bright.




A trip to the Two Eagles Golf Course for a DELICIOUS lunch (we went back the next day, too), and then off to Mission Hill Winery. What a gorgeous place. Wow. On top of a hill, a huge expansive venue with really cool architecture. David could have spent all day here taking pictures, but I wanted to get back to the hotel to sit on the balcony!

Lunch at the golf course

Capturing the photographer capturing the next photograph :)











Chips. Guacamole. Margaritas. Nap.



Not much to report about the rest of the trip. The drive was quick and smooth, the weather was beautiful and warmish (in the sun), we had an amazing time together and I was not ready to go home! I may have cried a little realizing all the responsibility we were returning to. 

That being said, we were excited to see the kids and hear about their weekends. Dom was at David's parents' (Mama & Papa). He had a BLAST! Didn't care at all that we showed up, "Hi Mommy, Hi Daddy. Okay Papa, sandbox!" He got to to go the airport in Richmond and see the big jet planes, played in the sun in the backyard, made banana cake with Mama, played cars, and rode in Papa's big truck! 

Emilia was with my parents and she also was great all weekend. She attached herself to my mom right away, so she didn't miss me at all. She was actually rather wary and confused when we came to get her. Wait a minute... who is this? Took her a solid five minutes of one-on-one time before she smiled at me! Now she's as clingy as ever though. (why'd we have to come home again?)!


I honestly woke up Sunday morning, walked out onto the balcony looking at the view and said, "I'm just SO happy." It was the perfect weekend. I wish we could do it more often. I think we will try to make it a priority to get away for a weekend as a couple once per year. Marriage maintenance. SO important!

2 comments:

  1. that hotel view is STUNNING!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the picture of you on the deck through the doors!! What a perfect weekend for you guys!

    ReplyDelete