Wednesday 19 February 2020

Family Day Weekend

I don't know what happened, but suddenly (like overnight) Dom & Emilia have become best friends. They have no use for me any more other than feeding them. When I got pregnant with Emilia everyone told me it would be really hard for a while, but then they would become best friends and it would get so much easier. I figured it would happen eventually, but I had no idea just how freeing it would be. Honestly the first couple days I didn't even know what to do with myself. I read, did yoga, cleaned, cooked, baked... Now this morning I cleaned all our windows, kitchen, chairs, my bathroom, fridge, dishes, did laundry... What the heck!!

They are constantly together, cooperating and playing nicely and using their imagination and being active and talking. Fighting, too of course, however it is a much higher ratio of fun to fighting than it used to be. And fights can usually be fixed by food. Unfortunately, they play so well sometimes that they refuse to come eat lunch... So hard to reel them in!


Found them up here watching the neighbour boy driving his remote control truck. So now that the baby gate is down, it's like the kids have a little separate play room. The problem is... it's on the stairs! They use our stairs as their play area. There's two landings, and they spend a lot of time there. Good thing they're carpeted...

Dom got a kitchen set for his second birthday/Christmas, and he's been terrified of this toaster ever since. When you put the bread down, it pops obnoxiously at arbitrary times, so it's very unpredictable. This is a good example of their different personalities. Dom can't stand it, Emilia thinks it's hilarious!

Playing hockey while I sit and type a blog. (This was unheard of a couple weeks ago; I couldn't sit down at the counter ever)!

Cuddling on the couch - they don't watch much TV, but when they do Emilia always snuggles right up.

They went off upstairs the other day and I could hear them on the monitor. Dom was pretending to do her bedtime routine. Bottle, brushing teeth, reading her favorite books, etc. Warms my heart! Look how happy they are <3

Friday was Valentines Day, which we never really celebrate. David was out all day, and I was on my own with the kids. During dinner, I sat there thinking, "I hope he doesn't bring home flowers. In my ideal world he'll bring home some mini eggs, some scratch & wins, and when he shows up he'll send me upstairs to shower or do my yoga or whatever I feel like doing." Well guess who knows their wife? That is 100% exactly what happened, with zero prompting from me. Good work dear <3. We then went downstairs to the theatre room and he said I could pick whatever movie I wanted! We watched Bad Moms, and we both found it hilarious. 

Saturday evening we had Rachel & Allana over to play the Harry Potter game; it was Rachel's first time. Such fun! Still love that game and am ready to play the higher levels again. 

Sunday David was on media at church, so he was gone 730-1230. I took the kids to the 9:00 service and Emilia sat with Scott & Ashleigh during the sermon so I could take Dom to Cornerstone. He is so shy and timid in there. He won't talk to anyone or participate in any of the games. I don't think I'd want to either though, a lot of them are geared towards kids who are much older than him. I'd be super overwhelmed too! 
After church I went to a Meet & Greet for Noah Gabriel Brockman-De Jager. I'd met him a week or so earlier, and it blows my mind how quickly they change at this newborn stage! 

Sunday afternoon I made a huge batch of tacos and had almost my whole family (except Adam & Aly) over for dinner. The siblings stayed for games afterwards, which naturally ended in a beer pong tournament (thank you for the suggestion Marta haha)!




Monday was the official family day holiday, and we had brunch at Gramma & Grandpa's house. It was so fun seeing the three kids playing together. Immediately upon arrival they all ran down the hallway to the play room and played perfectly for the majority of our visit. 




The remainder of the day we kind of hung out around home; I walked the dog in the sunshine, David met with his business partner, we had dinner (leftover tacos), and we attempted a trip to Talize with all of us. Dominic had an epic 3-year-old meltdown, so that was cut short, but we will try a different family event one of these days. We closed off the evening with a family movie night in the theater (aka watching a 30 minute episode of Mickey Mouse before bed). 

Today David randomly got five Cotala shoots after not working with them for many many months. Not sure what that's about... Not that I'm complaining! Tonight I'm off to a Pampered Chef party, and then back to work again tomorrow. 


What a way to start the day this morning. So gorgeous!

No comments:

Post a Comment