Thursday 17 October 2019

Thankful Thursday - 200

200th Thankful Thursday post! Crazy...


This week I am thankful for...


1. A lovely Thanksgiving weekend. 
Friday night we spontaneously had some people over for games. I invited my siblings, and Jeff, Scott, and Ashleigh were able to make it. Scott then asked if he could invite Wes. Yup no problem! We had a great night and laughed a loootttt. Playing Cards Against in a group like that has that effect. 
Saturday we were supposed to go to Cultus for turkey burgers with David's parents, but that morning they decided to stay home. Turkey burgers at their place it is! I was secretly excited that we didn't have to drive 2.5 hours round-trip with two hungry/sleepy toddlers to be in the potential cold/rain. We instead got to visit in their cozy home, watch the three kids run around in and play with all the toys, and eat delicious warm turkey burgers! Love that nontraditional twist! (Wow, I took no photos of this day. I'm the worst!)
Sunday we didn't have any plans, but after church we were invited by Scott & Ashleigh to go to their place for "Thanksgiving dinner". Scott cooked an incredible meal. We had roasted chicken, stuffing, potatoes & gravy, beans, and fresh baked bread. The kids behaved themselves, we had yummy Thanksgiving beer with dinner, and then S&A came over afterwards to play some games into the evening!


Emilia called Aunty Ashleigh "Abby", so that's something! haha

5 minutes of bliss while the kids did a puzzle together in the other room.

Monday we were at my parents' place. My siblings and us got there earlier than we otherwise would have to help dad prep dinner, because the usual cook, my mom, was out most of the day. We all had a great dinner and a fun (only slightly over-competitive) game of Pictionary. Dinner was ham, fresh baked dinner rolls, candied yams, poached pears, roasted veggies, and brussel sprouts. We put the kids down at their place. Emilia was easy as usual, but Dom doesn't fit in the playpen anymore, so we put him in the queen size murphy bed. He actually did pretty well considering, but did take a while to settle. I always hate waking them up to take them home after. 


Dom & Uncle Jeff watching hockey; the start of a beautiful sports relationship


This is like a $60+ bottle of wine. Sure beats my $5.99 Bell Grove I have at home! Yummmmmyyyyyy. 

2. Emilia is talking!!! She's been a slow talker compared to Dom. She hasn't had many words, and never put much energy into communicating. In the last two weeks she's had a major language explosion. She is suddenly copying almost everything we say. Dave called me at work yesterday and gave Emilia the phone and I hear this tiny little, "Hi Mommy!" I almost teared up, she is so sweet. I'm having a ton of fun with her right now at this age. She can communicate her needs, and she can show affection in ways other than wanting to be held all the time. She thinks she's funny and makes little jokes or repeats other things she thinks are comical. Now that she can talk/understand more, her and Dom seem to be playing better together too. She's following his relentless instruction, and they have their own games and dialogues going on. Slowly they're becoming best friends, and I am excited for them to become more independent, together. Does that make sense? Need me to play with them less because they're playing with each other. However, Dom is very bossy, and I'm not sure that'll work well for Emilia haha. 


Needed something to show for this, so here's a quick video I took today.

3. New dishes. We can't afford new dishes, but they've been on my wish list for years. My parents offered to split the cost (for an early birthday gift) of these new beautiful Mikasa dishes that were a ridiculous deal at Costco. I had been admiring this exact set of dishes for months already. When we got married I got a box of dishes from a garage sale for $5. They served their purpose, but we got some nice-looking white IKEA plates recently from Marketplace. David can't stand them because cutlery squeaks on them too much (he's very sensitive to that haha). I now have my (hopefully) forever dishes. If you buy a set like this at the Bay, it's like $800; these were $99.99 per box! I now have 16 place settings with a big plate, small plate, big bowl, small bowl, and mug. I think we're set. 


$100 for these... seriously. Go buy some Katrina! ;)

4. Halloween costumes. Growing up my we (my mom) always put together our costumes with stuff around the house, stuff from Value Village, and some time and imagination. Last year I crafted the crap out of Dom & Emilia's sweet Harry Potter themed costumes. Halloween is not my favorite, but it's very important to Dave. I wasn't feeling inspired this year, and with this new job, I do not have the time to plan and create a costume. I, personally, am not a fan of store-bought costumes because I feel like everyone is wearing the same thing. BUT... this year I caved. We were at Costco and I saw the little unicorn costumes on sale for $9.97. I wouldn't be able to make something for that price, so I got it. Now Emilia can match her little friends who are also being unicorns... like I said, everyone wears the same thing haha! Then it was Dom... What would Dom like to be? I found this Darth Vader costume on Marketplace for $12 in his size. It comes with a suit, cape, mask and working light saber. Well... again, I could not make something for that price. Even more convenient, they were located a block from my parents house. Dom is SO excited about his costume. Hopefully he'll actually wear it on Halloween. That's the other wildcard with an under 3 and 1.5 year old; I don't want to put tons of time and effort into a costume if they chicken out on Halloween... This is less stressful.




He's so handsome and big. I can't believe it. Side note. He was 39.6 lb the other day... Let's just say the growth chart for boys birth-36 months only goes up to 38lb... he's not just above the curve, he is literally off the chart for weight haha! Like 85-90th percentile for height.

5. I voted. I went back and forth so many times before finally casting my vote. If anyone is interested how I voted, I'm happy to talk about it, but I won't post on here because that opens the door for too much public social media discussion! You know how people get with the anonymity of a computer screen! Haha. If you know me, you can probably guess how I voted anyway. I'm curious and kinda nervous about how this election will turn out though. I think it's the first time I REALLY paid attention. 


Nothing to do with voting, but Emilia is so cute walking around with her backpack all the time <3

No comments:

Post a Comment