Monday 12 April 2021

Lately - The Waiting Game

No baby yet! I know that's really what people want to know haha. I see right through your text messages ;)

The last week has not been filled with a lot of activity. I really expected to have a baby by now, so I didn't have anything planned. Meal planning had dropped off, no outings planned at all. Just lots of sitting around and waiting. It's important for me to stay distracted right now though, so I try to be "spontaneous" and we've gotten out for walks more often this week. I have taken each of the kids individually down to see the horses, and then we did a family walk one sunny evening again to see the horses. The horses have never been out, but they still enjoy it haha. Also, when did we hit this point of being able to do a walk of any length with very little complaining from the kids?! This gives me optimism for park trips this spring/summer!

I was doing some nursery organization and Emilia pulled out the Bumbo, some books, and made herself comfortable with her feet up.

We had to bring Dave's car to the shop Thursday morning at 8, so we drove around for a bit and got some donuts to kill time before preschool. 

The last two Thursdays have been hard for Dom at preschool drop off. For some reason he's having a really hard time being left there without Emilia all of a sudden. I have a few guesses. Mostly I think he knows there are changes coming soon, but nobody knows when, and they involve Mom & Dad leaving and them being cared for by Opa & Oma, but he's probably nervous something will happen/change while he's at school and he won't know about it. He's totally fine if Emilia is there, and is fine within 10-20 minutes after we leave, but it absolutely breaks my heart to see him so upset and have to just drive away. I cried for much of the morning last Thursday just feeling guilt haha. I know he got over it much quicker than I did, but still! 

Our fur baby with the Grinch feet <3

Star Wars Operation! It's much less scary than the old Operation I remember. Instead of buzzing loudly, it makes R2D2 noises and squeals. 

Most evenings this week spent on the couch. Me giving up on having a baby that day, and just relaxing and waiting for "tomorrow". We have been watching lots of TV. Going through the Star Wars Rebels series, and I've started watching Love it or List it Vancouver which is nice background noise TV to have on. Oh also Marvel's new TV show Falcon & Winter Soldier! We watched Wanda Vision and it was pretty good, but I was a little confused the whole time. The Falcon & Winter Soldier show is excellent though. Dave gets the movie vibe, and I get the TV show length. Perfect compromise!

Picked up a couple spray bottles the other day at Canadian Tire. The kids were driving me nuts, so I suggested they go outside on the deck. They played nicely outside for probably 45 minutes just spraying and wiping down the window. Perfection. I love spring time! I've put our picnic blanket out there now for the week since it's supposed to be dry, so in the warmer afternoons they'll bring toys or books and just go sit out there and they can get some fresh air, have their own space, heckle the neighbour kids as they fall on their rollerblades (yes, that actually happened...), and I can cook, clean or rest inside without guilt!

I will definitely have to put together a collage one day, but I find Emilia's dolls tucked in all over the house in different places. She has one in a baby bouncer downstairs right now, and it's all tucked in with a blanket, and no matter how many times I remove it, she always puts back a "pillow" for the baby in the bouncer. The "pillow" is actually a random book. Every time.

We went to Mom & Dad's yesterday for a visit, and Scott, Ash & Phoebe were there. Dom actually ASKED to hold the baby. I couldn't believe it. He has never held a baby or showed any interest in his life. Emilia too, has been very wary up until now. Well Dom just owned this big cousin role. I thought he was feeling nervous, but he got Phoebe comfortable, and was so happy to sit there and watch golf and just cuddle her. He was holding her hand, being so careful with her head, and was so proud of himself. Nobody is as taken aback by this as I am (well maybe Dave), because he's just growing up so fast! He used to be so scared of anything new, and now he's asking to hold babies and showing his sweet side outwardly and ugh. Be still my heart!

You can see him cradling her head here

And then he moved to holding her hand <3 What 4 year old boy actually likes to hold babies? I fully expected to put her on his lap and him to be like, "Okay all done!" And try shove her off haha. 

Emilia was also happy to take a turn which surprised me completely! She was a little closer to the "Okay, all done" reaction I expected from Dom, but the fact that she was interested and brave enough to try gave me hope for the next few months of my life! They're starting to understand what's coming!

Emilia's going to be outgrown by her cousins in no time haha!

What else... Oh I've been drinking lots of raspberry leaf tea, so now every morning at 9am we have tea time. I make the kids some decaf tea or orange juice or something, and we sit down together and have tea and a cookie. Hopefully I can keep up some sort of tea time routine after baby too, because the kids look forward to it and then know when they can expect their next snack. Routine is so important over here! 
7am they an call us to get up and have breakfast
8am is the earliest they're allowed to have music turned on
9am is snack time
11am is lunch time
12pm-230pm is quiet time
230pm is snack time
5pm is dinner time
7pm is bedtime

Dom knows how to read an analog clock, so that's helpful too (except when we want to try sneak them into bed earlier haha). 

I don't know what I did to deserve this, but they've been playing happily and nicely for over two hours by themselves. I got work done, I typed up this blog, had tea time with them, caught up on some other little things... This is unheard of. Keep it up my children!!

I'm uncomfortable and impatient, but I also feel less in a rush to have this baby than I did with the other two, even though I'm right to my due date and everyone has been telling me for 4 weeks to slow down because it could be any day. You'd think I'd know by now that's bollocks! 
I have booked an acupuncture appointment for tomorrow and a sweep for Thursday. Maybe I won't need either, but at least I know there are interventions coming to help me meet my baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment