Tuesday 26 November 2019

Oh Christmas Tree Oh Christmas Tree!

This weekend we went to get our Christmas tree! I think this is the earliest we've ever done this, but Dave and I are hosting our Small Group Christmas party this coming Friday, so it was a must!


We had made plans to go with my parents, Scott and Ashleigh. My Mom and Dad are having their house renovated, so they aren't doing a tree this year, and it's Scott and Ashleigh's first Christmas as a married couple, so that's fun. Such a special time. Jeff and Adam decided to tag along as well, and then came over for some games afterwards while the kids napped. 

We went to "Oh Christmas Tree Farm" in Langley, where we'd been a couple times quite a few years ago. The farm just opened the day before we went, so the selection was amazing. There were so many perfect trees! Dave and I decided on a 6(ish) foot tall Noble Fir. $$$ ugh. Every year I feel guilt for the fact that we spend so many dollars on a tree that's such a temporary investment. It would probably be better for the environment and for our pocketbooks to just buy a fake tree, but the Christmas tree hunt is something I so look forward to doing every year. I guess if I think of it as investing in an experience then I can justify it easier... yes, let's go with that! Also, it just smells so good, and how else would I bring those little spiders into my house? (Yuck. I always forget about the fact that I'm bringing in a real tree from real nature with real critters). 

Also yay! I asked Dave to bring his camera, and he got some awesome actual nice photos of our adventure.






Such a classic Dom face

This random resident lab followed us around and begged us to throw stumps for it most of the time.






And on to the less beautiful and crisp, but still meaningful photos (for me, the photo hoarder).

Our tree in its natural habitat. Man, I need a new phone so badly. This camera is crap



Dom decided the free ride outweighted the concern about doing something new in a new place






We sort of slowly decorated the tree the next couple days. We put some lights on it while the kids were napping so that they could see the tree all set up in our house and get used to it. I was also excited to see their reactions. For some reason I'm all sentimental about this Christmas and Dom turning three. I'm not typically a super sentimental person, but I find myself with a lump in my throat and some dust in my eye more than I care to admit haha.

Tired children not really caring about the new addition to the house

I was brave and took out some kid friendly ornaments to let them play with and attempt to hang on the tree. Control freak relinquishing some control over here! 



I spent yesterday evening listening to Christmas music and decorating the tree. Every year I think it would be fun to do it together with Dave as a couple, but this year we naturally didn't share the responsibility. He sat close by and was there if I needed him, but mostly I went into my own little world, humming along, placing the ornaments wherever I pleased. He always comes at the end to tell me which spots are bare or need a pop of red or something. What you may not be able to see in this photo, is that the top half and bottom half look very different haha. Top half is glass, sparkly, pretty ornaments. Bottom half is... not! #toddlers

No comments:

Post a Comment