Monday 2 March 2020

Back to Normal! (Fingers Crossed)

Well, I'm glad that week is over. It wasn't fun, but we're alive and well now!

All week we seemed to be dealing with one ailment or another. I had to miss a bunch of work, we had some unexpected significant expenses, and for some unknown reason I decided to potty train Emilia! Silly Renee!

It started with Emilia getting the stomach flu last Saturday, then I got it on Monday, then Dave on Wednesday. By the grace of God, Dom seems to have missed it (which is weird, because he's usually the first one to get sick in our house!), and our house should be germ free now. YAY! 

We started potty-training Emilia on Monday. There is no rush, other than the fact that I think Dom will be easier to convince if she's into it. He's interested and aware, but just won't ditch that diaper! Emilia, considering she's not even 22 months, has been a total champ. By the end of day 1 she was already yelling, "PEE" before she started to pee. There were many, many, many accidents on the floor, but we didn't make a big deal of it, and just celebrated whenever she peed, and extra-celebrated when some made it into the potty. 

She was super into her underwear, and tried hard to keep them dry. After a few days, our consistency was waning with both Dave and I being sick. She progressed a lot after the first two days, but then kind of plateaued at an "aware of what I have to do, but scared to do it" stage. She knows when she has to pee, but holds it until it hurts and then cries standing beside the potty, because she doesn't want to release on the potty for whatever reason. I'm not here to pressure her, just follow her lead. 

The kids stayed at David's parents' house this past Saturday night, so we put her in pull-ups that day, and we'll probably continue that and undies at home for the next while; slowly working at it, but not in any rush. On Friday, I actually gave up (we thought our hot water tank/furnace was dead, and I just couldn't take the added stress), and put her in a diaper and went to Costco. When we got home, she went towards the bathroom, and said, "Pee!" Her diaper was dry and she was clearly holding her pee until we got home. Good girl! I guess she's not ready to give up :)


"Baby Emmett" almost always had to be on the potty, too. Here it appears both their babies are sharing the "oilet".

We set up the little table so the kids could eat and do activities here, so that if Emilia had to pee she could run over easier than getting down from a chair at the kitchen table. That worked pretty well.

Dom was never far away, eager to entertain Emilia on the potty and cheer her on.

This is what so much of the week looked like. I'm sore from sitting on the bathroom floor: Waiting, encouraging, cleaning up pee, etc. 

Anyway, enough talk about pee... for now. 
Last last weekend our dishwasher quit, so we had to buy a new one. I love it. I love love it. It is SO quiet, and so smart (yes, a dishwasher can be smart), and there is so much space! Ah yes... money we don't have well spent. 


Out with the old...

Thank you Steve!!

In with the new.

On Friday morning we woke up and were thinking how cold it felt in the house. Ahh nuts. Our furnace isn't working. The pilot light for both the furnace and hot water heater were not on, and wouldn't re-light. I honestly just laughed. There was nothing else I could do. No stress tears left for me, just laughter. (That's healthy, right?). In the end, our hot water heater is 12 years old and will need to be replaced soon, but we got the pilot light back on, so we'll be okay for now. With the help of my dad, we got the furnace going to, but took WAY too long to realize something had bumped the switch on the wall to the "OFF" position... Well that's way too embarrassing! Haha! 

Friday night we were playing with Sherlock before bed, and we noticed something funny going on in his mouth. I took a look, and he has this giant lump under his tongue on the left side. It's super gross looking. David panicked, I googled. It is a "sublingual mucocele", which on its own is not dangerous. Dave took Sherlock to the vet Saturday morning and the vet confirmed my Dr. Google suspicions. He prescribed some anti-inflammatory drugs, and we have a follow-up on March 9 to get this thing drained or whatever they decide to do at that point. It's basically like a cyst; a build-up of fluid in/behind a salivary glad that was damaged somehow at some point. It has nothing to do with the first thing your brain goes to when you find a lump/mass, and he is not in any pain or discomfort (PHEW!). 

It's interesting how our personalities differ. In every day life, I am anxious and stressed, while Dave is (too) calm and relaxed. In an "emergency" or stressful situation, I'm calm and logical, while Dave tends to be stressed and illogical. 

