Saturday 9 December 2023

Lately: Sickness & the First Week of Advent!

I last left off with me scrambling after our big work fundraiser and with Dom having a stomach bug. From there, every other person in the family except me also got the stomach bug staggered throughout the week. I thought I was safe, but then I got it last night. Thankfully it's just been like a 12 hour thing for each of us, so I count ourselves lucky. Anyway, I hit a wall on last Sunday of being completely burnt out from work and sickness, but since then things have started looking up. We started our Advent Activity calendar which is always a highlight for me (and the kids). So here we go!

First off, the kids showing of some of their art work... 


This was an idea by Dom. Get some paper stuck together and draw an F1 track. He was getting frustrated with his track and then Emilia came and joined him and they created their own little world map :) They were so excited about it they made a second one for Emilia. 

Dom's clay portrait from school

Emilia's beautiful coloring page. They've discovered smelly markers at school. Very nostalgic smells haha. Also she's just constantly making love notes for me <3


Nature is very confused lately. This is November 30... Not April!

I went to work on the Wednesday, and then that night both Eva and Dave went down with the stomach bug. We were 4 days clear at that point, so we let our guard down. 


That brings us to December 1st... the first day of advent activities! We had something else planned, but due to sickness we had to pivot.


Advent Day 1: The Grinch in the theatre it is!


Advent Day 2: Emilia and Mommy go to Aunty Lasagna's to make cards. Dom & Dave play some video games in the theatre. Eva... doesn't care yet, so she was shafted this day :)

Emilia wanted some hair and makeup for her day of card-making. Eva also got her hair curled and Emilia helped her out with some makeup







Poor Emilia started feeling unwell in the afternoon and went down with the same tummy bug as the others that night. She handled it like an absolute champ!

Advent Day 3: Color wooden ornaments



Dom's turned into custom Pokeballs :)

December 3 is also the day I hit a wall. 100% worn down, feeling the affects of survival-mode meals, exhausted from very little sleep all week, hadn't yet recovered from the craziness of work, etc. Mom cooked us some meatballs and gravy and it was sooo good to have real food! 
That night I also went to the New Testament Small Group again. We discussed Mark & John, and had some good conversation beyond that as well. Somehow I have to get a lot of reading done for January too! 


Monday I was feeling a lot better and had a burst of energy. I sold a bunch of stuff, and we upgraded Eva into a bigger crib. I'm not ready for her to be in a "big girl bed" yet because she'd be out constantly and I don't think it would be safe for her, but this crib has been great! Since moving her to the new crib (with way more/larger teddies in bed with her), we haven't had to go into her room once. Felt so good to get the girls' room clean and organized. So good that I then moved on to Dom's room with help from Dave. I'm anticipating all the Christmas items we're about to acquire!




In my energy burst I also decided to groom the dog :) That was a job that was desperately needed and he's so cute! <3

Advent Day 4: We were supposed to watch Frosty, but I couldn't get it working, so I threw on some random Dreamworks Christmas shorts instead. They were just fine haha. 


Advent Day 5: Family trip to Potter's and Emilia's horseback riding lesson. The kids were enthralled at Potters, and Emilia felt very proud showing off her hard work at the barn :)


In the evening, Dom soaked up his tidy room and worked away at his desk :)


Who is this handsomeness!! 

Wednesday I went to spin and work again, and then after school we did the next Advent activity! Steve and I have putting competitions every so often before our bi-weekly meetings and I'll just say that I have yet to lose.
Advent Day 6: Fill Christmas Ornaments. A favorite for us. I bought a bunch of Christmas confetti, pompoms, bells, etc. and clear ornaments from the dollar store and they spent a solid 45 minutes filling them and hanging them on the tree. 






Advent Day 7: The kids Christmas concert! I made a huge pot of chili and brought it to Mom & Dad's for us to have for dinner after school to avoid too much back and forth before the concert. We managed to get a half-decent picture in front of the tree too so that's a win haha.

Eva and I were checking out Oma's Christmas decorations and I found this, which I remember absolutely loving when I was little. I'd play with it every year. Mom, if you're ever getting rid of this, I'll take it!


Dom was feeling a little nervous about the concert, so we'll allow him to have those feelings for the pictures too :)

Eva in this photo reminds me of a picture of me around this age standing in front of a piano (I think)... maybe Mom or Dad can scrounge up that photo if they have any idea what I'm talking about.


Eva couldn't see and was feeling restless from our seats, so Amy invited her to come stand by her in the aisle. <3

The kids both did sooo well! There's a video of Uncle Jeff at a preschool Christmas concert wearing a very similar head-piece and they are just identical it's hilarious.

And Emilia was just a little angel up there :) Sweetest thing ever.

Advent Day 7: Friendsmas
That brings us to yesterday! Kids went to school, I worked and cleaned most of the day, and we had Jesse & Kirstin over for a Friendsmas before the season got too busy! We had appetizers and snacks for dinner and the kids exchanged gifts. 

Nate is getting so big! Crawling around, sitting up, starting to pull himself up :)



In the evening, Dave and I watched "Air" which was excellent - recommend!! At around 9pm I suddenly started feeling unwell, and thought maybe I ate too much. As it turns out, I Just got the stomach bug everyone else had 6 days after the last person had any symptoms. Boo!!! Not a fun night, but feeling fine today so I'll take it.

Today Emilia has a high fever, so hopefully she heals up quick from that and everyone else stays healthy for the Gerber Christmas next weekend! 
Today we got some surprise snow and Eva ran to the door saying, "OhhhhH!!!! My first day of snowww!!!" Nice surprise :)

We haven't gotten to Advent for today yet, but hopefully after some meds and rest Emilia will be feeling up to it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment