Thursday 12 March 2020

Thankful Thursday - 214

First of all, a very Happy Birthday to my better half! The most wonderful, supportive husband and father <3. We love you!

Second of all, this COVID-19 thing really seems to be taking off. It seems less like comical hysteria now and more like it's something to be taken seriously. Professional sports have put their seasons on hold, US has banned all travel from Europe, many states have legislation against gatherings of more than 250 people, events all over are being cancelled, travel is restricted, etc. The whole world is literally shutting down. I started taking it seriously when major businesses, whose main focus is to make money, shut down. The economy is taking a big hit, and I'm kind of hoping mortgage rates go down as we have to renew our mortgage in a few months! Just please, PLEASE don't quarantine me with two toddlers for 14 days! Haha.

This week I'm thankful for...

1. Slowing down. Our small group is going through a series on Rest and Sabbath right now, and it is full of constant reminders to slow down. A prime example is going for a walk with the kids with no stroller, or letting them help with something in the kitchen, or basically trying to get anything done with them present. My yoga has helped with my breathing and mindset on this as well, but I am really loving the accountability the group brings!


A random cul-de-sac slide in our neighbourhood

David accurately depicting what it is like to walk two toddlers and a dog.

And after we remind ourselves that it's good to slow down and go at their pace!

2. Lent. We're just over two weeks into lent now. I had decided I was going to give up alcohol like last year, but after a week I felt very convicted to change my tune. I have switched my lent item to social media. No more Instagram or Facebook. All of a sudden I have so much more free time where I'm not sitting and scrolling on my phone. That used to be me taking a break, but now I can "rest" properly. Go sit in the sun and read a book, play with the dog, lettering, blog, do yoga, etc. etc. It has been a blessing to get rid of this distraction. (I'll cheat to post the blog, but then not go on again until Sunday). 

3. Pot Roast! David's dad made a roast in the crock pot last weekend and it was delicious. I noticed they were on sale at Independent, so I picked one up and made a pot roast with vegetables, mashed potatoes and gravy. So easy and so delicious! 


4. Random acts of kindness. I played bass in church last weekend, and when I got up to my music stand on Sunday there was a card sitting there. A woman in our church said she's never been good at giving things up for lent, so this year she's making a point of appreciating those around her instead. Love it! 


5. Celebrations! Last Saturday we went to Farm Country Brewing in Langley for my cousin Brad's surprise 30th birthday party! I'd never been there, but we had lots of fun! We played some Jenga and Cards Against, drank good beer, and enjoyed great company. 




6. Opa & Oma's house is almost fixed! My parents' main floor has been undergoing renovations since beginning of November. Every single day Dom asks me, "Is Opa and Oma's house fixed yet?" Well... we're getting there! They have floors and cabinets and counters! A few more finishing touches and I think it will be a functional living space again! 

Enjoying the open living room!

Finally moved the dining table down from the spare room upstairs, where they'd been eating their meals for the last 4 months.

They have counters now, but this is where they were at last weekend. Beautiful! So many drawers!

No comments:

Post a Comment