Monday 3 January 2022

Happy New Year!

I don't usually do New Years resolutions and this year is no different. However, the start of a new year is a good time to reflect and think about what you want the coming year to look like. We went into 2021 with so much hope, and it kind of turned out to not be as "normal" as we were hoping. 2020 was so abnormal it was almost exciting. 2021 was just frustrating (aside from the obvious perks of having babies and all the family joy that came with that!). 

This year I don't have all the grand plans in my head of normal life, church, play dates, no stress/concerns about sniffles and sore throats. I'm going in more realistically and just focusing on myself. I spent all of 2021 stretching myself too thin and pouring everything I had into those around me. Time to reclaim a fraction of that energy and put it into myself! I don't know what this looks like yet. For starters, I'm focusing on not apologizing for things that really don't need an apology. "Sorry Dave, I just really need to shower." "Sorry, can I sneak in a half hour nap?" "Sorry we're having chicken strips and fries again this week." "Sorry, I really need some clothes that fit, so I spent a bit of money." What is that even about?! 

So number 1. Don't apologize unnecessarily.

Number 2. Put some effort into myself. I think not going out anywhere in 2020 and 2021, living in leggings, being pregnant, having a baby, going through postpartum depression, etc., I really forgot how to physically take care of myself. I'm going to focus on drinking water, eating better and more regularly, and looking in a mirror before I go out sometimes haha. It's the little things. 

Number 3. Allow myself to feel. Being an enneagram 1, I have a tendency to bury my feelings or to hate having feelings (negative ones in particular). I've been learning over the last year to acknowledge them and realize they're okay. It's okay to feel angry, to feel disappointed, etc. It's also okay to let loose and have fun sometimes! Aka... try not to be so uptight haha! Oh, Renee... You're so fun.

On New Years this year we were planning to have Scott & Ash over, but after Dom and Emilia had RSV the week before, Eva had started coughing the same wet cough. To be cautious, we cancelled our plans and opted for a zoom New Years instead. Eva hasn't actually gotten as sick as I was expecting, but definitely has the wet cough and crankiness going on! 

We had some technical difficulties with the zoom, but we played some games, had some drinks, chatted, and barely made it to midnight haha.


The next night Dave and I opened a deck of cards we got from Aunty Sonya where every card had a question on it. We finished the drinks we didn't have on New Years, and stayed up late playing crokinole. We had a super fun evening together away from TV and devices!




During the day, Rachel, Kyle and Rebecca came over and we exchanged Christmas gifts and they brought a birthday gift for Dom. We realized they hadn't seen Eva since her baptism we think, which was in November. A lot changes from 6-8 months!!

Also, I follow @turnertalks on Instagram, and she posted that she was getting rid of a bunch of 12-18 month girl clothes. I jumped on that and picked them up on New Years day from her home in Poco. Lots of cute H&M clothes, and even some Jax & Lennon items!

Eva's new Baby Yoda blanket




Yesterday we had a bunch of stuff to put in Mom & Dad's crawlspace (Christmas stuff, baby things Eva's outgrown, etc.) so we headed over there for lunch and Dom brought his NHL-opoly to play with Opa. Dom won. :)



Little lady starting to learn stairs. Also trying to figure out how to learn stairs while taking her fabric pepperoni up with her.

Scrub a dub dub, 3 kids and a tub.

This week schools are mostly closed, except for kids of essential workers, or kids with extra needs. For some reason this doesn't apply to preschool, but I think I may keep them home this week anyway. First of all, it's supposed to snow a bunch more so school will probably be cancelled anyway, but secondly, we're finally planning a trip out to Agassiz on the weekend and I'd love to not have to cancel that too because someone gets sick from preschool. 
The Omicron variant is so rampant right now I assume we're all going to get it in the next month or so. Let's just try and delay sickness another week though okay?! 

Looking forward to this weekend! Feeling optimistic :)

No comments:

Post a Comment