Wednesday 8 March 2017

My Mother - 50 Years Young

On March 7 my mother turned 50 years old. (I hope I look half as good as she does when I'm 50!... Good genes right?)

There was a gathering/celebration for her on March 5 at Mom & Dad's house. They ordered Mom's favorite foods from her favorite restaurants. There was wine, beer and punch for everyone to enjoy. 

Many people who were there were awaiting baby snuggles. Of course this is the day that Dom decides to take his longest nap ever! He fell asleep on our way there, and stayed asleep for almost 3 hours. By the time he woke up he either missed some people, or got very brief cuddles before having to feed. 

We stayed afterwards for a while though, and he was as happy as could be! Gave Oma lots of birthday smiles and coos. 

On Mom's actual birthday, Dad arranged a whole secret plan for the evening. During the day, though, I took Dominic to "Noah's Ark" at the Surrey Christian Middle School, which is conveniently next door to Mom's work! I stopped in to say Happy Birthday and brought her some birthday Starbucks! Dominic just happened to be awake, so Oma got some cuddles in and paraded him around to her coworkers. 

She was taking a half day at work, so Dad took her for lunch with her mom, and then whisked her downtown for the day. They had dinner reservations for the two of them at Nightingale in Vancouver, and had parked at the Convention Centre. Jeff booked reservations for 10 people at Tap & Barrel right there, but just told Mom he and Marta were going to be there, so they should pop in for a quick Hello on their way back to the car. Her and Dad walked in, and got all the way to our table. Mom greeted Marta and THEN noticed the rest of us were there! Haha. We all surprised Mom there and have some drinks all together. Each of us kids said a little something to commemorate her 50th birthday. This was my toast:

As of today, you've been a part of this world for 50 years; 30 of which you have been our mother. It is hard to believe you have raised children for a collective 106 years!

Unless you've done it, it's impossible to appreciate what a rewarding, yet thankless job mothering is. While I'm only 10 weeks in, I feel like I'm starting to understand. Given that, I do not know how to begin to thank you for the 25 years you've been my mom. There is nothing I can do to acknowledge the sacrifices you've made. Half of your life you've spent raising, encouraging and mentoring me to be the best Mom I can be for my children. I would not be who I am today were it not for you (and not just because I'm your "carbon copy"). I feel blessed every day to have you to talk to, learn from, hold me accountable and lean to for support. 

Now that you've mastered the Mom thing, it is way too fun to watch you love and master the Oma thing. 

I don't say it often enough... I love you

Happy Birthday!


Naturally I couldn't make it through this thing without tearing up. Luckily most of our table joined me in that ;)

It was an absolutely perfect evening full of warm fuzzies, tears and joy. Now for some pictures of the days commemorating this wonderful woman's birthday!

Birthday Girl! (Photo Cred: Aunty Sonya)

Yup... more snow... on March 5.


Jeff & Marta made some decorations for the party. These are helium balloons (which were taped to the ceiling as the photos were too heavy) with double-sided photo memories attached. Super cute!


They also put together this banner.

Sonya & Anthony put together this incredible meat & cheese platter. Deluxe!

Chocolate Raspberry Ganache cake from Fresh Street Farms... I'm normally not a cake person, but I had three pieces!

Aunty Sonya also brought 50 tulips for mom! Loved all the colours

Some of Mom's favorite dishes

This is the "Veiled Lady". When Mom & Dad were in Europe almost 4 years ago (?) Mom saw this bust and fell in love. Dad hunted for it and got it for her for Christmas two years ago. It was a highlight for her.

The Wine Shrine


Spring Rolls from the Pink Lotus (delicious Vietnamese food in Fleetwood!)




Beautiful Sisters




Can't go a day without a Dominic photo!

And from the actual birthday day...

We sprung together and bought Mom this painting by Hillary Morris, whom she loves. We also got her a beautiful cashmere scarf from Kit & Ace, where Marta works

The whole gang after dinner (except Sonya who took the photo)

Dominic's first pub night!


Table dancing... gotta start them young! On Dom's first pub night he was table dancing, puked on himself, and was naked on the bathroom floor... Party animal! Haha


Chatting with Oma,wishing her a Happy Birthday

Sonya chatting with our waiter. He seemed rather fond of Dominic

Over all I hope Mom feels celebrated for her 50th birthday. Now we have to start planning Dad's which comes up this summer! Yikes! 

Our family is so special <3 Thankful!

1 comment:

  1. So lovely!! Happy Birthday Carolyn :) What a beautiful family you have!

    ReplyDelete