Monday 15 April 2024

Lately - Life, Birthdays and Curveballs

 It's been a bit of a wild start to April. First off, I think the mice are gone. We've had no action in about 10 days and have sealed off the holes. What a gong show haha. 

I'll try to summarize. Most of it is regular life, but there have been a few curveballs thrown in recently. Plus Eva's third birthday party! 

April 5 I had a routine Dr. Appointment. You know the one... Not the most fun, but definitely worth it! After my appointment I had time before picking up the kids. I grabbed an iced coffee at Starbucks and went for a few laps around Godwin Park. I've been much more focused on self-care and using my down time wisely lately. It was so lovely. Had an F1 podcast in my ear, delicious coffee in my hand, and the smell of cherry blossoms in my nose. 

You know the one. "Just scooch all the way down to the end." 
Worst. 




On Saturday Emilia developed a fever in the afternoon which was a bummer. Eva had been sick with a fever earlier in the week, so not overly surprising. It did mean she had to miss out on our visit to a newish park in our area though! We met up with Ash & Phoebe there. Super cool park!

Something about a feverish child.

Making pancakes. As one does at a sand pit.


There must be some huge developmental leap when kids are 7. Dom has grown up a lot (physically, but very much emotionally) in the last few months. I have always wondered why the Big Little Feelings courses say ages 0-6. Maybe it's because when they're 7 there are such huge changes. Anyway, a year ago he NEVER would have been brave enough to climb up and sit that high at a brand new playground.

April 7 we went to church after being away for quite a few weeks. Dad was singing with the worship team for the first time here. I expect it won't be long before he's leading, which I'm excited about! Maybe I'll get back into playing bass at some point, but I'm going to take it slow.


On Palm Sunday everyone made these little jars that are now used for communion each week. So cute! Love that idea. 

April 9 I took Emilia to horseback riding. It was, once again, a new to her horse. The horse was already tacked and in a class, so we spent half an hour visiting the other horses, donkeys, ponies, etc. The horse she was on is gorgeous. She's a lot smaller than the horses she's been riding lately which is probably good for Emilia and her petiteness, but the horse (Lucy) was also a very different ride which took Emilia a bit to get used to. I could tell she was getting frustrated. She did great though as always. She's very resilient. 

Hello Applejack!


I think donkeys are so underrated. I mean look how stinking adorable they are!

These two look so good together! She's a picture-perfect horse


Wednesday morning (April 10) I did my usual routine and went to spin class. I have been feeling really strong and healthy and proud of myself for how far I've come. I was reflecting on the fact that I am nearly 3 years postpartum and I never thought I'd get to this point again. Pretty amazing! 

I hate selfies. I just cannot get the hang of them haha.

The irony of how good I've been feeling physically and emotionally and mentally lately is going to hit soon, don't worry.

Wednesday was Grandparents Day at the school! Oma popped in for a bit, and Gramma and Grandpa made the trip out from Agassiz for visit the kids. They were so excited. Apparently Dom was the first kid out at recess and just booked it straight to them. Partially to show off the tooth he lost that morning I'm sure, but also just excited to show them around and play.

Emilia worked with Oma to use paper to create our house <3






They had a few adopted grandchildren for recess too :)


Thursday I made a big pot of chicken noodle soup and a loaf of sourdough. I like to share soup when I make it because other than tortellini soup, most of my family doesn't love it and we end up with a ton of leftovers. I brought dinner over to Jeff's place and we ate with him and Owen. It was miserable and pouring rain, but the kids were restless and wanted to play outside. So they all went out and played and ran in the rain. My kids ended up stripping down to their underwear and continued running in the rain. Very grateful I had brought them jammies to change into haha!

Dom got a new stick and wanted this moody photo haha!



I long for the day when we have a yard off our main floor. 

Friday April 12 was not my favorite day. I am not going to go into much detail here until I know more about what's going on, but I ended up going to the hospital for some weird neurological symptoms and spent 4.5 hours there. Dave was at basketball at the time, so he rushed home and Dad came to bring the kids to school. 

Reminder... if you haven't taught your kids what to do in case of emergency yet, this is your sign to do it! Luckily nobody had to get a neighbour or call 9-1-1, but we did review the procedure "just in case". 

