Monday 30 May 2022

Half-Birthday Celebration: SAVIO VOLPE TAKE TWO!

 My parents decided this year to take each of us kids out for our half birthday instead of doing a birthday dinner for us. They figured around our birthday is always so crazy busy with lots of celebrations, and it's nice to space it out a bit throughout the year! This works excellent for me since my birthday is in December so it's always sooo busy with gatherings.

On my 30th birthday, we tried to go to Savio Volpe with the family, but then the kitchen/chimney caught on fire before we could even get our waters we ordered. This weekend Mom & Dad took Dave and I back to Savio Volpe for take two!

Oh my goodness. So So So delicious. I love food, I love wine, and I love not having to make decisions. We ordered the chef's menu, so basically they ask about allergies/preferences, etc. and then bring you whatever the chef decides to whip up. The food came out constantly and the service was on point. I'll try to remember what each course was, but some of it wasn't on the menu so I'll probably butcher it. I'm calling them each courses because they basically came out on their own for the most part. Really it was more like 5 courses total. Appetizer, Salad, Pasta, Entree (meat), Dessert

Extra aware of the fire safety hookups this time around haha!

I swear every time I took a sip the waiter topped me back up. Now THAT is wine service! :)

After dinner, enjoying our Amaretto

What we ate and drank: 

White Wine: Ciu Ciu Oris Falerio Marche, Pecorino, Passerina, Trebbiano '20 (10/10 delicious. Haven't figured out where we can buy it yet, but I definitely would!)

Red Wine: Fattoria Rodano Chianti Classico Tuscany, Sangiovese '18 (I was considering buying a bottle of this for myself until I realized it's $36 at Everything Wine. Whew! Not in my budget!)

Course #1: Burrata, agrodolce rhubarb, pickled spruce tips, intosso olive oil, carte di musica crackers. 

Course #2: Garlic Knots, pecorino romano, pepe nero (SO much butter. Did not get a picture of these as they were gone before we knew it)

Course #3: Glorious spring greens, elderflower, marcona almonds, piave (Also forgot to get a picture of this, but it was beautiful and delicious)

Course #4: Farro, burnt citrus, smoked ricotta, spinach, hazelnuts

Course #5: Halibut croquettes with dill (can you tell this wasn't on the menu? Haha pathetic description) 


Course #6: Some sort of Ravioli with a sauce that was to die for. They had multi-coloured celery which was sweet!

Oops. Almost forgot photo!

Course #7: Linguini with buttery chili and prawns. 

Good thing Mom got one of the Linguini!

Course #8: Rocana pork chop, swiss chard, currants, pickled morels, sage (I have never had pork this good in my life. We were literally licking the plate)

Served with: Rainbow carrots, rosemary, marcona almonds, honey

Sorry pork, you didn't get a photo to do you justice!

Also served with: Sieglinde potatoes, spiced proscuitto vinaigrette, castelvetrano olives. (I think this is what it was... definitely had proscuitto. Though I don't recall olives. Maybe they were sneaky about them!)

Course #9: Rainbow trout. This was out of my comfort zone, but that was sort of the point of giving the chef control. It was very tender and a nice light finish to the heavier parts of the meal. 

Dessert #1: Tiramisu cake

Dessert #2: White chocolate cake with flowers? Definitely wasn't my favourite. Tasted very flowery. Dad loved it as it brought him back to his childhood eating Thrillz(?) Some sort of soap-flavoured gum. 

Digestivo: No. 82 Amaretto (Mom & Dad then bought 4 bottles of it on the way home haha. It was so yummy!)

Dinner was incredible, and it was soooo nice to hang out and chat with Mom & Dad without all the interruptions and rush there usually is with a dinner visit with kids and having to get home for bedtime, etc. etc. We'll have to try to do that a bit more often. 

THANK YOU THANK YOU!! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment