Friday 15 April 2022

Thankful Thursday - 291 (Sports/Eva/Exercise!)

 Man my days are full right now! All good things and it makes the time go faster, but whew! Busy!

This week I am thankful for...

1. Ice Skating. Dom has been obsessed with hockey for as long as I can remember. Watching hockey, playing it in the living room, playing it on the road, playing it on the deck, playing Playmobil hockey, etc. You get the picture. He has been BEGGING to play ice hockey too which of course is more complicated than just playing ice hockey. We mentioned he'd first have to learn how to skate. He's never been ice skating before and we figured he'd take a while to warm up since it's something new. Dave spontaneously took him skating on Wednesday after dinner and we went in with very low expectations. 

Dom was so excited he could hardly contain himself leading up to it. We talked about how ice skating is different than just playing outside, and that he'll probably need some help, and it will take time to learn, and there will be other people there, etc. All the things we normally need to prepare him for. He just kept saying he will be so brave, and he can't wait, and he wants to play hockey, but understands he needs to learn to skate first. 

If you know Dom, you know he's an observer. He usually likes to sit back and watch new things for a while before feeling confident enough to jump in himself. Not this time! He got his skates, got a helmet, and got out on the ice with Dave! A few laps around with Dave holding Dom up and getting him used to the feel of skates and then Dom demanded Dave let go. "I want you to let go. I want to fall. I want to practice getting up. I want to lay down and FEEL the ice!" (What the heck is this child?) That's exactly what he did. By the end of the hour he was able to actually take 5-10 strides on his own before falling over. Dave said he's never seen him so determined to do something in his life. Dom kept denying help to get up even after failing again and again and again. 

Sigh... I knew he wanted to play hockey, but I didn't realize how badly it actually has to happen. Best start saving now! This boy is at his best when playing sports. We've known that for years. 


He of course insisted on wearing his Canucks jersey too

Even stoked to fall down. Just happy to be out on the ice

2. Spin class. I just went the one time this week. I was hoping to get to go again, but as mentioned above... SO busy. The plan is to try an early early morning class to see if that's something that's doable. I like that it's low impact and it's in the dark so I don't have to feel silly or shy haha. I am doing a ClassPass trial so I get free credits to use for another week and a half which will get me a few classes if I can squeeze them in!


3. Basketball Hoop. This week is apparently focused on activities! All our neighbours were 100% on board with getting a basketball hoop out front to share. Technically we're not supposed to have one, but a unit on the other side of the complex has had one outside for over a year and I guess it's fine? SO! Dave found on on Marketplace and we got it today! Dave is definitely hoping it sparks Dom's interest in basketball as much as hockey. My future wallet is also hoping so haha! 

I didn't get a picture of Dave and Dom, but Dom joined Jesse and Kirsten out there earlier today. He actually scored a few times!

4. A full year of this ray of sunshine. I haven't shared on the blog yet because I have every intention of writing a post specifically about it, but I am 98% sure I am done having children. All my life I've been absolutely certain I was having 4 and I wanted 4. Then about a month or so ago I had a revelation (it literally happened in one day), and I realized I think I'm done. While that's sad in some ways and I have grieved, I am feeling confident and great about it right now. My family feels complete (I wouldn't have been able to say that a couple months ago). Eva has been the best thing to happen to me this last year. It's been quite the year indeed... Not to be cliche, but it held some of my lowest lows and highest highs. She was one thing that kept me going. Most first years with babies is give give give from Mom, but with her it felt like a give and take relationship. Anyway... maybe sometime I'll actually get around to writing a post about my revelation and how I came to it, but for now this will do! (Happy to answer questions if anybody has any - it's not too sensitive of a subject for me). 

Honestly... she's the greatest baby <3

A picture of Wheelia to balance out this post haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment