Monday 21 March 2016

Finally... A "Quiet" Weekend!

Don't get me wrong, I love being busy. I love seeing friends and visiting family. I love the hustle and bustle of life. But... It. Is. Exhausting

David and I have been go go go for a couple months, with not a single day "off". All great things, but this introvert needs some down time!

This weekend we hardly had any plans! Typically if we have no plans we end up inviting someone over, or visiting with people. We actually took a weekend off!

On Friday I had scheduled "Date Night" into our calendar, so we were guaranteed not to double-book ourselves. We had a lovely dinner and some drinks at Cactus Club for our date. {If you and your spouse/partner both have iPhones, you definitely need to sync your calendars! There may be another way to do it, but this way David and I don't double-book, and we are much more aware of each other's schedules and expectations!}


Happy Hour! That means $4 bellinis!

Happy Hour also means $4 beers!

Happy Hour ALSO means Happy Renee!

David's just along for the ride :)

Butternut Squash Ravioli Appetizer and mini-burgers to start!
{If you haven't had these raviolis at Cactus Club, they are a MUST!}

Finally we had the Calamari. I must admit we don't like the spider-y looking ones, so we left those. Kind of a shame, but we just couldn't do it!

Saturday was a day to do all the little things around the house I'd been meaning to do for what seems like forever. Some of these things have been on my to-do list since the day we moved in!

We finally hung my necklace hanger so that they're not all tangled on my nightstand or in my drawer anymore! 

I hung some things on the wall in our bedroom. Those framed cards are the actual cards David proposed to me with. If you look closely at the flower on the wall beside that frame it is actually my veil I wore at the wedding. The garter is hung on the cards. I love these personal little reminders/memories of our wedding.

I made cookies! Honestly. This is the best cookie recipe ever! I'll have to post it... This week sometime. 

I hung these little signs by my kitchen sink! One says, "Renee's Kitchen". The other says, "Kiss the cook, she's Dutch". Love them!

Look at this beautiful tree across the street!

The bees were in full-on pollination mode with this tree! You could hear the hum from many feet away!

A nice afternoon walk at Tynehead during the breaks in the rain!

We moved Sherlock's crate beside David's side of the bed, and moved David's night-stand to my side (you can see in necklace hanger picture). I think this looks pretty cute, and gives us much more space by the door in our bedroom since Sherlock's crate isn't taking up all the floor-space!

Oma emailed last week to ask if we'd like to join her and Aunty Sonya & Uncle Anthony for dinner at her house. Even though we intended on a quiet weekend in, we could not pass this up! I'm really glad we went. We got to visit with family we don't see all that often, eat a delicious dinner (that I didn't have to cook!), play the Crazy Dice Game, and Oma & Sonya shared some stories about the family that were new to me. I find it eye-opening to hear stories about family/family history. It gives a better perspective of where we all come from and what life was like "behind the scenes" or before we were around.  


I definitely meant to take a group photo of us since maybe not everyone likes to see pictures of peoples' food. I like when people post what they're eating! It gives me inspiration and makes me hungry. Although it is one of the top complaints about photos posted on Instagram & Facebook... Oh well!

Butternut Squash soup to start. YUM!

Spinach salad as the second course. So fresh!

M&M Lasagna for the main! I Loooooove lasagna! I forgot to take a photo of the dessert, but we had peaches that were canned by a lady in Langley, with some whipped cream and chocolate. So tasty!

This takes us to Sunday, where David and I taught Cornerstone (Sunday School) for the Grade 2 & 3 kids at church. As it is Spring Break, we only had 4 kids, which made the class much easier to manage. 


Getting set up and practicing for the first activity/game.

Ed's Drivers Ed! They had to answer our questions correctly to move to the next line. 

After church we headed to the Dublin Crossing Pub for lunch with some friends and then back home for some more R&R. We watched "The Imitation Game" in the evening on Netflix. Truly a fascinating movie that is based on a true story. I would highly recommend it!


90% on Rotten Tomatoes!

Meanwhile my parents are sending us updates and posting daily on Facebook about how amazing their time in Hawaii is! Maybe David and I will venture out that way in November. Depends how much money we can save by then. No more dinners out!! (Psssht... yea right!)


Seriously. Who wouldn't want to go here after seeing how happy they are?!

The view from their balcony. Unreal!

While it sounds like we were busy, this is about as "down-time" as we get! It felt good to get some tasks done that had been bothering me, and to get out for some walks, have a nice visit, eat tasty food, and veg out on the couch for a bit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment