Monday 29 March 2021

Weekend - Baby Spam! (Not mine!)

I am soooo excited to write this post! Two of my siblings officially joined this parenting thing in the last week. Hard to believe!

Please welcome...

Myles Jeffrey Gerber
Born March 20, 2021 @ 6:36 am (7 days overdue) 
8 lbs 11 oz

This looks a lot like Adam as a baby - same skeptical face.

AND

Phoebe Renee Gerber
Born March 24, 2021 @ 4:36am (8 days overdue)
9 lbs 2 oz


Just putting up these pictures made me tear up again. It's been such a joy-filled, overwhelming week in our family, and these two babies being born now officially means I'm next! Also, how adorable are these babies, and how perfect are their names?! Pressure is on for Dave and I to also get it right! 

Side note, you never know what sorts of nicknames will come up for your baby! Emilia couldn't say Phoebe the first couple days, and kept calling her Joebe. Then her and Dom put together "Phoebe Jeebies" and I love it so much haha. What an apt nickname for the rollercoaster this newborn is going to bring to Scott & Ashleigh's life! <3

I have been able to meet little Miss Phoebe a couple times already this week, and met Myles over this weekend. I haven't been able to visit with Phoebe while she's awake just yet, but those sleepy newborn snuggles are also the best! I am in a good place for newbie snuggles too because my belly is a built-in support pillow and I can hold them forever without getting a sore arm! Haha. The one pro to this giant belly!

First visit! I got there and Mel was snuggling Phoebe in their living room so Scott and Ashleigh could get some rest. She graciously offered to share the bundle, and it was fun to hear about the birth story from her perspective as well. If you know me, you know I LOOOOOOOOOVE to hear birth stories!


Dave and I came to visit with just the two of us on Saturday morning, and as has been discussed for years, the first time Dave met one of Scott's babies, there would be a ceremonial whiskey toast. Dave brought over his special Maple Whiskey and the boys committed!


I made Dave hold my belly to acknowledge that the cousins are meeting each other <3

"Is someone cutting onions in here?!" Dave got a little emotional meeting/holding her for the first time. I mean it's not all that abnormal, but it surprised me! I think the reality of the fact that our best friends are entering this phase of life, the beauty of this precious little girl, and me being due in less than 3 weeks all compiled at once. 
*I was going to crop my crazy face out of this photo, but I'm just going to embrace the fact that my genuine happiness might just look crazy haha*

Phoebe is quite often a serious little baby, but after I put her down in the swing to leave they sent this picture and she finally looked quite content! I take credit! Haha

Today while I was at work Phoebe and Benny called Dom & Emilia to have a little chat. D&E first saw Phoebe in real life yesterday when Scott and Ash swung by to pick up a loaf of bread. Just through the car window, but oh my goodness Dom's face when he saw her. The definition of the heart-eyes emoji. He couldn't stop smiling, and just loved her so much immediately. He then initiated the sweetest congratulatory hug with Uncle Scott and Aunty Ashleigh. It was a randomly emotionally mature moment for a 4-year old. Emilia was a little less thrilled to meet and acknowledge Phoebe. I think it's been a lot for her to process - she'll get there!

I spent much of the last week baking, both prepping my own freezer supply of snacks and bread, but also to bring/send to the new parents. Totally drained my own tank, but no regrets! I made 2 dozen bran muffins, a dozen cinnamon buns, 6 loaves of sourdough... a dozen banana muffins, and I still plan to make a bunch of pesto pizzas and some chocolate zucchini loaves (maybe I'll just keep those though :)). 

I have also been receiving some questions from the new parents, and I have been absolutely tickled to be able to share my experience, answer some questions, and offer support. I've been through this before, and have very vivid memories of these first few weeks, and what was helpful to me. I try not to give advice unless it's specifically asked for because nobody likes unsolicited advice, and what worked for me/my babies may not work for them and theirs. I can only speak based on my own experience, but I'm really touched that I'm considered a resource worth reaching out to! It's been 4 years of being the only ones with kids on this side of the family, and I'm so excited to feel a bit more "understood" by my siblings! (If that makes sense... you don't really get what comes with being a parent until you are one)

Anywho, maybe it was all the goodies I sent Adam & Aly, or sharing my experiences/struggles/plans with breastfeeding, etc., but I got the text on Saturday morning asking if I'd like to go out with my Dad and meet baby Myles. Drop everything! I'll be there! Dad and I drove out together (which was nice on its own because we rarely spend time with just the two of us), and hung out for over an hour with Adam, Aly and Myles. I anticipated I wouldn't be able to meet Myles until my own baby came, or at LEAST another week, so this was a great surprise. 

Myles also developed a nickname in utero. Adam is working on a structural engineering project on the island for this great big accessible tower walk with treetop walkways. It's quite amazing! Every so often he'd send us updates with pictures of the project's process. One day (right around their due date), he sent us all a message. What I saw on my phone, was that Adam sent a photo with the words, "Crane is out!" I 100% thought they had their baby and had named it Crane, but really it was just a picture of the project and Adam's excitement about the crane. Haha! Myles was called Baby Crane until he was born. 
I then sent a joke message nobody responded to calling him Myles Crane. It was likely poor timing, but I felt the joke had to be made at some point by someone at least the one time! Haha. *I know it's Niles Crane, but couldn't pass up the opportunity*. 

