Thursday 25 June 2020

Thankful Thursday - 226 (And Little Life/Work Update!)

This week I am thankful for...

1. Book Club! I'm a part of a legit book club and just finished the book this week. Our last meeting is planned for next Thursday, but it's been lots of fun. My sisters in law and Aunty Sonya are in the group with me and we've been meeting over Zoom a few times throughout the book. FYI, I highly recommend reading this book :)


2. Highlights! I get my hair done usually once a year at the start of summer. I spent some time with Toba (same hairdresser I've been seeing since I was a toddler), read my book, and got freshened up!


3. Snuggle buddy. I'm so aware that Sherlock is turning 6 this year. God-willing we have many many more years with him, but it's crazy that our first baby is almost 6!



4. Lego. It's been fun this week playing regular little legos! These are the same legos I grew up playing with. My building techniques have not advanced much since then though...


5. Dom's writing! Something about this milestone is extra special - probably similar to when they first start reading. He's tracing my letters I wrote out in pencil, but still. All of a sudden his motor skills are connecting what he's seeing in his head with what comes out on the paper. 



6. Another job... So a few weeks ago I posted that I'd gone for an interview at the Midwife Clinic for a Medical Office Assistant position, and was offered the job, but declined. Well, they called back and weren't really taking no for an answer, so I reluctantly agreed to come give it a try. The schedule makes me nervous for when Spartan Foundation work picks back up again, but it's a little security in case of a second COVID wave; who knows when we'll be back to the office there! I had my first training day today, which was three hours with the office manager and the MOA I'll be taking over for. 
You guys... if today was any indication, this job is going to be everything I'd always wished (except for the pay... we'll have to work on that). When I was a client I always told Dave I could see myself working there and loved the environment and the midwives. We spent the morning learning their EMR program (electronic medial record), touring around the clinic, looking at some of the supplies, and talking. Lots and lots of chatting. If you know me, you know one of the things I love talking about most is pregnancy/birth stories/newborn babies. Well wouldn't you know it, that's the topic of most conversations at a midwife clinic! I got to hear all about a home birth the other MOA (who is also a doula) attended the previous night, and about the births the midwife (who happens to be the one we saw with Emilia and who delivered Emilia) has done lately.
The whole time I was thinking to myself, "Ahhh crap... This is going to be perfect." I was mentally prepared to go in and not love it. I was telling myself this was just a trial run, and I can always decide to leave the position. Well... if it keeps up this way, I'm not going to want to, but I also have zero intentions of giving up my SF position. What an interesting pickle to be in! 
For the month of July I'll just be doing Thursdays for training, then in August I'll do Thursday and Friday training days, then hopefully start on my own after that with my regular schedule (which would be Th/Fr). These days don't interfere with my office days at SF (Mo/We), but I can't expect Dave to watch the kids 4 days a week when he also works. We'll cross that road when we get there I suppose. Still keeping an open mind. 

No pictures for this, so here are some Dave sent me from his phone from the last few weeks.

Soaking up the rays on our new grass!

Ahhh, his monthly nap.

Posing beside the Audi that was parked at a house in our neighbourhood where we picked up some masks.

Good morning!

Some days I am so touched out by the end of the day, but these are the times I'm going to look back on so fondly one day. Slow down and enjoy, Renee!

No comments:

Post a Comment