Monday 17 May 2021

Weekend - Eva Meets the Family!

 This weekend was one of the most "normal" feeling weekends we've had in over a year. 

On Thursday we invited Aunty Sonya to finally come meet Eva. If anyone will appreciate a baby snuggle enough to make it worth bending the rules, it's her! 

Got this romper at the $1 sale at church <3




We also decided it was finally time for my Opa & Oma to meet baby Eva, and we were WAY overdue for a visit anyway! They're both vaccinated, we're vaccinated (though just one week in), and we were outside. It is amazing how much we have taken for granted in years past. Just the ability to see one's loved ones! I am very grateful for Zoom and photos, as it's kept the kids (Dom especially) familiar with and connected with family we don't see as often. Opa & Oma also know the key to Dom's heart and had a bowl of dropjes on the table, with some cookies and ice cream for a treat! Yup, that'll do it!



This past Wednesday, May 12, my Oma De Jong turned 90! She has been in Long Term Care at Elim for about a year now. We haven't seen her in person (other than once through a window) since last February. She is fully vaccinated, and long-term care residents are allowed to see people without masks now! There was a little outdoor birthday party set up for her this weekend, and family was invited to come see her and visit and reconnect after so much time apart. The last few times talking with her on Zoom or through the window/phone at Elim she's been pretty disoriented, but always remembered who we were. Seeing her outside, in the flesh, and being able to actually connect with her was so amazing! She was much more lucid than I think any of us were expecting. 

She's been told by quite a few people that we named baby Eva after her (Eva Affina), and she is absolutely tickled by it. Now there are 4 generations with her name. Affina, Carolyn Fien (short for Affina), Renee Affina, Eva Affina. We overheard her telling her friends there's a new grandbaby that shares her name! 

When I was sitting with her for a few she said something to the effect of, "You know, I'm here, you're here, your baby is here... it has been a LONG time since we've done this!" You've got that right, Oma! 

Dom and Emilia took a bit longer to warm up. I think Dom was overwhelmed by all the other people who were there. He was prepared for Bo Bo Moma, Aunty Sonya, and my parents/siblings. We weren't sure who else would be there at the same time. Eventually though, he was blowing raspberries at Oma and when he finally said, "Happy Birthday!" She turned and stuck her tongue out and blew a raspberry back at him and he laughed the hugest, heartiest belly laugh I've heard in a long time. It was a very sweet moment. They were both just giggling at each other. We also made a card and Emilia made a bracelet that said "Bobo Moma" on it with some beads. When Oma went to read it she was a bit confused and said, "BOB?! Why BOB?!" Eventually she got it, and remembered the kids call her that. She kept trying to remember the words and would get it a bit jumbled which she thought was funny, as did we. Bo Momo? Bomo Boma? Bobo Momo? :)

She loved snuggling the new babies. I wasn't sure how into it she'd be, but it was super awesome to see! You can kind of see the bracelet Emilia made for Oma here.

4 generations of women!

She got to hold Phoebe too! As they were leaving and Pheebs was in her car seat they came to say goodbye and Oma saw Phoebe and said, "OH! A baby! I need to hold her too! Take her out!" she had to be reminded that she'd already held her, but I loved seeing her enthusiasm!

Absolutely classic Dom move! Wait, something sports related?! See ya!


She melts me. With her little flowery dress and Minnie Mouse purse <3 Oh and her bracelet I made her that says Emilia :)



After visiting with Oma, we went to my parents house for crepes for dinner. Adam and Myles came as well, and Scott, Ash & Phoebe. Got all the babies together again! They weren't awake and happy at the same time, but got some shots of Myles with the girls anyway haha. 

Phoebe and Myles

Myles and Eva

Oh man... the next few years are going to be chaos! So many children, so little hands! We're going to be outnumbered before we know it!

Here are just a few random photos from the weekend as well...

Emilia has been loving her mini Frozen board books.

Why so awkward, Sherlock?

Got talking about beer and shared this Peanut Butter Stout with some neighbours! That evening we also had Scott & Ashleigh over for some patio beers. Eva happened to actually go to sleep for the night at 8:30pm, so I got some freedom in the evening. Between that, reconnecting with S&A, and having some good laughs and tears, it was such a wonderful/needed evening!

The next morning. Haha she kept grunting around at 6am, so I brought her into bed and she passed out again. I'll take the cuddles!

I got some new Star Wars books from the library. Nothing holds Dom's attention better!

All 3 kids were napping/in quiet time on Saturday, so Dave and I made our lunches, grabbed a drink, and had a mini-date on the back patio for a bit. Ahhh... breathe...

On Sunday we went to the Clayton Farmers market with S&A&P. I was nervous about getting Eva up from her nap to go, but it worked out. I nursed her while we waited in line, and then she slept in the wrap the rest of the time. Newborns are pretty mobile!

Got some tacos and fries from the taco truck for lunch.
Emilia's outfit makes me laugh. She just looked so confident in her own skin as she walked around the market.

Mommy, look how high me am!

He's so big... He's going to be 5 this year. I can't believe it.

And of course some play time with my littlest love <3

Not cute, but I started my barre blend videos again! There are just two postnatal videos, but I'll repeat them until I get the go ahead from the midwives to get back to regular activity. Then I plan to do a 30 day yoga journey with Yoga with Adriene, and maybe some beachbody work outs in between somewhere. Looking forward to getting moving again! Also grateful that I had 30 minutes alone to get this done today!

No comments:

Post a Comment