Myles was awake almost the entire time we were there, but hardly made a peep! I could hardly believe it! Even when he was fussy, he calmed quickly. 


I have to brag for a moment, as I may go down in family history as the poop whisperer after one moment at our visit. Adam messaged earlier in the week and casually mentioned he had changed 3 diapers in 20 minutes, so I messaged him privately to tell him about the "pooping position" I used to use for my kids to get that second blast out to hopefully avoid these situations. While we were visiting, Myles was happy as can be, and Adam asked me to show him my special positions I was talking about. First I showed them what helps a gassy/fussy baby sometimes, by laying Myles on my lap and bicycling his legs, and all that stuff. Then I picked him up, brought my legs up, and put him in the super squat pooping position I always did. I said, "This is the magic pooping position, and he's already making a face..." and literally within 5 seconds he unloaded and filled his diaper to the top with a noisy, wet poop. Oh my gosh!!! I told you it was magic!!! Hahaha nobody even knew Myles had to poop, and here this magic pooping position causes a full unleashing within 5 seconds! Oh man we laughed til we had tears in our eyes. Sooo hilarious. 

Later on Myles was fussing a little, but I wanted one more snuggle before we left, so I picked him up and just did the newborn soothing thing. Walked around, shushed, bounced, swayed, etc. He calmed pretty quickly which may have been a coincidence, but it re-instilled some confidence that I haven't completely lost my baby parenting abilities! 


Opa & his second grandson <3

This wasn't from our visit, but I love seeing my gifts be put to use! Adam has a thing about textures, so I crocheted them a blanket that wouldn't be "creebly", and it looks like he and Myles like it! I made a matching one for Phoebe and my baby-to be (same pattern, different colours) too!

Aly's mom and sister made some beautiful sugar cookies and packaged them up all cute. This is the only time I've ever gone to meet a newborn baby and received a little goodie bag! I guess it's sort of like a sip & see, COVID-style haha.

I want to squeeze in as much time with these little families as I can before my baby comes! Which is most likely any time in the next two weeks! (Please don't be longer than two weeks... Aly and Ashleigh have reminded me that a due date is just a guess, but if my history proves true I shouldn't go overdue! Fingers crossed!)

Here are some more random out of order pics from the weekend (and a few from last week as well)

Gramma came by last week for a long overdue coffee and read to the kids. She'd been on spring break for 12 days, so we were comfortable meeting up briefly. Hopefully things settle down and we can see each other lots this spring with new baby! 

After tasting these, Scott & Ash have ordered a tray and said they would pay handsomely haha. I just have to find time to make them, but made me wonder what people would pay for a tray of fresh homemade cinnamon buns... 

Muchos baby spam over the weekend! Myles

Real new-Dad life <3

The room share with Dom & Emilia could not be going more perfectly! What a blessing these good sleepers are <3

Another new dad real life shot! Scott & his daughter Phoebe

I caught this freakishly sweet moment. We were in the kitchen and I saw Emilia doing something sneaky behind the table. I crept over, and found she had brought a pillow and her blankets to make a bed for her tiny bear. She tucked in the bear, and was sitting beside it, EVERY SO QUIETLY singing our bedtime "May the Lord" song. Processing her emotions/new things through play! <3

While we were both out meeting Phoebe Saturday morning my mom came to play with the kids and we came home to Emilia with her hair styled I am the worst with her hair, so it was an adorable surprise!
"Mommy, me look like Princess Leia!" (of course while wearing her Lego Star Wars t-shirt)


Emilia helped me fold all my kitchen cloths and towels yesterday. She actually did a great job, and I will definitely be using her services in the future!

I gave Dom a haircut last week and accidentally put the 4 instead of the 6 on before doing the top and now he has a buzz cut. It triggers me haha! Brings something up from my childhood when I was surrounded by kids with buzz cuts! I see him and just want to sing, "Will the real Slim Shady please stand up!" Haha He doesn't seem to mind it, and I know it will grow back, and at least it'll be a while before he needs another haircut haha!

Mom & Dad sent this pic from their Phoebe visit where her eyes are actually open! She looks more like her Daddy when her eyes are open :)


Benny and Phoebe - no doubt in my mind that he will be an amazing big fur-brother

These babes are changing so fast already! 

I am feeling more excited and less (but still a little) anxious for us to welcome our new little one. I was reminded this week how profound it is to meet your baby you've been carrying/growing for the last 9 months, but also reminded how much easier it is to care for a baby when it's still in your belly haha. Everything pretty much takes care of itself as long as you manage to take care of yourself. 

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the new family arrivals! Myles is my favourite name ever (hence my son Myles) and Phoebe is beautiful too. So many Gerber babies!
    Lynn Webb (Groot)

    ReplyDelete