Monday 1 January 2024

Merry Christmas & Happy Birthday & Happy New Year!

Let's just pick up where we left off! 

On the 21st Dom's class celebrated his birthday! We brought cupcakes, and Dom was so excited for it all. Their class was doing Family Reading in the mornings that whole week too, so I went to that in the morning and got a sneak of a couple of Dom's art works around the classroom. 




Eva and I happened upon a picture of Emilia up on the school TV reading with her friends as we were leaving!

December 21 Advent Activity: Shrinky Dinks & Charlie Brown
I didn't realize how many times they call Charlie Brown "stupid" in that show haha. The kids hardly commented on it which surprised me. I expect some name-calling or questions in the coming weeks. 


On the 22nd it was the kids' last day of school. Eva sat in one spot for well over an hour playing with her Calico Critters stuff she got from Oma at our family Christmas which is unheard of. Dave came for pick-up so it was a full pull! The kids both got their learning reports from school (report cards) which is always fun! There were no surprises (which is how it should be). They are both doing great and loving their teachers. Dom is "Extending" in his reading, reading far above his grade level. Emilia is "Extending" in her art comprehension. We are very proud of them both!


We dressed up her puppy <3


December 22 Advent Activity: Happy Birthday Davaughn!
Emilia was invited to her first birthday party and we were lucky enough to be able to bring the siblings as well. It was hosted at the Morgan Play Centre in Morgan Crossing. Sort of like Go Bananas, but less... bananas haha. Makenna was there too, so it was great to catch up with Elissa and talk more than just at drop-off and pick-up. I also got my first Isabelle snuggle in since she wasn't in the car seat/stroller! 






December 23 Advent Activity: Family Games Night
I picked up some pho for dinner for Dave and I, and after dinner the kids set up a game of Floor is Lava for all of us to play. We also played some Keepy-Uppy with balloons left over from my birthday. We put Eva to bed at 7 and let the big kids stay up late to play a game with us. We played Frustration. The number of 6's Emilia rolled is absolutely ridiculous. She kicked all our butts. Dom handled it with grace, and the game definitely lived up to it's name! We will have to do this more often. I treasure my evenings, but it was really nice to have that time with just the big kids. 

In the morning Dom said to me, "Mom, when do we get to wrap the gifts we got for each other?" I stared blankly at him, because I completely forgot I intended to bring the kids shopping to pick out gifts for each other like I did last year. We all packed up and went to the Dollar Store and traded off who got to come in with me. Dom & Emilia each picked 2 things for each other they thought the other would like, and one thing for Eva. They were very proud to wrap and give their gifts on Christmas morning. Next year I'll have to try to remember to do that earlier... oops. 

Dave also changed the brakes and rotor on the rear brakes of the van and invited the kids to watch. That was a lovely treat!

This brings us to December 24. Christmas Eve. The final day of Advent! Before we get to the Advent activity for this day, I will share that Marta took me for a facial at the Skoah Spa in Port Moody! It was a delayed birthday gift and it was also my first facial! What an incredibly relaxing pampering experience! I felt so clean and fresh afterwards, and then proceeded to go buy some skincare products to take proper care of my skin. I couldn't spring for their exact recommendations, but found some stuff that will hopefully work for me! I don't wear a lot of makeup on my face (BB cream at most - never full foundation), so I will try to keep my skin healthy. 


December 24 Advent Activity (the same every year): Church & Stockings!
This year church looked muuuuch different than usual! We're a bit between churches right now, but we have visited a church in South Surrey and decided to attend their Christmas Eve service. It was at 430pm and it was a caroling service in a barn! The theme was "We will make room" and it was so beautiful. Eva was a bit bonkers and kept yelling out "Goooo Tell it on the Mountaiiiin" during and between songs, but nobody seemed to mind. 
We have some good friends who go there so I was excited to see them and their littles too!
This church typically does communion each week, but during Advent they don't, so we haven't been a part of their communion. At the Christmas Eve service, some members of the community baked fresh bread and we just took a chunk to break with our neighbours. At the back they had pots of mulled wine (like real wine) and apple cider. There was a 10 minute break in the service for the communion/connection portion. Normally I squeam (is that a word? It should be...) at that sort of thing, but it felt very cozy and natural and comfortable. 
I don't know what the future holds for us, but for now, this feels good!

At the end of the service everyone went outside for the candle lighting and sang Silent Night together. We gave Eva a candle and her excitement was palpable. She literally squealed, "Eeeeeee hee hee!!! A CANDLE!" It's not a large group of people, so there's not a lot of anonymity when your kid is the loud one. Alas, she was adorable :)







We got to pet the goats before hand. They were very friendly! Begging for scritches like dogs

I packed buns for the kids because I knew they'd be hungry after the service. We came home, made sure everyone had eaten, and then did our stockings. The kids each got a stocking from us, and then Dave put together ours. They were all very gracious gift receivers this year and didn't even get upset that Eva got a bluetooth microphone thing while they got a deck of cards and.. I don't even remember what Emilia's extra little gift was haha. 


