Tuesday 13 October 2015

Thanksgiving Weekend

My Thanksgiving weekend had an early start, as I came down with a chest cold and was off sick from work on Friday. What wonderful timing. I haven't had a cold in almost 2 years! My last one was on our first anniversary when we went to LA!

Friday
I spent the day relaxing to try and beat the cold before all the events of the weekend. My plan didn't work. By Friday evening it came on pretty hard, and the cough kept getting worse. 
We went out to Edith & Arthur's for dinner with my parents and Scott, and then David had planned a Poker night on Friday with some friends. There were 7 players all together, and Ross ended up taking home the pot of $180! I didn't play as I wanted to be able to escape to bed if I needed to. 


Right when we walked into E&A they rang the bell. That means everyone gets a free round of whatever they were drinking. We were bummed to miss it by so little, but our fantastic waitress decided that since we were in the door when the bell rang, she'd give us a free drink after we ordered. Two large happy hour beers makes for happy people!

One of the strata council members in our complex, Brent, was talking to David on Friday, and David mentioned the poker night we were having. Brent then offered to let us borrow his poker table, so we had an official set up!

Ross is looking very smug as he counts his chips. He claims he's a poker rookie. I'm not sure if he's lying or just had amazing beginners' luck. 


Saturday
Jeff, Adam and Scott slept over on Friday night. Saturday morning, I went to band practice and David went to film a video, while Adam drove back to Vancouver for a meeting. This left Jeff and Scott to start up the turkey and stuffing as we were hosting Thanksgiving dinner at our house Saturday evening! All together we had 9 people! David, myself, Mom, Dad, Jeff, Adam, Aly, Scott and Oma! Good thing we have a big table.


Big Bird!

Scott and Dad scooping out the stuffing


Oma's Stoofpeertjes!

Sherlock and Shadow watching and waiting patiently while Scott carves the turkey.


Wouldn't luck have it though, that our stairs are a death trap. David fell down the stairs and smashed his big toe on one foot. It didn't stop bleeding for two days (TMI, sorry). It's really gross, and rendered him useless for the rest of the weekend. Not ideal for me being sick and biting off more than I could chew already!

We had a luxurious meal of turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, bacon mashed yams, stoofpeertjes (Dutch for stove pears), beans, brussel sprouts, and cranberry sauce. It was paired with the Grand Reserve Sage wine from Silver Sage. If you haven't tried that, it is DEFINITELY worth a try. Especially with turkey! 


Getting set!


Comfort food at its finest

CHEERS!

Could life possibly get any better?

My taste buds say thank you. So do Adam's apparently. 

The Sage Grand Reserve wine. Perfect compliment to a turkey dinner

HOLY LEFTOVERS BATMAN!


Sunday
Sunday morning I was up to play bass in church.
After church, we headed over to David's parents' house for a Thanksgiving inspired lunch. Turkey burgers with cranberry sauce and a cream cheese spread. Delicious!

The remainder of Sunday was spent curled up on the couch drinking tea, napping intermittently, and watching a Border Security marathon.


Channel 48. All day every day.


Monday
Monday morning I dragged myself out of bed and took Sherlock for a WET walk at Tynehead. He had been shafted the two previous days, so it had to be done. Rain or shine, sickness or health. During the day on Monday, Scott came over and we hung out and ran some errands. In the evening we went over to Rachel & Kyle's for Rachel's birthday celebration and another delicous Thanksgiving dinner! So much food this weekend!


Fall is so beautiful. I don't even mind the rain sometimes.

Mom, why aren't you sharing your umbrella?

I always forget to take pictures of things. Keeping a blog up to date requires me to be much more intentional with the photos I take. Clearly this was a bit of an after-thought. I forgot to document the delicious food and the rest of the company!

No comments:

Post a Comment