Monday 14 December 2015

Muse - Drones Tour

For my birthday, my brother Jeff snatched us tickets through his work to see Muse live at Rogers Arena on December 10. Even better, we got box seats! I had never been in a box... I don't think I can do it any other way now!

Typically I don't care much for rock concerts what with all the noise and people, but Muse is a show I will try my best never to miss. 

As an added bonus, the day before the concert Jeff informed me he was able to snag two MORE tickets. We invited David and Adam to come along with us for the show. Unfortunately Scott is still living in Edmonton, or I'm sure a fifth ticket would have weaseled its way in. 



Before the concert, David and I dropped Sherlock off with my mom, and headed down to Vancouver. The four of us went for dinner at Tap & Barrel and skipped the opening act's performance. It was a band called Pentagram. (I can never remember their name. At first I called them Pentatonix, and then Pentaphonix, and then Hooked on Phonix.) 

Jeff reserved free parking for us inside at Rogers Arena - perks of working for Impark eh?! We ran inside, grabbed a couple beers and headed up to the suite. Some of Jeff's coworkers joined us for the evening, but we got the front row of seats in the box, and had an incredible view of the stage. 



Muse had a 360 stage set up, which definitely maximizes the number of tickets they can sell
and the quality of view for every seat in the arena.

Our incredible view from the suite

Last time we went to see Muse (February 2014) for their Second Law tour, David and I got seats up in the nose-bleeds. It was still a very impressive show, but I figured the next time I went we'd spring for floor tickets to get the "full experience". 

While I still believe being on the floor would be a different experience, I do not feel the need to add that to the bucket list anymore. Why would I choose to be squashed between hundreds of sweaty, smelly fans, while barely being able to see the stage, band or effects! Why would that be preferred over sitting in a cushy seat, with no one sitting in front of me, with a perfect view of the stage, with beer when I want it, with the company around me that I enjoy, with space to play air guitar/drums, and with a bathroom less than 10 steps away? It really is the best way to enjoy a show. 

As for the show itself? UN-freaking-BELIEVABLE! I always knew Muse put on an amazing show, but they seem to take it to another level. The band consists of three main members (lead vocals/guitar, bass/back-up vocals, and drums). They also have another member who's more in the background, playing a variety of instruments. Their talent is truly jaw-dropping. Their music may not be for everyone (sort of alternative rock), but everyone can appreciate what talented musicians they are.



Madness

Xenophilius Lovegood (or perhaps a reformed Lucius Malfoy?) rocking out below us. I loved his enthusiasm. It was like he was at his own private concert.

Here is an actual photo of Xenophilius Lovegood from Harry Potter

They had really cool visual effects in the show, with projections, lights, and even dozens of flying spherical drones. I don't think the smile wiped off my face the whole time. 

Yup... Those are drones. 

The four of us missed having Scott there, so when his favourite song from the album (Handler) came on, I quickly decided to FaceTime him in! I didn't even say hi, I just pointed the camera to the stage and let him enjoy the show. I may have sneaked a few screen shots of his face during the song as well. Pure joy... or jealousy... hard to say! (Sorry Scott :P)

Realizing what song it is

As the song is ending. I hope he appreciated this FaceTime! I missed most of the song trying to make sure he could see!

This made it all worth it

It's hard to express how a concert can be so cool and well done, so here are a couple snippet videos I took on my phone during the show. 


Psycho - I only got the beginning of this song because I really didn't want to miss it! You can see all the drones lined up in the middle though. So cool!


Supermassive Black Hole - This one I also only got the beginning, but such a crazy song and the drones were all just coasting around the arena! Ahh... I want to go see them again!


I so wish I could have uploaded/filmed longer videos. I wish I had the whole concert on video. It's so hard to grasp the intensity and expanse of the effects used. 

After the concert we hung out in the suite for a few more minutes to debrief before heading back to the car and home for the night. Ears ringing all the while!

Thank you gents for the amazing evening! We should make this a Muse tradition! 



No comments:

Post a Comment