Eva discovering the orange at the bottom of her stocking. A classic!



A rare photo of a willing Dom

One of the last captures of a mouth full of teeth!

Before bed, Dave read the kids "The Night Before Christmas" which was a tradition in his house growing up :). Then it was time for our Christmas Eve! 

We had some wine and beer, and I made a yummy charcuterie board! We did our scratch and wins (and lost on all but one of them) and reflected on our year. Then we decided to watch the Grinch because we were tired and hadn't done that yet this season! 

Got all the gifts under the tree!


This brings us to Christmas Day! I woke up at 6am to get the cinnamon buns in the oven to be ready for the kids! They came down around 7am and we slowly opened gifts, played with gifts, and ate cinnamon buns for breakfast. We noticed throughout the morning that Dom's energy wasn't where it should be and he tanked later on with a fever and cough. Shoot. Christmas Day! Good thing we had lots of quiet activities to do! 
We had zero plans on Christmas Day, so we just relaxed, colored, played, rested, and hung out the whole day. My Christmas gift to myself was making whatever I wanted for dinner. I love to cook, but don't like sharing my kitchen haha. The kids were all occupied and I borrowed Kirstin's air fryer to help me out. My menu was...

- Pan-fried top sirloin
- Air-fried chicken breast
- Garlic mashed potatoes
- Air-fried brussels sprouts with bacon & balsamic glaze
- Asparagus

It was SO good. I went in with zero expectations of the kids eating it so was not disappointed when Eva didn't want anything. Dom was resting on the couch, Emilia thoroughly enjoyed the steak and chicken, and Dave and I thoroughly enjoyed everything. 


He loves these "Who Would Win" books! He got an Extreme Animal Rumble, which is 5 books in one. It's been a daily reader since.

Also they are a Grade 3 reading level according to Scholastic, so that's pretty great that he's reading them!


Eva's gift from Dom. New markers and a Paw Patrol coloring book

Her big gift from us. A Calico Critters house and some more characters/accessories to add to the ones she got from Oma! This was graciously gifted to us and has been around and loved for many decades, so that makes it extra special :)

Emilia wanted a picture with all her gifts haha...
Her pink owl clock from Dom

You can't make this kid up. A week before Christmas I asked if there was one more thing they wanted, and she whispered, "All I want for Christmas is my family... If you really have to wrap one more thing for me, maybe wrap a picture of our family." So I printed a bunch of photos of her and our family and whatever pictures I thought would make her feel proud and put them in a little album. That may have been a highlight of the gift-opening for her.

"Fancy" pens and a quality art book! It's already over half full. Front and back haha!


Other gift from Dom - a book of fun metallic papers for her card making


Straight to work with her art! Copying the picture on the back of the package.

Looooove this!!! <3

Scott brought this over for Dave, so naturally I did it. A cast iron skillet to make a Hedwig sugar cookie...
Expectation...

Reality. Haha!

Dom got a Pokemon kit, so Dave made them a game board and they learned how to actually play Pokemon

And then Dom started tanking.

Emilia and I (mostly I) did their new 300 piece puzzle. She finished the last 40 or so while I started dinner.

Speaking of dinner. Nom nom nommmm!

After bedtime, we went downstairs and played some darts which I lost miserably. However, when Dave was upstairs in the bathroom I decided to throw three darts to take a picture for the gram. I hit two bullseyes with those three darts. Why can't I shoot like that normally?! 


Boxing Day was a day planned for Agassiz. Dom woke up with a fever and we mutually agreed he and I needed to stay home. Dave and the girls went to Gramma and Grandpa's for the day while we rested. 

I was really sad to miss out as we were planning for a full day plus a sleepover and then a birthday breakfast for Dom the next day! Poor kid was so sick :(. 
While I missed out on all the fun, I did have a super relaxing and productive day. I decided to take down the Christmas tree and got to clean the whole place plus sit down and watch Elf with Dom. Mom brought me leftovers from their Christmas dinner for lunch. I ate leftovers from our Christmas dinner for dinner, and then the next day I had leftovers from Agassiz Christmas dinner! So many Christmas dinners! :)

He spent his entire day here. With a very brief reprieve to play basketball in his room with the new hoop Oma got him.

Emilia made Dom a card at Gramma and Grandpa's. 
"Sorry Dom. I hope that you feel better tomorrow for your birthday." *Sad Emilia face*. 
Signed "Sorry Dom" 
She really missed him all day.


