Monday 11 May 2020

Weekend to Celebrate - Emilia's Birthday & Mother's Day

As we slowly and carefully expand our circle, we've started seeing my parents and David's parents a bit. Still keeping outside 95% of the time (which has been easy with this weather), and still physical distancing as much as possible. This timeline has aligned well with the celebrations for Em's 2nd birthday and Mother's Day. 

Last Thursday we visited Gramma & Grandpa for a delicious steak dinner and played in the backyard. 

She's so goofy <3


I can't recall if I shared this story already, but the first time we came here (a week or so ago), Dom was playing in this little tent. There is a bigger hole on the side he's peeking out of here. He must have had his hands up on the top of the tent, and was looking out of the hole, when the whole thing tipped over. There was nothing he could do to catch himself so he totally face-planted and started crying. We went to rescue him just to realize he'd face-planted directly into a spot of mud. Mud in his nose, in his teeth, all over his face and his knees. Oh my gosh. I'm a terrible mother, but it was soooo hilarious. Poor guy!

Another gem... boys... I guess it's convenient being a boy and randomly deciding you want to do a nature pee in Gramma & Grandpa's backyard during a pandemic. Later on, Dave and I were sitting at the table, and I hear from outside, "Mommy! I'm doing a nature pee!" I look outside and Dom is standing in the middle of the yard, with just a t-shirt on, but pulled up to his chin, prepping to pee - just into the air I guess. I ran out and encouraged him to go to a tree, so he ran over to the same tree as before and stood there with his hands on his hips and peed. Why was I not prepared for this part of having boys?! Haha




On Friday we just hung around at home during the day, and played outside for a long time. In the evening Scott and Ashleigh came over for our weekly adult dinner, and we stayed up way too late for beer, a fire, and poker on the back patio. I love summer. 

Dave created a little race track obstacle course that he and the kids ran/biked/pushed around for a while.


Sherlock always wants to come outside with us, but we always feel like he's too unpredictable and would be totally antsy. I decided to give him a chance, and he just laid beside me while I read my book in the grass, taking in the sights. Good boy!

I thought it would be a good idea to do an outdoor picnic with my family on Emilia's birthday, so we scoped out this spot next to our house and decided it would probably be big enough!


Making some signs for Bobo Moma's birthday coming up. She's at Surrey Memorial and nobody is allowed to visit right now, so the family is putting together a video for her.




Dom was really excited about Emilia's photoshoot, so he and Dave did a few "jumping" shots too.


This is so their personalities

Always playing with his face



Mmmmmm smoothie!

Tuna Poke bowls for dinner. Yummmmmmm


This brings us to Saturday, Emilia's 2nd birthday. I picked up a load of Littlest Petshop toys for free, so we set them up on Friday night so Emilia could wake up to them downstairs. Naturally, she decided to sleep in forever on Saturday morning. We tried to keep Dom occupied upstairs as long as possible, but when he got too eager to come down, I went to try wake her up. The first attempt was unsuccessful. The second attempt she was not impressed with me, but I managed to get her vertical. She came stumbling down the stairs and in her sleepy daze was so excited to see all the fun toys! Got right to work quietly playing. 



Wake upppp




Her first hair bun <3

While she discovered and played, Dom helped Daddy make some birthday pancakes!



She is such a little girl. I can't believe it

Aunty Ashleigh graciously offered to come make cupcakes with Dom & Emilia for her birthday party.




Aunty Ashleigh then graciously left me with two kids just starting their sugar high haha!

After naptime it was out to the "yard" to get the party started! Everyone brought their own blankets/chairs, food, and drinks. This was our attempt at following Dr. Henry's rules, while still getting together with our family.


Dom FINALLY got to show his uncles and aunts how he drives his BMW, taking a victory lap around the complex with entourage in tow.

Dom was very helpful and super patient with the present-opening. It's hard for a toddler to watch their siblings open a present and know that they're not getting anything! I don't think there was a single meltdown, and he seemed pretty happy to just be happy for Emilia. We spent the couple days leading up to the party prepping him for this.



Her new mermaid doll with a diaper <3

Mom and Dad are here too, but to the left of Jeff & Marta.

Just 17 more years to wait, Emilia


Dom has developed so much in the last two months, and he was on fire just wanting to show off and interact and talk to everyone. Show them all what a big boy he was. The last time most of these people saw him he was still in diapers.


Uncle Adam brought a Minnie mouse balloon, which was a hit. It is now ominously floating around my house at hip-height.





Sherlock and Benny played tug of war!


This brings us to yesterday - Mother's Day! I spent most of the morning relaxing and sitting outside reading a book. We decided to get Cactus Club takeout for lunch, and eat it on the back patio while the kids had nap/quiet time. Genius!!! It was soooo lovely.


I ordered some Rose and it came in a juice-box. Good job Cactus Club :)




After lunch I went and did some reading and lettering upstairs on the deck. I suddenly remembered this magazine Dave made for me two years ago for Mother's Day. Ahh yes. I should definitely bring this out and read it every year. 

After nap time we went to Gramma & Grandpa's to celebrate Emilia's birthday and Mother's Day with them - again in the backyard, and for dinner!

Allana and Gabriel were there too, which meant the kids had two more dogs to play with! Fynn & Voltage. Voltage loved to lick their ears. Emilia was tickled pink





Glad she brought her mermaid doll along, because she was gifted a doll stroller and high chair!




Emilia got two candles, and Dom got to blow out one on his side too!

Then I asked Shelley to bring out some pictures of Dave when he turned two. Man does Emilia ever look like him. Their resting faces are so the same. Same shape face, same chin, same mouth/lips, same eyes. Hilarious.



That was a super fun, super full weekend when we're used to not seeing anyone or doing anything outside the home! Back to regular life today :)

No comments:

Post a Comment