Tuesday 12 November 2019

Happy Anniversary - Marriage Maintenance!

This weekend, on November 10, David and I celebrated 7 years of marriage. I think we make a pretty good team, and I'm so grateful every day that I get to do life with him. 


This picture is from Janine's wedding over 3 years ago, but I came across it today and I think we look good :)

We were originally hoping to go to Vegas with Scott & Ashleigh this weekend, but childcare proved to be a challenge, so we put our plans on hold. They then offered to take the kids for a night so we could go away or do whatever we wanted. Um, okay!! We booked a night at the Hyatt Regency in Vancouver through Hotwire on November 9, and planned to spend some much needed quality time together! 

On the 9th, we headed off to the city at around 11. On the way, I called the Hyatt to see if we could get early check-in. They couldn't guarantee it, but put us on a list. In the meantime, we were hungry. We decided to go to the Granville El Furniture Warehouse, which has all menu items for $5.95! We agreed 11:30 wasn't too early to start drinking, so we each got a beer, we shared potato skins, I got a Roasted Turkey BLT, and David ate a delicious burger. So worth the 6 bucks. 



We walked back to the car, and thought we'd go check if we could get in at the hotel. I'm glad we called ahead! They were ready for us, and half-expecting us. We parked downstairs and went up to the room around 1:00 to settle in. We got unpacked, looked out the 14th floor window for a while, and decided to go do some walking/shopping. It was drizzling, but David wanted to find somewhere to buy shorts so he could work out in the morning (who is this guy anyway?)! We went to Old Navy & Michaels, and continued walking around until it was time to get ready for dinner. 






He is so annoyed that I made him take a selfie haha! 

This. Just what I needed!

Speaking of dinner... We have been in a financial pinch lately, and actually tried to cancel this trip, but because we booked with Hotwire we couldn't. (I'm very grateful for this now). I was talking with Janine on Friday and she asked what our plan was for the day. I said we were probably going to go do Happy Hour at Cactus Club because we had a gift card, and then go back to the hotel and just hang out for the evening. She said that sounded nice, and then half an hour later texted saying, "check your email." I checked, and she had sent us a gift card for dinner at one of the Glowbal Restaurants in Vancouver. Wow. So generous, so thoughtful, and such perfect timing. Knowing we were able to go and celebrate without having to worry about money took such a load off of me, and I was actually super excited for the weekend!

We booked dinner at Black & Blue, which is a place we would never eat if we didn't have a gift card. $$$! However, it's our anniversary, and we felt like being fancy! We made reservations and David mentioned it was our anniversary. Right when we walked in, they greeted us and led us upstairs to a quieter table overlooking the restaurant. The host pulled out my chair and brushed it off. He then proceeded to lay my napkin in my lap for me. Aha! We haven't been to a "napkin kind of place" since our honeymoon! This was a "napkin kind of place." We started looking through the menu, and out of nowhere we heard a voice say, "Happy Anniversary" and we turned to see our waiter with two glasses of champagne for us. Great service! He was on the ball all night. I thought he maybe didn't have any sense of humor, but either he took his job very seriously, or he has a very dry sense of humor and was messing with us most of the night. 



I brought a dress I had every intention to wear, but when I put it on I just didn't feel like me. I opted for jeans and a cashmere sweater instead. Oh you can hardly see it in this dark photo, but I'm wearing a beautiful necklace Dave got for me 4 years ago for my birthday. When we sat down at the restaurant, our waiter said, "Wow. What a beautiful piece! Your husband has great taste; he's a keeper." I just said thank you and then we laughed for a while after he left because he called it a "piece" implying it was diamonds. No sir... it is not diamonds!

Dave kept glaring at me for trying to take pictures in the restaurant, so all I got was this fun chandelier above the bar, where we were looking down on. 

Anyway, we ordered a French Onion Soup and the Tuna Poke appetizers to start. Both were exactly what you'd expect... perfection. We then started to look at entrees. I knew I wouldn't be able to finish a whole entree myself, so I asked Dave if we could share something. We discussed whether that would be possible, and again, out of nowhere, the waiter comes to collect our plates and randomly says, "oh by the way, everything is shareable." For sure they've miked our table. We hum and haw and settle on the 14 oz New York Striploin, cooked medium rare, with a side of mashed potatoes and a side of broccoli. 