The kids got some hefty nerf guns for Christmas/birthday! I am looking forward to nicer weather so we can try them outside and do some target practice. They're intense. For now they're shot across the main floor and NOT at people haha.



December 27th was Dom's 7th Birthday! He woke up like a new man! He still looked tired, but didn't have a cough, didn't have a fever, and was excited to make the most out of his day. He spent the morning unwrapping all the birthday and Christmas gifts he missed out on the day before so that was special! He's a blessed boy :)! 

We warned him we likely wouldn't be able to have people over, but by the afternoon we decided to put out an invite to members of my family to see who might feel comfortable coming over still. In the end Mom, Dad, Jeff and Owen came over for pizza and Dom's dessert request - worms & dirt. D got a hockey net and a shooter-tutor so naturally time was spent outside. 

His top front tooth was getting more and more wiggly, so I asked if he'd be willing to take one last selfie with me before he loses that baby tooth and his face changes forever. He obliged, and not 30 minutes later it came out! Now he looks like a real hockey player! :) As a last minute plan, Jeff put Owen down at our place and stayed to watch the new Mission Impossible in the theatre. 

The Birthday Dude. Trying so hard to have the energy to have a birthday haha





Perfect game for D&E age level.

Our last selfie (with Eva creeping in as she does)...

...before he lost that tooth and I'm not ready for him to start growing those big goofy adult teeth and look like even more like a big kid!!


Owen the rocket in the background



Emilia very proudly showing off all her new art to Opa



Showing Opa & Oma her photo album

Owen loves Sherlock and just laid down to be able to look at him for a while. It was adorable

I love this boy who made me a Mom!! <3

Happy Birthday Dominic!

The 28th had lots on the calendar too (as this week always does)! There was some time in the morning for Dom to practice his hockey in the garage and I caught Dave playing horses with Eva. 



After naptime we got ready for the De Jong Christmas at the Oasis at Elim! We had a full meatballs and gravy dinner (aka "Oma meal") with Bobo Moma and almost a full pull of local family! The cousins all had a stinking blast running around the place and for sure formed some great memories. I remember being D&E's age and running around with my cousins at Opa & Oma Gerber's house making all sorts of noise and playing all sorts of games. 






Afterwards, Jeff, Scott and Dad came over to watch the Philadelphia vs Canucks game at our place with Dom. It is sort of becoming a birthday tradition until we can one day take him to a game for his birthday. He was exhausted and both he and Emilia went to bed after the 2nd period. Respect. I would have too if we didn't have company haha! After the game and everyone had left Dave and I played more darts til like 11pm. 

December 29 was our only day where we had nothing in the calendar! I walked the dog to check out the damage a very hard-working beaver is doing down the road, and Dom built one of his Home Depot cars from Gramma & Grandpa with his new tools! In the evening I went to watch Owen for Jeff & Marta while they went out with some friends. We figure we can give Mom a break from babysitting and swap off every so often haha. Sounds fair to me. I ate fish crackers and watched the Crown. Not complaining!





The snack of choice for any real grown-up!

December 30th after nap time we piled in the van and went to Richmond where Jeff's friend had rented some ice. We skated for just over an hour and then went upstairs for some pizza before heading back home. It was Eva's first time skating, and Emilia's first time since las New Years, so we weren't sure what to expect. They did great and had lots of fun! Definitely relied on the bars, but Emilia was thrilled to try something new. Dom enjoyed watching the older people play hockey and pass the puck around a bit. 



She fell a lot, but constantly had a huge smile on her face. She has some serious determination.








I feel like I look like I'm 17 in this picture haha


New Years Eve was yet again a very full day. In the morning we went to a skate with the new church we've been visiting where they rented some ice in South Surrey! I forgot to take any pictures, but it was fun again, and Dave and I even got to do a lap or two without kids and holding hands which was cute. 

After skating it was home for naptime during which we cleaned the house in preparation for the evening! Between nap and bedtime we went to Jeff & Marta's for an hour or so. They were having lots of friends over for a Christmas-New Years Party, but since we we had our own plans we crashed early for a little visit. Also to keep our house tidy haha!

From there, we came home and had Scott, Ash, Phoebe, Jesse, Kirstin, Wren and Nate over for dinner and New Years celebrations! We had gourmet nachos and pepperoni pizzas for dinner, and lots of drinks and snacks throughout the evening. After the littles went to bed we played a couple games with D&E and then did a little New Years celebration before sending them to bed! 


She's always ready to put on a huge beautiful smile for the camera






Happy New Year to everyone! I don't do resolutions officially, but I do want to take some time to reflect and think about what this year may hold and how I feel is best to spend my/our time!

No comments:

Post a Comment