Wednesday 19 August 2015

De Jongs at the Cabin August 2015

The De Jong family had the cabin rented from August 4-16. David and I went up on Friday, August 7 after work and stayed until the very end. There were up to 25 people there at one time. We had to sleep in a tent, but luckily we got the mansion of all tents for us and the dog. It wasn't so bad. Only one night in there was WAY too hot... and smokey. 

This post will be mostly pictures, with some captions to highlight the events of our trip. Most of the days are passed eating, drinking, swimming and sun-tanning, so not much to report. 

Travelling in style. I feel like Sherlock is smiling for the camera too!

David literally spent all of Manning Park trying to catch up to this Corvette. We followed right behind it all the way from the end of Manning Park to Keremeos, where it turned off into a driveway. David said his trip could just end here and he'd be happy. I wasn't convinced. 

Shadow in her happy place. Fetching sticks in the lake! 

I did not personally hike the mountain (or hill) this year, but this is the view from the top. Gorgeous Osoyoos lake! The cabin is pretty much dead centre in this photo.


Sherlock and Kipper (Shadow's brother) were off to a rough start, but by the end of day two I had them both sitting at my feet while I ate. 

Sherlock is standing on the floatie in the water. He decided this was the opportune moment to shake and dry off. He's so adventurous; I love it!

Cue Jeff's signature face...

Oma De Jong taught us all this "Crazy Dice Game". There were many tournaments had over the weekend, and I don't know that there was ever NOT a game of this going on somewhere on the property. 

All the young adults headed out on Beer Island for a float in the evening sun. Stocked up with enough beer and water to last all night. 

Not my photo, but gorgeous nonetheless. Uncle Reynold spent most of the weekend stacking/standing rocks and teaching others to do the same. 

Storm rolling in over Osoyoos.

Jeff had a little too much fun at the Beer Olympics at the neighbor's property and took an impromptu nap on the lawn. We were in the cabin and decided it would be funny to put some warm water in a bottle and squirt it on Jeff's back. When Adam did this, David yelled, "SHERLOCK! NO!" Jeff proceeded to calmly wake up and go to the lake in disbelief that Sherlock had just peed on him. He even brought Sherlock into the water saying, "What did you just do?! Why did you pee on me you little twerp!" It wasn't until a little later that we told him what had actually happened. Great prank Adam! (P.S. this was supposed to be a video of his reaction, but in all my brilliance I forgot to change the phone from photo to video, so I got a photo of this, and then one of him in the lake rinsing off... oops!)

This is from our last full day (I realize now these photos are horribly out of order. Oh well!). It was very windy, and Uncle Anthony decided to take the boat out for a rip. I went with him and we drove to the end of the lake and under a bridge. I drove back from the end of the lake through the super rough waters. More than a few times I was scared we would flip, but he just sat there laughing and assured me I should trust myself. 

Jeff took Rachel and I for the tube ride of our lives. I fell off twice, and he whipped us through the reeds, resulting in a few welts, one of which was even bleeding. 

Beating the heat in/on the water. Note Sherlock on the left up on the floatie again. He kept swimming out to us and we didn't want him to get too tired. 

Juanita and I heading out to our day of wine tasting!

The first winery we hit is called La Stella. It's an Italian inspired winery and they have a beautiful tasting patio in the back. 

They also have a tower with stairs so you can walk all the way to the top. There are two little balconies at the top with a view of the vineyards and the lake. I could retire here. 

A photo of our first red wine of the day with the patio, chairs and gorgeous view in the background. 

At La Stella we could walk right into the vineyards to see the grapes. Here is a shot of some of the ones closest to the tasting room. 

Next it was off to Hester Creek for some more tasting and then lunch on the patio. I bought a bottle of their Chardonnay and Character Red to share, and then mom and Sonya brought Poplar Grove cheese and some other delicious cheeses and meats from Platinum Bench. Remember how my love language is wine and cheese? Boy did this hit the spot. With a view to boot!

On top of the delectable wine and cheese, there was great company!

It was Anthony's birthday, and he decided he wanted to go to Silver Sage Winery with everyone as well. If you've never been here, it is SO worth a visit. Definitely the best experience for tasting. Also you get to try 12 WINES! They have amazing dessert wines and other fancy things. Make sure you're prepared for the amount you drink though... Don't leave there and then hop in a car to drive. 

As I mentioned, it was Anthony's birthday that day, so when we got back the people who stayed behind planned a little surprise for him!

So many margaritas were consumed at the cabin. Or... shall I say... Stugaritas. That name is catching on as it's a recipe my dad introduced to many people.  

I mentioned in my previous Thankful Thursday post that there was a forest fire in Oliver while we were at the cabin. This was the first night of the fire when we could see the flames. It was very eerie and ominous. 

David took both this photo and the last one from the front lawn at the cabin. 

The day we were smoked out at the cabin. 

The gorgeous sunset. The sun was red because of the smokey skies.  

If there's one thing you need to know about the De Jongs, it's that they LOVE food. Every day seemed like a gourmet meal for at least breakfast and dinner. 

Highway 3 was closed from Keremeos to Osoyoos due to the Oliver fire. When we drove home it had re-opened, but you could certainly see why it would have been closed! Everything right up the road was charred. 

It was so weird to see this. I've driven this road dozens of times in my life and it's always looked the same. I suppose this will be good for the vegetation in the long run? 

I kept thinking how I really hope there were no cows in these fields or that they all escaped and were safe. 


Just for good measure, here is my new favorite picture of Sherlock. Sleeping "toller style" in his crate on the way home. He woke up just as I tried to sneak a picture. 


Never a dull moment at the cabin. I love it there and feel so lucky to have spent 10 days up there with the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment