Wednesday 3 February 2016

I've Hit the Marital Jackpot

Okay... I normally don't like to brag... but I feel like I've hit the marital jackpot marrying David. 

First of all, I had been having a rough week and just feeling drained and overwhelmed with everything that was going on. Last Thursday I got home from work and was gearing up to start tidying for having some people over. David took my hand and said, “How are you feeling today?” I replied, “Tired, but fine.” He took my hand and dragged me upstairs and opened the bathroom door. He had set up the most beautiful bubble bath for me. Complete with candles, chocolate, candies, juice in a wine glass (because I don't drink during the week typically), my favorite flowers, lavender scented bath foam and spa music. He told me to get in the bath and take an hour to relax while he cleans and goes grocery shopping. A+ for David!


Gerbera daisies floating in the tub? How cute is that. 
(Katrina see the basket beside the tub? Has magazines in it!)

And then Friday happened. David had a photo shoot for Cotala (a company he sub-contracts for) at 10:30. He called me after to tell me about it. He showed up for the shoot and there was no realtor there, just the home owner. She was a tiny 90 year old lady and was visibly upset when David walked in. David asked, “What’s wrong?” and she just told him she was feeling sad that the doctor told her she had to move into a retirement home because she couldn’t take care of herself and the house anymore. David had the sense this wasn’t all it was, but continued on with his shoot. He was almost done his shoot and could hear her sniffling a little bit on the couch. He stopped what he was doing and walked over to her and asked if everything was okay. 

It was then that she opened up saying how she was feeling sad to leave the home because she missed her husband. He passed away 8 years ago, 3 weeks after their 60th anniversary, and she was feeling like it happened yesterday.

David, being David, stood there and said, “Would it be completely inappropriate for me to give you hug?” She basically leaped out of her chair to hug him. They hugged for a minute and then David invited her to sit down and he pulled up a chair beside her and they talked for half an hour (almost making him late for his next shoot).

She told him all about her husband, how/when he passed away, her life, her great grandchildren (one of whom she said reminds her of David), and gave some marriage advice.

David called me after his shoot and told me he just had the most amazing time - that he had spent 30 minutes talking to this inspiring 90 year old woman. 

Seriously… who is this guy?! Many people won’t even do that with their own grandparents! David said he felt like he had to. He was being “pulled” to connect with this woman. I may have teared up as he told me about that day. 


David is a much better person than I am. How did I get so lucky?!


Days that he's driving me crazy I'll have to remind myself of these two stories and how I shouldn't take him for granted. 

3 comments:

  1. Ha, I love how that basket is the only nautical thing I see... baby steps!!
    Way to go David!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it is a work in progress! We haven't even hung anything in our bathroom yet :(
      It's looking rather bland! Maybe on Family Day we will get to decorating!

      I have an anchor painting I made for that bathroom as well.

      Delete
  2. This was beautiful. Good marriages are the most amazing thing.

    ReplyDelete