Saturday afternoon I went to my cousin, Rachel's, baby shower! She is due on April 22, and they're having a little girl. SO excited for them! Aaaaaaalmost getting baby fever. Almost. Not quite yet :) David brought the kids over after nap time as well, which was fun.


I was on card-making duty. I sort of assigned myself to that duty so that I would be "forced" to make time to sit down and play with pens :)


I would expect nothing less than this incredible spread of food!


It was a Jack & Jill shower, so we didn't play some of the traditional shower games. Instead, Hannah put together a "Babies against Parenting" (instead of "Cards Against Humanity") game. Hilarious! I'd definitely recommend if you have a big group and want a funny/fun game!

We ducked out of the shower a little early to bring the kids to Gramma & Grandpa's for a sleepover! How fun is it that we're at that stage of life with these two! Dom was so excited all day. He had a lovely toddler meltdown in the morning when we couldn't bring him there right that second! They didn't give us a second look when we left, and it sounds like they were awesome little children for Gramma & Grandpa, both falling asleep easily and sleeping through the night. 


I love receiving photos like this when we're out. Dom was excited to cheer for the "Blue team". Unfortunately this night, the blue team was Toronto haha!

Why did we ditch the kids, you ask? Our realtors, Greg & Liz Holmes, invited us on a customer appreciation trip. Last year we did "Bad Axe Throwing", and this year was "Snowshoe & Fondue" at Grouse Mountain! Elissa and Michael were also invited, so it was a fun double-date with 21 other people! There was one couple at this event that was also at Bad Axe Throwing, and they totally remembered me and my random axe throwing talents, haha. 

I realized this week that we have no snow gear anymore, so I borrowed some stuff from my cousin Amanda, and Michael brought some stuff for Dave. It wasn't until the drive to the mountain that I realized I had accidentally been packed snow pants that were a Men's Large, not a Women's Small. HAHAHA! Oh gosh we laughed. How were we going to make this work?! It just so happened that the pants Michael brought for David fit over my many layers, and the Men's Large snow pants packed for me fit David perfectly. Meant to be :)

The snowshoeing was fun! I enjoyed it more than I expected, and wasn't as cold or uncomfortable as I expected. In fact, it was the absolute perfect evening to be on top of the mountain. It was clear as clear could be, and still - no wind. We trekked through the hills with our big group, most of us wearing headlamps (or head-candles as Dave kept calling them because they were hardly useful). It was hard to take pictures in the dark, so mostly I just enjoyed the experience. 


Beautiful sunset on our way to Grouse

Friends! It's been a loooong time :)

I wish I had taken a minute to ensure I had a really good picture, but it was hard to take my gloves on and off and focus and keep up and not fall over :)


One of our two guides

Almost made me want to go snowboarding, after not going for the past 14 years.

Oh, hi Husband! Nice to date you again!

After an hour of snowshoeing (I'll have you know I didn't fall once!), it was time for fondue. We had a private room with a city view, and walked in to a fondue feast set up! Salmon, chicken, beef, vegetables, bread, etc. All cut up for us to dip. There were two broths we could cook our meat and veggies in before cheesing them up. Delicious! After the main course was a chocolate fondue for dessert! Most of the fruit was melons, which aren't my favorite, but anything covered in chocolate is worth it for me to eat! We were sooo stuffed by the end. 



Random small world moment. At our table another random young couple sat with us. About half an hour into our meal we realized that the girl, Kianna, works at SCS Fleetwood Primary Campus as an EA. Elissa teaches at SCS Secondary school, and my mom is the Executive Assitant to the Superintendent, and apparently everyone knows who she is. What are the chances! 



We took the Gondola down, and were home in bed by 1130. Sunday morning we didn't have alarms set, and slept in until... wait for it... 7:30!! (I tried to caps-lock that to be dramatic, but you can't caps-lock numbers...). We got up, and decided we'd go to church, and sit in the service, together, without kids. We kind of missed them, but mostly it was very refreshing. 

After church we went to pick up the kids and have brunch, where Rachel, Kyle & Rebecca joined us. I love watching the three little ones play together. Dom loves Rebecca so much, "Rebecca! Can you come play with me?!" She's 9 weeks younger than Emilia, so just getting to the age where they can all play together. 

Back to work today, and excited to be back to normal. Fingers crossed there are no big surprises this week and we can continue to get our heads above water. 

No comments:

Post a Comment