Tuesday 4 August 2020

BC Day Long Weekend

Every day leading up to the long weekend I had people asking if we had any plans. 
Nope! Pretty much never have plans around here. Things just come up and we go with the flow! We usually end up being busy every day, and this weekend was no exception.

Jeff and Marta were on their way out on a road trip, so they stopped by for breakfast on Friday morning before I had to go to work at the CBP (Community Birth Program). Scott biked over for a pancake during a quick break from work too!


I worked 10-2 at CBP, and then we went to Gramma & Grandpa's for dinner. Smokies, corn and potato salad! Loving these summer evenings and outdoor meals. Also really loving that the wasps (or "waps" as Dom calls them) haven't been bad so far this year. 

Eating her corn on the cob like a champ

On Saturday we ran some errands in the morning, and then went to Tynehead for a family walk. Considering we were outnumbered (sort of... if you include the dog), it went really well! The long boardwalk bridge in the Tynehead loop is open again after it got washed out earlier this year. 


We had a small dinner with the kids, and then after dinner Dave and I ordered sushi to have our own little "grown-up dinner" date night outside. Yum. I love sushi, and I love our backyard space. (Sure, it would be nice to have a bigger backyard, but for living in a townhouse it's pretty great!)


On Sunday, you guessed it... Dave was at church in the morning. Uncle Adam came over during nap time to hang out after a round of golf. Emilia was napping, and Dom decided to also take a long nap, so we actually got to talk and catch up with Adam - a nice change! 
Finally, Emilia woke up and had 45 minutes of solo attention. She and Adam played doctor and she was such a good little doc!


Listen to Uncle Adam's heart... "Good"

Check his ear... "Good"

Check his other ear... "Good"
Looks like Dr. Emilia gave Uncle Adam a clean bill of health!

Classic Renee, I went out earlier in the day and got carried away at the dollar store. I bought a bigger bubble wand for waving instead of blowing - much more toddler friendly.




Sometimes you just grave greens!

Sunday night was the return of hockey! We're in a best of 5 qualifier round for the Playoffs against Minnesota. We lost our first game, but I think we have potential! (I, being someone who has zero idea, but just wants everyone to be happy)

Then it was Monday! BC Day! We lose track of what days are holidays around here, so for us it mostly felt like a usual day. 



However, Rachel & Anthony are in town with their baby Evelyn visiting her family. We invited them over Monday morning and while they were here we realized they're the first people who aren't immediate family who we've had in our house in 4.5 months! Crazy!! (Not that we often have people who aren't in our immediate family over... but still crazy). 

Evelyn is just over 3 months old. She was the perfect visitor! Not a cranky peep out of her, and even had a nap in Emilia's crib!

Anthony is a teacher, and Dom warmed up to him quite quickly! Doesn't happen often with this shy guy, but I guess with their similar interests (cars, Star Wars, basketball) he was a shoe-in!

Look at this cutie with her dimples! I love the romper too. 


Par usual, Dom came down early from quiet time while I was enjoying a quiet moment myself out on the balcony. He came and sat down with me and we talked about whatever toddlers talk about... food, cars, poop, etc. He got quiet for a second, and asks me, "Mommy, what's overwhelmed?" It totally caught me off guard and I don't know why! It was such a grown up question to me. We talked about what it's like to feel overwhelmed, and what might cause that feeling, and what we can do when we're feeling that way. I love that he has this word in his toolbox now because I think this is often the way he feels when he's having a meltdown - overwhelmed. The way our little chat went reminded me of when I'd sit down with my parents and talk about things that were on my mind growing up. It was a weird, memorable moment for me. 

That brings us to yesterday afternoon! Gramma and Grandpa and Hiker came over and we all piled in the van and drove to Baskin Robins to pick out some ice cream! Then we raced over to Hazelgrove Park in Clayton to eat our ice cream soup, play basketball (well the boys did anyway), and run through the water park (well Emilia, Grandpa, and I did anyway!). 

We salvaged what we could of Dom's ice cream and put it in a cone for him when we got there. He really wanted to eat an ice cream cone. It was dripping like crazy and I was worried he would get upset getting so dirty and sticky, but as it turns out I was the only one with anxiety about it haha. 

We had a cone for Emilia too, but I couldn't handle watching her suffer Dom's sticky fate.


Hiker clearly didn't mind!

Haha clearly not upset!


Such a little lady <3



Dom shooting hoops with Grandpa and Daddy. 

Gramma and Grandpa came over for "Beef Bowlritos" from the Yum & Yummer cookbook. I had done all the prep earlier in the day, so just had to reheat a couple things. Super yummy and simple summer meal! I highly recommend!


Basically just all the taco toppings you want on top of brown rice instead of in a taco shell or wrap.

Some story time with Gramma before bed. These munchkins are still sharing a room every evening and they love it. It definitely means they're a little more tired and grumpy during the day, but they have so much fun. Dom has been waking Emilia up at 6am though... Not cool. 


No comments:

Post a Comment