This is where the aforementioned irony comes in. I had a shower Friday morning and was literally thinking and reflecting about how great I've been doing. Feeling strong, feeling healthy, feeling in control, feeling balanced, etc. BAM! An hour later I'm off to emergency. 

*If you want to know more you can absolutely message me privately about it, and I'll share on here once I know more*

Waiting for the emerg doctor to assess me. Seated in this throne haha.

When we got home, I realized I was supposed to be making sourdough that day for Eva's birthday party on Sunday. I wasn't able to do any flipping of it or anything throughout the day and they were both bursting at the seams. I wasn't sure how they'd work out, but they were great still! Guess it's less of a precise science than I thought. 

Mom was planning to come over Friday evening so that we could have a date night, but given the day we'd had, she offered to take the kids overnight instead so we could rest and relax a bit more. We hit up the Social Tavern for Happy Hour & dinner, came home and walked the dog, and then watched the last half of the Order of the Phoenix in the theatre.




Nice walk to chat and process the day.

The OG 3!

Saturday I had lots to keep me busy prepping for Eva's party the next day. Dave was out at hockey and then at a shoot, so was out 1230-7pm. I was feeling really anxious to be alone, so Ash & Phoebe came to hang out for a while which was super super appreciated. 
In the evening Dave had Jeff & Scott over for the hockey game, so I sat upstairs and watched Vanderpump Villa and just took some zone-out time.

We made cupcakes


Sunday morning we went to church again. I think the kids are getting used to it :)


After Eva's nap we decorated cupcakes and set up for the party!






In the afternoon it was party time! Thank the maker the weather was nice and we were able to have the party outside! We had 25 people which was just our families and the neighbours. 




Mr. M teaching everyone about fixing the motorcycle.

So grateful for our spot. Picnic area in the back, and then lots of space to play and not worry about traffic! 

Some more very serious fixing work.


Aunty Lasagna towing the very loaded wagon haha!


The stomp rocket gift was a "must break open now" kind of thing :)

She didn't actually get to blow out her candle because it never lit due to the wind, but that's okay. We just cheered as if she did it and she didn't seem to mind :)

Eva kept proudly telling everyone "It's my birthday." She was feeling very special. 


She was a great gift opener. Everything got an "Ohh wowww!!!!" or a *GASP!* very sweet.



Today Eva and I went for a playdate with Connie & Myles. Eva took a while to warm up, but her and M bonded over their love of Halloween songs and Baby Shark haha. Also Connie has the sweetest bunny in the world named Quinn. He is absolute perfection! Literally just a living stuffy. <3

I love him. So friendly and patient


Wild Eva came out eventually

Back at home and finally getting to play with some of her birthday presents! It was an absolute whirlwind weekend with a lot of mixed emotions. 


Random moments...

He's got a sick slapshot! He also started his next round of Ice hockey with First Shift this month. He's had two sessions and is still absolutely loving it and is so driven. Who wants to sponsor our kids' extracurriculars since they're all selecting the most expensive things apparently haha!

Dom with two of his closest friends <3 I imagine them all graduating high school together and us having these photos to look back on. 

We were in need of an after-dinner outing to the park. Love that they can do the teeter totter on their own now haha. 

I just LOVE the view from our kitchen. Townhouse livin' at its finest. 

Dom handed me this note one day. i asked what it was for and he said it's him thinking about how much he loves me haha. Loves me so much it makes him sad <3

Animal lover!

Dom's teams <3 Every morning and night he plays with his NHL team logos I made him too. He is SO excited for the Playoffs, We got his board to make his playoff bracket and he could not be more excited. Love it.

Dom was frustrated that his balance wasn't great on one skate, so he wanted to work on core strength.

Making the most of the mixed up playdough.

Kids found the costume bucket :)


Mid-week stretch and breath



Little miss love, herself!

Eva rode her strider successfully all the way to the park and back. Entering a new era!

Dom came down late one evening with a little notepad explaining an idea he had for an app or website he wants us to design or something haha.

My new fav afternoon drink. Costco had these cold brews on sale last week. So yummy!

Taking an afternoon breath in the sunshine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment