Monday 23 November 2020

"Oh Christmas Tree"

So last year was November 27 or 28 when we got a Christmas tree from "Oh Christmas Tree Farm", and that was by far the earliest we'd ever gotten a tree and decorated for Christmas. This year we made it to November 21 haha... It was sort of a spur of the moment thing, but we went "with" (at the same time as) my parents and Scott & Ashleigh to get trees Saturday afternoon. It still pains me to spend this much money on a tree every year, but I like the non-uniformity of it, and the process of finding the right one. 

Gone are the days of a nice smile from Dominic haha!

The tree farm was really busy, but I'd say 75-80% of people were wearing masks, even outdoors. We wore ours until we were all on our own out in the trees. (I had also brought a homemade mocha... sometimes I forget that I can't eat and drink when I'm wearing a mask). 

Me and my little mama's girl. She's clung to me more now with this pandemic and lockdown.




Me doing the classic, "Look like you like each other!"

I had to mark our tree with my scarf because I kept losing it.


Then we come home and get to decorate! Every other year, I've decorated while the kids are sleeping, but this year we brought out the stuff, I opened up the kid-friendly decorations, and sat back to let them at it. Hard to watch 4 ornaments go on the same branch, but over all it was really sweet to watch and they took their job very seriously. I actually left the vast majority of their ornaments placed, and just moved a few to avoid the whole 4 to a branch thing. 

I'm typically a person who likes a pretty tree, so don't expect too many lasting homemade decorations to stick around, but who knows!


This kept them busy for probably close to an hour. Then they sat there and played with the ornaments - reading the little books, spinning the balls, pretending the animals are talking, etc. 


These little books have been around since I was little. I remember reading them at Christmas time.


After they were done, I put a show on (they chose Lego Star Wars... very festive...), and I pulled out the "fancy" and breakable ornaments and did the top of the tree. They understand the boundaries and don't try to mess with the tree and my nice ornaments. They just play with the ones they put up, and know that the ornaments stay ON THE TREE!

In David's family growing up they had a tradition of rotating which kid got to put the star up every year. This is the first year we've had a star, and that means it's Dom's turn!

I got my stockings hung up on our mantle, and we moved the toy shelf out of the living room. It looks like a grown ups living room! It feels so cozy and I'm happy I'll have it set up for at least another month :)
(Ignore the big blue rubbermaid bucket...)

The last 4 years of Christmas Tree Family Photos!

2017

2018

2019

2020
Apparently I never shop. This jacket has lasted me 3 years, and I still only wear this one and the one from the 2017 photo haha! Also Dave still has the same toque since 2017 (and before). See! You don't have to buy new clothes every year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment