Wednesday 5 February 2020

Say Yes to Rest & Life as of Late

The sermon series at church is on a theme of rest and sabbath right now. Our small group is starting the discussion questions for this series, starting back from the first one a month or so ago. I can already tell it's going to be really good for me. I listened to the first sermon, and put it to work the next day. During my yoga that day, it was focused on stillness - aka rest (how fitting). At the end I had to lay flat on my back, and she instructed to let everything go. "Be okay with doing absolutely nothing in this moment." Why is that so hard?! My brain is constantly moving to the next thing, or feeling overwhelmed by my to do list, or feeling irritated with the kids for slowing me down. Time for an attitude change!

Another part of resting, enjoying the brief moments of sunshine this week! I know I say it every week, but I CAN'T WAIT FOR SPRING!

Emilia is sick of Dom pestering her and taking over her games, so she's taken to locking herself into the corner to do puzzles all by herself. It is the best. We moved the baby gate, which used to block that whole area, because we needed access to the bathroom for Dom's potty training. We have a second toy shelf on the landing on the stairs, and now occasionally they'll split up and have one playing up there and one playing downstairs. Either that or they'll both go up on the landing and play, and since I'm out of sight they play like little angels. I think having that bit of extra space and visual separation is super beneficial for them. 




Last Friday the groomspeople for Jeff's wedding went to get suits. I did not try on any suits, but since I'm a groomswoman I came along. I actually took the skytrain down for the first time in probably 6 years. It's so handy how you can just tap your credit card when you enter and when you leave! no more fighting with change, waiting in line for machines, or scrambling to find your ticket when the transit police come through to do their checks. 

I met Scott at Waterfront station after his work day, and then we drove over to Adam's work for some beer and ping pong! We met the rest of the guys at Nordstrom downtown, and while they tried on suits, Marta and I went shopping. For the wedding, she's ordered the bridesmaids dresses in charcoal for me in case we don't find anything else, but our ideal scenario has me in a fancy jumpsuit/romper in charcoal. I think that would be really neat. not a dress, not a suit, but something in between and unique (for a wedding). 

After Nordstrom we went to Colony(?) a pub with tons of games. It's like Castle Fun Park for grown ups. We had some food and beer, and then we dropped the Vancouverites back at Adam's work for more beer and ping pong and Scott drove me home. 


Why does my work not have beer on tap available in the lunch room?!

And a ping pong table for break time!

Looking dapper gents. The sales man seemed to notice I was taking a picture - how embarrassing :)

Saturday morning I went to the women's breakfast at church. My mom was speaking and shared about being an introvert in the church. Now my friends can see where I get my self-awareness from haha! Oh man, Mom and I are so much alike! Nice that I can feed from her life experience though, and figure things out about myself sooner than she was able to. 


I had every intention of taking a nice picture of Mom during her speech, but then I got caught up listening and completely forgot. So here is a picture of my hashbrown casserole, sausages, and french toast with fresh fruit and whipped cream **Drooool**. 

Mom & Dad came over to make crepes for dinner (Dominic's favorite meal - he literally eats more than me. It's disturbing). 



This Monday at work I was training our new Exec. Assistant for Events, and Steve took us out for sushi lunch. Yum! 

Monday evening Sherlock started acting weird again. It quickly became clear his stomach was acting up again and he couldn't keep anything down. Since he was really sick in October/November, he gets visibly anxious when he's feeling sick. He was uncomfortable, stressed, and kept looking at us with those "help me" eyes. After he purged everything we thought of to give him, we went and got our emergency meds. When he was sick before, the ultrasound technician prescribed us an extra dose of the stomach-repairing meds and nausea meds "just in case". I am SO grateful we had those on hand. He's doing another week of the stomach repairing meds, and taking the nausea meds when necessary, and then we're going to keep Pepcid on hand for times we notice it acting up again. We are also going to change his food, but the vet recommended waiting until things get sorted before changing his diet since it can aggravate things more. 

Yeesh! It's been a year I tell ya!

Hooray for pom pom play! This was my favorite when Dom was younger and Emilia was a newborn. The only downside is that pom poms end up everywhere. It is such a lovely quiet activity though, and it teaches colours, counting, fine motor skills. The best. 


Seriously, what do I do with this mop of hair?!




No comments:

Post a Comment