Monday 14 March 2022

Last Week - Flu/Family/Birthdays/Poker

I mentioned at the end of my last post that Eva seemed to have some sort of stomach bug. She seemed to be much better and slept through the night. Phew!

Tuesday evening we went for dinner at Jeff & Marta's. I had a chat with the big kids ahead of time about manners, and they were excellent. All "Please could you pass the butter?" and "Thank you for the dinner! Can I please have some more?" Perfect haha. 





Little snuggler <3


Dom even took the liberty of tucking a napkin into his shirt haha


Wednesday evening Dave and I were watching the Survivor season premiere and got to bed a little later than usual. As we crawled in, my spidey senses went off and we checked on Emilia. Sure enough... puke everywhere. Not sure if she was just in shock or what, but she didn't think to call us to let her know what was happening. We got her bed and her cleaned up and back to bed. I was prepared for a long night, but over all I only got 2.5 hours of sleep or so. She was up sick a few more times overnight, but my ears were in hyperdrive so my brain never actually really rested. 

She was up Thursday morning and it was apparent she was still not feeling well. She was very tired and lethargic. Throughout the morning it became clear that Dave, Dom and I were also getting sick. Nooo! Dom randomly went upstairs to bed and had an almost 3 hour nap. Emilia and Dave passed out on the couch for an hour and a half or more, and I had an hour and a half nap upstairs. Neither Dom or I threw up at all, but he was green when he went to bed, and I had some very close calls. The Gerber gut prevails! 

This kind of sickness means 2 movies and TV the vast majority of the day.

Dom asked if we could turn off the TV. Actually asked to turn it OFF.

She doesn't care that we all feel like shit haha.


I was sitting here and she crawled in to cuddle. She was rubbing my arm and within 2 minutes I look over and she's completely passed out.

By Friday morning we were all feeling much better, but no one had much of an appetite still. Eva was 100% fine and full of energy this whole week including when she was sick on Monday, so that was extra exhausting for me haha. I didn't sleep well Thursday night into Friday either just waiting for myself and/or Dom to be sick. 

Friday evening we got the kids to bed a little early and ordered takeout to celebrate Dave's birthday. His actual birthday was Saturday, but he had made plans for a guys night, so we celebrated together on Friday. We weren't feeling 100%, but enjoyed some dinner, a sip of whiskey, and relaxed on the couch to rest up for the next day. 


Cheers to 31! Whiskey, glasses, scratch & wins

Saturday morning we laid low, and were 48 hours clear of the flu by the late afternoon, so we went to Jeff's drop-in birthday party. Dom's friend Oli was there again, and there were just so many babies. At one point there were 7 babies all born within 5 months of each other - 6 of which were playing at one toy together. Madness! We had a chuckle with Jeff and his friends about how different his 30th birthday looked from his 35th haha. 


We came home, got the kids to bed, and then Dave's friends started arriving for their poker/games night. Some Mario Kart, darts and poker. I went to bed around 1145, and Dave didn't make it to bed until nearly 3:30 (after time change). Yeesh! 

Garage turned man-cave extension






Yesterday I randomly decided to do our taxes. I don't love tax season. With Dave running his own business it's a lot of work. It also most often means we owe a lot of money. Boo! It's also a matter of just hoping I'm doing it right and not royally messing anything up! 

Around 4:30 we had the Kimber fam over for pulled chicken dinner! We hardly saw the kids as they all played up in Dom & Emilia's room. Eva was an absolute ham. She was definitely enjoying all the attention. 



Dave's birthday was spread out over the whole weekend, and I leave you now with this super dorky poem I wrote for him and read to him when we celebrated on Friday :)

HAPPY 31ST BIRTHDAY

My dear David Michael, what can I say?
Except to wish you the most special day!
Years ago in your oversized pants and t-shirt
You met a cute girl and thought you should flirt.

Fifteen birthdays later, and look what we’ve done!
This game of life, I dare say we’ve won.
A high-school romance has blossomed to this;
Are you cold? No? You sure? Well… we should kiss!

A wedding day like I’ve not seen in a while;
That’s because we did it “Renee & David Style!”
Mexico calls! Fell asleep. Not my fault!
It’s all the margaritas on the rocks, no salt.

A sudden tragedy left us unsure what to do.
How to run a business – we haven’t a clue!
Now in the 10th year, you’ve made it my dear!
A job that you love, and it all feels so clear.

A trip through Europe we made on a fanciful boat,
And finished with many castles on hills, but no moat.
Back home with jet lag – it’s really a slog.
What now? I know! Let’s get a dog!

Our love grew for Sherlock and new plans unfurled.
A house, trying for kids and Harry Potter World!
Late 2016 our dreams finally come true;
A big little boy we welcomed to our crew!

Another, and another?! What are we thinking?
Two of us, three of them. It feels like we’re sinking.
But lucky we are, to be Dad and Mom
To Evie, and Wheels, and first of all Dom!

You and I have worked hard to communicate.
Enneagram 1 and Enneagram 4. Opposites. Great!
Logic and feelings we each bring to the table;
But put them together, they make us most stable.

I can’t wait to see what our future may hold.
But I can say for sure that together we’ll grow old.
David, I love you and thank you for being
My best friend – I do hope I find you agreeing!

Happy birthday to you, Happy birthday to you!
31 years young. Next year 32!
Enjoy a few drinks, games, and poker with friends,
And know that I’m here with you until the bitter end.

- Love Renee

No comments:

Post a Comment