Thursday 5 May 2022

Thankful Thursday - 292 (Trying to slow down... It's futile!)

This week there has definitely been a personal focus on slowing down a bit. I hit a wall near the end of last week and realized I needed to take a breather. A few hours spent in bed staring at the wall in complete silence followed by an afternoon/evening to myself binge-watching a TV show (Heartstopper on Netflix - Recommend!) and eating Cactus Club Poke sure helped!

I wrote this post throughout the week. I love that I talked about slowing down and then definitely did not do that... Oh well!

This week I am thankful for...

1. Some JARS time. On Saturday my brothers and I spontaneously decided to go down to Vancouver to visit Adam and Aly at their False Creek condo. I got the short end of the stick and lost a game of Sleepyhead so I was DD, but it was still super fun and nice to catch up and chat with the boys! It was a late night (of course), but at least I didn't have a headache the next day! :)

I mentioned last week in my blog that I had injured my arm or pinched a nerve or something from consoling Eva in the car on the way home from Agassiz. Alas... My thumb is STILL a little bit numb on one half of it. It feels more like it's waking up after being asleep. Like when you get freezing at the dentist and it's half unfrozen... Does that make sense? Aly is a Neurologist so before we left she did an exam on me. I was performing well until she tested my reflexes with the little hammer. My right arm reacted as expected, but my left arm did nothing. So while I have feeling and strength in my arm again, apparently the nerve is still damaged. She confirmed it is likely a brachial plexus stretch injury. So... don't do that again basically haha. 



I mean come on! This view! <3

They brought out the hard stuff after we had some wine. I didn't indulge since I was driving, but that is much easier to say no to anyway haha. 

Didn't get to open this one, but we tried to lure Mom & Dad over after a show at the QE.

2. Miss Em turns 4 soon! We are having family over for a birthday party this Saturday, and she turns 4 on Monday! On one hand I can't believe it. On the other hand, I've sort of thought she was 4 for a long time haha. She's such a sweet little thing. 



Opening an early birthday gift from Aunty Sonya

Got this gorgeous dress! She is very excited about it, and wishes to keep it clean so she can wear it at her birthday party and on her birthday haha.

Pretty sure she's the cutest goalie I've ever seen.

Posted by the preschool teacher! They went out to the big field and were the wind to "spread the seeds" of the dandelions! <3

3. Casual family time at home.


Having fun, but also moderately concerned at the big push I gave her haha



Trying to say "Ooooooma"

4. Church. I was playing bass this week at the 11:00 service. I thought Sid's sermon was really excellent, and as a bonus we got a fish cracker with our Communion! 

I didn't get a great picture, but I got some puppy therapy after church too when I ran into Dave Loewen and his 4 month old puppy outside. Gosh she's adorable!

5. Passing time with others. On Sunday after church I reached out to see if anyone wanted to meet up for a walk imminently. We ended up driving to Jeff & Marta's, and went for a walk with them to a park nearby. 

Eva and Owen buddying up in the swing haha!




We were also invited to J&K's for homemade calzones on Sunday! I think Dom ate more than I did. Winner winner calzone dinner I'd say.


Wren and Eva sorting out this whole sharing thing


And more spontaneous things... Jeff came over for some Rockband on Monday evening. I told them this picture was just so I could remember what we did, but it also shows my drum score being very good (on hard) compared to their guitar and bass scores being very poor (on expert). So I figure maybe that's worth remembering forever haha.


We had dinner at Scott & Ashleigh's on Tuesday. I think this is the first time all 5 of us went over there. For dinner for sure! The kids played great, and Eva shoveled the tortellini into her mouth as if she thought she'd never get to eat again. That girl loves her carbs. 


Dom threw up just before midnight that night. I credit the garlic bread and big bowl of ice cream he ate for dinner... Gross.



6. D&E are making friends! The last two times we went to the park by our place, Dom & Emilia (mostly Dom) have made new friends their age. The first time a little girl (3.5) came and just started playing with them on a spinny thing and before long they were chatting and playing together. The latest time Dom initiated conversation with a little boy, "Hi... My name is Dominic." Like who is this kid?! I honestly wondered if this day would ever come. He has always been such a shy, quiet kid. He's a pro now at making new friends apparently!


"Mommy, can we go scooter and bike around the park with our new friend?"

We used to have to leave the park with Dom in tears if another child came and/or talked to him haha. We've come a long way!

7. Spin. I never thought I'd be this person. i used to roll my eyes at this person. I went to spin at 545am two days in a row this week! It feels so good. I just hate that it's expensive... 

Up at 5 after a very short sleep due to Dom's puke situation just before midnight. Off to spin and sweat my butt off for 50 minutes. Shower at the place and head off to work for 5 hours! I definitely needed a nap that day...

No comments:

Post a Comment