Monday 29 August 2016

21 WEEKS (CARROT): Aug 21-27


  • This week the measurements for baby switch from crown-rump to crown-feet. I'm not sure why they change now (maybe because baby is proportionate?), but they do! Baby is 10.5 inches long from top of his head to bottom of his feet. That makes him the length of a large carrot! HE weighs about 11-12.5 oz, which is about the weight of a can of Coke!
  • Baby boy still gets most of his nourishment from the placenta, but he has started ingesting and digesting amniotic fluid too. They say he can now officially taste what I have recently eaten in the amniotic fluid. If I want him to be more likely to eat certain things, eat them from now until he is born! Bring on the spicy food, broccoli, dropjies, and peanut butter!
  • The placenta is along the front wall of my abdomen, which masks some of the movement from being felt. I think I'm okay with this... I haven't been woken up yet by baby kicking and pushing around in there. Maybe the pillowey placenta blocks that all! (No matter how much I talk about the placenta, the thought/sound of it still grosses me out... trying to get over it and appreciate the biological phenomenon it is! Haha)
  • Baby is becoming more coordinated! As his cartilage turns into bones, and as his nervous system develops, he is able to coordinate his movements and we got to see this on the ultrasound as he yawned and stretched in a rather controlled manner (compared to some of the jerky movements I've seen in video renderings of babies in other weeks)!
  • I have been feeling more bloated and gassy again lately... good times!
  • I also get backaches from time to time. Typically if I am in one position for too long, or if I'm laying on my back for an extended period. I wake up on my back in some pain, or in my ultrasound last week it started to get sore around my lower back (maybe all the pushing with the ultrasound wand thing didn't help?).
  • My gums are a little bit sensitive, but this has just caused me to improve my oral care. (aka... flossing!). The dentist would be so proud.
  • Nails are still growing rapidly, but aren't quite as strong as they were in previous weeks/months. I wonder if baby is stealing more of my calcium as his bones develop!
  • My appetite is returning! I guess I'm supposed to be gaining weight and eating a little more (good) calories now, and my body is responding to allow this!
  • They say if you're having a girl, she steals your beauty (although I can't say this is true for many people I know who are having girls, or who have recently had baby girls), and having a boy is much easier on your body. So far this little boy has been good to me! I've had it very easy, and I am grateful for that.  
  • My Aunty Sonya pointed out in one of our gender announcement pictures that, "I can see the veins in your arms and hands are visible now due to your increased blood volume!" Haha she pretty much hit the nail on the head there! I'm also more prone to varicose veins right now, but so far I've avoided that. 
  • Baby definitely has active and inactive days. Sometimes I have to really try to get him to move around, while other days (like Thursday and Friday) he is just a-jumpin' and a-dancin' away in there all day it seems like! It's fun because while it's happening it just feels like my little secret (unless David is there. Then he is in on the secret too). 
  • Heartburn made its first appearance near the end of 21 weeks... I'd never really experienced heartburn before, but knew it right away. I find it tends to happen when I eat too much, and/or too fast. I will try to eat smaller, more frequent meals hereon in. I haven't had it too bad, but I imagine it is only going to get worse!
Not much else to report this week! Weeks are pretty uneventful at this point I think :)

No comments:

Post a Comment