Thursday 20 October 2022

Weekly Roundup - PUMPKIN PATCH/TYNEHEAD/BABY SHOWER/TOT ROMP/DUTCHIES

Okay I think my body is trying to tell me to slow down now. The last 4 days I have been achy all day. It feels like I have a fever, but I don't. I am not sick, I've tested negative for COVID. I am just worn. down. 
Anywho! Here's the last week and a bit in my life!

So last Tuesday, Dave was on child duty the whole day as I had a work meeting from 8-4. Our annual Vision Traction meeting. After the meeting I was completely toast. We had leftover meeting food for dinner and then the kids watched Ice Age for the first time. We were all howling - it's a good one!

Was sent this pic of Emilia painting at school <3

Gourmet sandwiches for dinner. We did a couple of them up on the grill. Nom nom!


Eva kept creeping further and further towards Dom's lap <3

Wednesday I had to go in to work again in the morning, and then came home to pick up Dom from school. That evening we had small groups at Steph & Brent's. Mom sat at our house that evening so she got to read with the kids before bed. 

Her face! She had regrets going down this slide for sure hahaha.

I was making salmon for dinner (I never buy salmon anymore because it's so expensive, but it was on sale) and randomly while in the oven my Pampered Chef baking stone broke! :( I've had it for 10 years! It was a wedding gift. It's past the warranty, so PC can't do anything about it, but dang it! Now that salmon was even MORE expensive! Grr.


Thursday I was really excited to have a regular down day with just Eva while the kids were in school. Dom woke up and it felt like his cough was starting to pick up again. After Thanksgiving dinner the previous weekend lots of the kids/babies were getting snotty noses again, so to be safe I reluctantly decided to keep him home from school. That was a blow to the plans for the day. I love him, and things are a lot less quiet when he's around haha. 
Anyway Dom & Eva got to try on their Halloween costumes during the day, and then we went for a family walk in the evening to go check out Halloween decorations around the neighbourhood (or as Eva calls them, "spooky guys" (koopooky).

I feel attacked.

This costume will always hold a special place in my heart <3. I made it for Dom when he was going trick or treating for the first time. Before he turned 2. Emilia wore it when she was 2.5, and now Eva is going to wear it at 1.5! <3


Dom wants to be a police man this year!


Looks beautiful doesn't it? Just starting to finally become Fall in mid-October. Still warm. Not pictured is Emilia's sobbing loudly as she bikes because who knows why. Instagram vs. reality! Haha

Friday morning I went to spin, came home to get Dom ready for school, and then did drop off. It was the Kindergarten Pumpkin Patch Field Trip day and I wanted to go along too! I dropped him off, drove to Maple Ridge (BY MYSELF! WITH MY OWN MUSIC!) and got a Starbucks to drink all. by. myself. Magic. 
Then 85+ kindergarteners showed up and it was go time haha. For the pumpkin patch they recommend rain boots, but let me tell you. There was no rain. It was the dustiest pumpkin patch day I've ever seen. September 16 we supposedly got almost 2mm of rain. Prior to that we got another 1.5mm of rain on July 17. The last day that we got more than 2mm of rain was June 18... I can count on one hand the number of days of any precipitation since that point. That is 124 days. Of probably 10mm of rain total. NOT ENOUGH!!! We are ready! It's also so smoky because it's mid-October and there are still fires going on all around us and the smoke is just socked in. It's gross. It also turned out to be nearly 30 degrees that day which I was not expecting. I forgot to pack food and water for myself and overdressed so whew... It was an exhausting day, but I'm glad I got to go.
Anyway, Dom got to ride in a school bus for the first time! He was nervous, so I told him all about how I used to ride the bus every day to and from school, what to expect, what the rules would probably be, etc. We went to Laity Pumpkin Patch South for the field trip. It had tons to do/see. Animals, tree maze, corn maze, obstacle course, barn with more animals, lawn games for kids, and of course the pumpkin patch. That part almost felt like an after thought as we hit it on our way back to the bus haha. 








Quick snack break!

Dom and Logan ripping through the corn maze





Neat little glow tent area


Dom rocking the sling shot!

And the ropes course! See the wall behind him? He JUUUUUST about got up on his third try. Grabbed the top and got an elbow up, just couldn't swing his legs over. Not bad for gum boots!

Pumpkin canon shot down a huge tower of barrels


Finally got to pick his pumpkin <3

Dom & his bestie, Daniel. They went to preschool together and are in different classes now, but still play together every chance they get. 

So dry.



Me in the afternoon hiding from life haha. It was an exhausting day/week. NEED. TO. INTROVERT!!

Saturday morning I went to the $1 sale at church and puttered around the house trying to recover/prepare for another busy week.

Okay soapbox moment! Do you ever get headaches from the sulphites in red wine? I love red wine, but have been avoiding it lately because I can't have more than a glass without getting a horrible headache immediately. I was talking to the lady at Everything Wine about this and she told me about this stuff. It's sulphite killer. SO they have these pouches and you just pour one into your bottle of wine and it kills the headache-causing sulphites without altering the taste of the wine at all. I bought a pouch like this and a spray bottle so you can just add 2 sprays to a 5 oz. glass of wine. I gave it a good test the other night and let me tell you. It's magic. I could enjoy my wine without the headache! Everybody needs to know about this. 

Sunday morning we were invited for a walk to Tynehead. Dave had some Halloween stuff to work on, so I brought all the kids, bikes, stroller, dog, etc. Minor regrets! Haha. Jeff, Marta, Owen, Adam, Myles and Oma came too. The walk was about twice as long as usual because we let the toddlers walk for a bit (that's the main regret as cute as it was)! D&E did pretty well, but were TOAST by the end. 

Put a snack in Dom's pocket and told them they could eat it when they got to the barn just to get them moving

Dom's translation "Slow down for old men"



<3<3

This photo definitely embodies Myles' spirit 

I stopped in at my parents' place before Hannah & John's baby shower in Fleetwood for a quick game of marbles that I crushed. 


At the shower we got to visit with the Dutchies we hadn't seen since before COVID! I also got to be swaddled by Jeff & Adam for a game which was remarkably cozy and hard to escape 
from. I felt a little bad as I was supposed to come with Dave and the kids too, but I really wanted a break haha. Needed a break. Wanted to be present and enjoy myself :)


Monday was a normal day finally. Whew! Dom was in school, Emilia played nicely, everyone was healthy, etc. In the evening Dave and I went for a visit with Katrina and Brayden and we had a neighbour girl babysit for the first time. Freedom!

Pictures never capture the red sun properly, but the air quality is so bad. On Wednesday you couldn't even see 8 blocks ahead of you. So socked in. 



Katrina even put pocky sticks on the charcuterie board! Nostalgic for me for some reason

Tuesday both the big kids had school so I took Eva to tot romp with Scott & Phoebe. In the afternoon we had Tom, Juanita and Ruben over for dinner and a visit. It was really nice to spend some quality time with them in a smaller group. It's just hard to connect in large groups. I really value Juanita's friendship even though we only get to see eachother every few years <3. 






Eva and Ruben puttered in the kitchen just babbling to each other in their own languages. It was adorable


Wednesday I did spin in the morning and then went straight to work. After work I went for a walk with Natalia and then was home for half an hour before a work meeting. I was toast after that and we just made pizza instead of the meatballs and gnocchi I had planned. Just gotta let it go sometimes! I'll do that another day. 

Today I am off to a pedicure


2 comments:

  1. I am really thankful for our friendship as well Renee!:) So nice to spend time with you again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha anonymous, o well you know;)

      Delete