Thursday 20 August 2015

The Inlaws

I previously posted about how much I love my parents, so now I'll post about how much I love my in-laws! You often hear stories about what nightmares in-laws can be. They even make movies about it, like Monster In Law. I am one of the lucky few that doesn't apply to.

Larry and Shelley have done an amazing job raising their three kids. Rachel, David and Allana all grew up with a deep love for their family and very strong values. Larry and Shelley worked very hard to make sure their children were always loved, happy, and got to make the most out of life. 

They welcomed me with open arms when David and I started dating back in September 2007 (wow... that's almost 8 years ago). Of course we had our moments and it wasn't always easy, but I don't think it would be natural for everything to be perfect all the time. How does a relationship grow if there aren't conflicts to work through? 

They foster a very outward style of love and affection, which took me a while to get used to. I'm much more reserved with my affection (just ask David), but I've learned that it's okay to receive and give love more outwardly. My love language is the little things: emptying the dishwasher, lighting my favourite smelly candle, pouring me my favourite drink. Theirs is the outward things: saying I love you, hugs and kisses, giving gifts, etc. We've learned to appreciate each other's styles over time.

Overall, I have to say even though David's parents and my parents had different parenting styles, they still raised kids with very similar values. David and I wouldn't be the people or the couple we are today if we didn't have them to model our relationship after. Larry and Shelley have been married for 30 some-odd years already, so obviously they're doing something right!


A Larry in his natural habitat

Mother in-law & Daughter in-law

Photos at Bear Creek Park before our wedding

Can't you just see the love oozing out of them?




No comments:

Post a Comment