Wednesday 12 December 2018

27th Birthday Weekend

My 25th birthday I was super huge and pregnant with Dominic. My 26th birthday I was about 19 weeks pregnant with Emilia. This year I am not pregnant and could celebrate accordingly!

On Saturday evening my parents took David and I out to Tap Restaurant in South Surrey. It's a fine dining experience, and it lived up to my expectations! The food was mouth-watering. It was hard for me to not look at the prices of things as I went to order, but my parents assured me that was the point. Spoil myself and get whatever. I. wanted. 
Mom & Dad brought two bottles of wine (I can't remember exactly what they were... a Mission Hill Pinot Noir and a Black Hills Shiraz?) and we almost went through both of them throughout the dinner. Dad and I also started out each having an Old Fashioned. With dessert I had a 2oz pour of the Taylor Fladgate 10 yr Tawny port. 
Before we ordered our food, I was looking at the wine menu and noticed the wines were ordered "lightest to heaviest". With my mediocre knowledge of wine, I wondered aloud why a Pinot Noir was the second heaviest wine on the red list, when typically they'd be closer to the top of the list. I asked the waitress and instead of trying to explain she just brought us two tasters for the table so we could see for ourselves! Now that's service!
For appetizers we got the Gnocchi, Lobster Bisque and French Onion Soup. 
For mains, Mom & I got the Sablefish, Dad got the Rack of Lamb, and Dave got the Filet Mignon. I got a bite of each and MAN were they all good! I very rarely get to eat fish, so I went with the Sablefish in a mushroom sauce. It was so buttery and tender. Drooling again just thinking about it. 
For dessert Dave & Dad both got the lava cake while Mom & I shared the chocolate mousse cake. The waitress also brought us 4 pieces of another chocolate dessert, I can't recall anymore exactly what it was, just that it may have been all of our favorites. I remember a salted caramel sauce... YUM!



Sluuuuurp. Sablefish

My drinks... I wish we had gotten a picture of the 4 of us, but I wasn't sure if that was acceptable at a nice restaurant. (I'm too awkward and clutzy for these fancy things haha).

On Sunday, Dom & I went to church while Dave stayed home with sleeping Emilia. That afternoon we were off to Scott & Ashleigh's engagement party! Dave went earlier and I brought the kids after nap time. It was crazy busy there! So many people came to celebrate with them. Dom's friends Carter, Devin & Eli were there and he was super excited to see them. They were all having fun on the couch, until Dom took one too many steps backwards and fell off the side of the couch and landed flat on his back/head. I didn't actually see it happen, but I looked the moment I heard the crash. My first instinct was to down the rest of my glass of wine before slamming it down on the table and rushing to get Dom (now if that's not motherly instinct I don't know what is... *rolls eyes due to embarrassment*). At the time we weren't sure if he hit his head or landed on his back first, but it was a scary 20 minutes. He was completely inconsolable and spaced out for probably 10-15 minutes. This is not like him at all. He's had a few good falls and head bonks, but will at least stop crying within a couple minutes typically. I knew what to look for with a head injury and he wasn't exhibiting any of those signs really, but the inconsolable crying, gasping/shaking and staring into space was kind of concerning. We finally got him to stop crying and back to breathing normally and brought him inside. I had him and Emilia on my lap and that was the first smile we got out of him as he snuggled into her chest (warms my heart). And then Opa had the insight to bring out a guitar and play a bit, so Dom was off my lap and running over to the guitar within seconds. Whew! A sign of normalcy! by the end of the evening he was totally back to normal. I think he landed flat on his back and got the wind knocked out of him. I'd cry. That's a scary feeling, especially when you don't know what's going on and it's in front of dozens of people! So grateful he's okay! 
I didn't get to take an pictures at the party, so the first two are courtesy of Ashleigh's mom, and the last one is from David's Dad.


Not sure if the cold beer bottle felt good on her gums or if she just likes the taste of beer remnants.

Tuesday was my actual birthday. I woke up in the morning and mused that I'd like to spend all day in my PJ's. David then asked if he could give me my present. He got me a giant sloth onesie! Complete with a hood, claw mitts and a tail. So cozy and hilarious. 



I can't believe she's strong enough to stand her independently. 

They get their cheesy smiles from me

David was booked to take Santa photos at my dad's work in the morning, and I rushed the kids out there JUST in the nick of time to squeeze in a picture with Santa. My expectations were zero. My kids are quite reserved and don't like other people. Dom lived up to my expectations, Emilia far exceeded them! She even sat on Santa's lap all by herself. 



This is exactly what I expected. So perfect. 

Sure, she won't let her own grandparents hold her, but she'll sit with some random creepy bearded man in a suit.

Back home in time for naps and then my parents and then a knock on the door and a basket of goodies from Janine shows up! My parents and Scott came and made us a cannelloni dinner to share! I had invited whoever could make it to our house for dessert that evening, a tradition I've adopted from David's family. A number of people couldn't make it at the last minute so it was a quiet evening. More cake for me! i appreciated the lovely gifts and presence (see what I did there). 



Rebecca was up the latest, so she got lots of pictures!

This girl is 9 weeks younger than Emilia, but is probably 4lb heavier. Love the rolls; it reminds me of Dom when he was a baby.

Her eyelashes are soooo ridiculous!


"Hi Baba!"

Love this smile :D

She's so funny. She loves to have soft things on her face, so peek-a-boo with a soft blanket is a double bonus for her!

December birthdays are hard, but I don't know any better and I've never felt too over-shadowed by Christmas. I do feel sorry for Dom though. His birthday is right in the thick of Christmas celebrations. No one will ever be able to make it to his parties! We'll have to find a way to make it feel special and separate when he's old enough to understand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment