Thursday 17 September 2020

Thankful Thursday - 232

 This week I am thankful for...

1. A successful transition to preschool. Dom had his first day on Tuesday, and his second day today. I'm so proud of him taking on this big change to his routine! This is going to be so good for all of us. He's not super into playing with the other kids yet, and mostly follows Aunty Ashleigh around, but he'll warm up to his new friends eventually I'm sure. COVID has created extra social anxiety for already shy kids I think. "Wait, all we do is avoid people and not touch or get to close to people... now I'm supposed to go play with them?!"



2. Setting personal boundaries. I mentioned earlier this week, that I've very intentionally decreased my workload in order to take better care of myself. It's only been a few days, but I already feel so much better about what the next few weeks/months will look like. I've done little self-care thing like reading, crocheting, painting my nails, napping... and eating too many dropjies. I think we may need to make a trip to the Holland shop a weekly affair. 

3. Sit-down activities. Dom and Emilia have both been super into playing doctor lately. "Can I doctor you Mommy?" Um, yes. Any time! When I doctor them I try to do nice things like rub pretend lotion on their arms and brush through their hair. This is in the hopes that they'll return the favour when it's my turn :). Strategic.


4. Delaying gratification. A while back I did this exercise with both kids where I left them in a room with a bowl of marshmallows and instructed them not to eat any while I was gone. I secretly filmed it, and of course it was hilarious and adorable, but they were both successful! This week Dom came down from quiet time early and asked to "play the game where you leave me with marshmallows!" I obliged, but made it a bit more challenging this time, using my bucket of dropjies. I left him there and went upstairs for two minutes. Longest two minutes of his life I'm pretty sure. He was mostly successful... sort of :). The video is long, but I think it's worth it. The first minute or so is pretty slow and then he starts getting impatient. 


Here's a screenshot from the video as well...


I guess he grasped the "don't touch them" part of the instruction, but interpreted it as "don't touch them with your hands - everything else is fair game." I came back to some slimy dropjies haha!

5. A park playdate. It's been a long time since I've been able to go to the playdate in the park because I was always working Thursdays. Since I wasn't working today, I was able to go to Audrey's little birthday party at the park! Which basically means we had our playdate with cupcakes :). Dom was at preschool again, so it was just Emilia and I which was so relaxing. She loved not having to fight for my attention. She also loved baby Lucy <3. "Baby has hands!" "Yes, Emilia, Lucy does have hands!" "Hey! Me have hands!" Haha yes dear, it's just a tiny human. 

Happy second birthday Audrey!




Got my sleepy snuggly snuggles in!

No comments:

Post a Comment