On the same page as our table being miked, the waiters can read minds too. I got up to go to the bathroom, and I must have hesitated for half a second, because all of a sudden a voice in my ear said, "You're going the right way." and then disappeared. haha! They see everything!

The steak was brought sliced perfectly on a little platter they set up between us, so we could split it up ourselves. The mashed potatoes and broccoli were also brought in their own dishes with serving spoons. This is my kind of meal! I have some control! We ate our food, and savored it with a couple glasses of wine. Finally, I was stuffed, but there was only one piece of broccoli left. I muster up the energy and eat this last bite of broccoli. As I am chewing, I feel something poke me. Then again. I thought there was a fish bone somehow in my broccoli. Nope... I pulled out a wire (like the kind on a BBQ brush). Oh mannnnnnn!!!! I hate confrontation and now I have to tell them what happened! I was mortified. Not that I found something in my food, that happens, but that we had to tell them. 


I snuck this one. You can sort of make out our steak sliced, the broccoli by me, and the mashed potatoes over by Dave

A man came by to collect our plates, so I quietly told him what happened and he was absolutely mortified. His body language said it all as he practically melted. Afterwards, our waiter came with the bill, and we realize he definitely hadn't been told yet. We told him what happened and he said he'd go get his manager. At that same moment, we see the guy who took our plates rushing (speed-walking) over and our waiter says, "Oh there he is now!" He snatches the bill from the table and says, "This should not have gotten to you!" How convenient that the man who collects our plates happens to be the manager. 

I know we probably could have gotten our whole meal comped, but really... the entire meal was so delicious, and our experience was so lovely and special for us. But mostly, I just really hate confrontation. He tried to offer us free dessert, but I declined because we were so full. He brought us back a bill and had comped our two sides. I definitely could have fought for more, but our bill now totaled almost exactly what our gift card was worth. 

David told the manager he was lucky this happened to us, and not to someone else who would over dramatize the situation! As we left the restaurant, the manager was waiting at the top of the stairs for us. He slipped Dave his card and said, "If you ever need anything, reservations, anything, just let me know." I guess he doesn't give his card out to just anyone. 

If nothing else, it makes for a good story! We wandered the streets a bit to try walk off the meat sweats, and stumbled (literally for me after a couple glasses of wine and wearing heels for the first time in practically ever) into the liquor store. I picked up a bottle of the Character Red from Hester Creek and we went back to the hotel. It was still early, so we played some games, read our books, and went to bed early! Ahh yes. Wouldn't be us if we didn't go to bed early! Haha


Happy place! Of course David bought me a scratch n win... I lost

At 630 in the morning David was up and headed downstairs to the gym. I slept til 7 and got up, took a shower, and we went down to get some Tim Hortons for breakfast. Check out was at 11, and we agreed to get the most out of the hotel and stay there until then. The morning was so peaceful. I spent a long time reading, Dave read for a bit, took a nap, and we played another couple games. 

Finally we packed up, put the stuff in the car, and went for another walk. We went down to Coal Harbour, and headed to Cactus Club for an early lunch. We were seated on the terrace, overlooking the water and Stanley Park through the big windows there. Could be worse! We had some money left on an old gift card, and we had brought $100 cash to get us through the weekend without using our credit cards much. By some freak fluke our total bill plus tip came out to exactly the amount of money left on the card plus the cash we had. Like within 50 cents. That was easy!




I ate the Tuna Poke bowl, and David got... the Crispy Chicken Sandwich i think. Sangria was on special, so naturally I had that... and a glass of wine. Nothing like day drinking when there's no kids around! 



Yes, hunny... Another awkward selfie



We went home to relieve Scott & Ashleigh, and pack up again and head out with the kids, because Dave's parents had invited us over for dinner! More freedom from the stress of reality :)

S&A took great care of the little ones; we didn't have to worry at all. On Saturday they packed both the kids up and took them to the Vancouver Aquarium. So fun! They sent a couple updates throughout the day, and the kids were exactly as I'd expect. Dom was cautious, afraid, and wanted to be carried lots. Emilia was marching around, independent, and wanted to lead the troop. 

We can't thank them enough for allowing us to have this weekend break to celebrate our anniversary. We will have to pay it forward when the time comes for them to need a break! Here are some of the pics they sent us of their fun :)



Sent with the caption, "Our fearless leader"





I guess they had a good day on Saturday, because Emilia slept like a log and woke up looking beat! Haha

No comments:

Post a Comment